Riding Gear or Suspension Upgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
On a limited budget - a decision between two options..

Suspension upgrade, front and rear via the current group buy, OR CyclePort riding gear.

1. Suspension upgrade might keep me from crashing. Better suspension, my 41k rear shock is, uhh, 'weak'... OR

2. In a crash event, CyclePort might keep me from... (bad thoughts here)

So, for approx the same amount of money... which way would you decide?

What are you currently using for gear? What shape is it in? Can your gear survive a bit longer?

Glass half full...... go with the suspension, and follow thought process 1.

Glass have empty... go with option 2 (but avoid the self-fulfilling prophesy aspect, please!)

If your shock is OEM with 41,000 miles, you already know what you should do.

Group buy on suspension then wait until NAFO for the Cycleport. Problem solved- next!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I already had a Wilbers and Eibach fork springs when I bought my CyclePort gear, so I didn't have your dilemma.

Warchild wrote:

If your shock is OEM with 41,000 miles, you already know what you should do.
Ya think!!! :dribble:
My advice: IIRC, you have full geat (jacket, pants, etc.). Upgrade the suspension.

Faced similar problem this month and I chose to go with better safety gear.

Like so many newbies, I bought cheap and didnt really know what 'fit' was right until I started riding 20k+ miles a year. My helmet was just a tad to big, pants a little on the cheap side, yadda, yadda.....

Did a TON of research and finally went out and spent some $$ to get the right gear, head to toe with the right fit b/c you just never know.

Now your situation may differ...if your gear fits right and is in good condition, you probably know you suspension needs work with that kind of mileage.

My suspension upgrades will come with the next GB if some turds dont mess this one up and WC is generous enough to organize another one. :)

to me its a no brainer

RIDING GEAR

I look at things as wants or needs.

To me quality gear is a need and suspension is a want

Oh come on, this is easy...

BOTH!

That's what credit cards are for!!!!

If you have enough for one, just CC the other, and then stop eating. Grocery bills are a killer!

Upgrade the suspension by losing 20 pounds, then get the gear and ride like you're invincible!*

I've found the bike rides pretty good if you get your ass off the seat and put those knees to good use as a suspension upgrade.

The gear will still work when you decide to ride something else that day.

* BTW, you aren't. I meant to say invisible.

40K miles+ on the OEM shock...with the roads you ride on regularly? :eek: Then add Shauna on the back... :blink: And you feel the need to ask? :unsure:

This year: suspension! Hope for Santa to be verrry niiice.

Next year: Cycleport.

Don,

Buy the riding gear and the used '03 shock for $75 shipped from FJRFloyd and nurse the used shock through another year until your financial picture looks prettier (or, in reference to your other thread - you regain your FJR love or dump the bike altogether - I'm hoping for the former).

Here's linky (I hope):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=54

Good luck,

RsvlFeej

With only 9 grand on the clock I opted for the gear. I like mine a lot. Tomorrow it will be in the mid thirties so I'll try the quilted liner for the first time.

I too, ride the pegs a lot so I have some time left on the rear shock.

to me its a no brainer
RIDING GEAR

I look at things as wants or needs.

To me quality gear is a need and suspension is a want
+1 It can be used on any bike.

I gave my nearly new 06 shock away to someone in a similar boat. All I asked for in return was the old shock as a JIC I need to send the penske out for a rebuild.

Maybe someone here will do the same for you.

Suspension upgrade, front and rear via the current group buy, OR CyclePort riding gear.
If it was me (whew, and it ain't :dribble: ), depending completely on the condition of the gear you now own (haven't read the full thread either), I'd buy gear and somebody who's upgraded stocker with less miles than yours.

Gear is an absolute necessity, at least to me, and if you don't weigh 270+ pounds, and you don't by a long shot IIRC, upgraded suspension is great but not really a necessity on an FJR. I write that with a twinge because the Wilber's I got in the first buy has been completely awesome once resprung. One of the best upgrades, imo, but I've always had great gear. :grin:

dougc

helping...really

Latest posts