Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggiiiiinnnngggg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonF

Reaction score
OK. I bought my 05 FJR just over a month ago and have enjoyed the last 1700 miles. It had a V-Stream barndoor on it and it either directed wind blast right at my head or buffeted me and pulled me forward. I removed that and installed a Cee Bailey concave sport screen. It is a little less noisey and I can move the screen up and get calmer, slightly quieter air as needed. Mostly I keep it all the way down. My ears are sensitive to noise and I am using ear plugs. I just bought a different type of plugs tonight and will try them tomorrow.

Although I have had minor ringing in my ears for a while it has definately worsened and that is not acceptable. I ran with no screen for about 2 weeks while waiting for my Cee Bailey and that was better but I took all the wind across my chest and shoulders which was a little tiring on the highway. My last bike was completely naked so I got all the wind spread evenly across my body and virtually no wind blast at my helmet. Yes there was air my helmet was riding through but it was not being directed all at my helmet like it is now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decreasing wind noise? I'd hate to have to sell this bike. I've wanted one for quite a while.

I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and tried several different screens but still had the ringing at the end of a ride. I finally put a Cal-Sci screen on and the ringing, while still there (I'm stuck with that for life) isn't any worse at the end of a ride. The size you need depends on your height, they have a lot of info on their site to determine which one you'll need. What I've found with the Cal-Sci is that the airflow past my helmet is smooth free from buffeting. I still wear ear plugs or noise-blocking ear speakers whenever I ride, even if it's only around the block.

YMMV, and all that

Griff

My Rifle fairing is very quiet. Plus I use Etomotic ER4 ear buds. For me, this combo works very well. With the ER4's in, I can't hear peeps talking. Or the wonderful exhaust note of my Ultra.

Slap yourself in the feckin nuts for being a dumb ass.. Poke a damned qtip right through yer stoopid head..

For feckin shitsakes! Buy a damned cage where the wind ain't a factor.........Geebus feckin craphole!!!!..

I tell ya,..

The next got damned crybaby who whines about this platform is going to catch a feckin verbal ass kicking from yours truly.

Buy a feckin yugo and drive the fecker off a bridge..

Yeah I'm pissed..

:jester:

I guess I should have said that I dont have a million dollars to find the perfect windshield. I was really looking for other alternatives. I have been researching the natural tinnitus (sp?) cures and considering seeing a doctor about it. I notice that if I put my hand flat under the chin of my helmet the noise is greatly reduced. I think there used to be a company that made an elastic type filler that went under the chin area. Has anyone ever tried such a thing with any luck?

Slap yourself in the feckin nuts for being a dumb ass.. Poke a damned qtip right through yer stoopid head..For feckin shitsakes! Buy a damned cage where the wind ain't a factor.........Geebus feckin craphole!!!!..

I tell ya,..

The next got damned crybaby who whines about this platform is going to catch a feckin verbal ass kicking from yours truly.

Yeah I'm pissed..

Come on Bust, don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.

Jon, I suggest you buy a Goldwing. Really, I have 5k on rented ones and they are quiet to ride compared to many other bikes.

Well... You can run an ipod and crank up the volume.

I won't try to interpret Busts first post, although I think it would be great fun...

I'd suggest getting better ear plugs, and or seeing a Dr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the search for Windshield Nirvana! More information is needed to help you like: height X inseam. For instance, I am 6'2" x 32" inseam. That information helps others know how high you sit in the saddle compared to them.

I've tried several windshields and haven't yet found perfection. The absolute quietest windshield I've owned is the CalSci extra tall. Seriously, I could ride without earplugs and hear at the end of a ride. Theproblem for me is that it restricts so much air I "cooked" in the Summer....it is over 100 degrees for days on end here in Central Cal. Any temps over 80 degrees and I was H-O-T.

Many owners keep 2 windshields: one for Winter and a shorter one for Summer.

Good luck on finding an easy quick and inexpensive solution.

Slap yourself in the feckin nuts for being a dumb ass.. Poke a damned qtip right through yer stoopid head..For feckin shitsakes! Buy a damned cage where the wind ain't a factor.........Geebus feckin craphole!!!!..

I tell ya,..

Yeah I'm pissed..

Sumbuddy needs tuh re-fill his "Happy Pill" perscripshun. En kwik, tew!

A buddy of mine had really bad tinnitis from too many years of shooting in close quarters with crappy ear protection. At some point, I don't know what, he ended up having surgery to have one of those little bones replaced with a titanium replica. He says the ringing is gone. Maybe you should see a doctor and ask about it.

I guess I should have said that I dont have a million dollars to find the perfect windshield. I was really looking for other alternatives. I have been researching the natural tinnitus (sp?) cures and considering seeing a doctor about it. I notice that if I put my hand flat under the chin of my helmet the noise is greatly reduced. I think there used to be a company that made an elastic type filler that went under the chin area. Has anyone ever tried such a thing with any luck?
Windjammer clicky

Quiet rider clicky

Some helmet manufacturers offer a chin skirt as an accessory.

Thanks to some of you for useful information. The earplugs I bought fit my ears better and made a huge difference. The ones I had been using felt like they were in good but were apparently too thick to fit properly.

As for Mr bustanut. You're a fucking asshole. If a certain topic gets your panties in a wad do the rest of us a favor and dont read it so we dont waste our time reading your reply.

I think what you're referring to is the NOJ Quiet Rider. I used one when I had my Nighthawk (no windscreen) and they do work pretty well. Bit warm in the summer, but definitely cut the noise.

CLICK HERE

Griff

Tnitus... lived with it for years. Exposure to rock concerts, mainframe computer rooms, machine shops, and firearms adds up.

Get some custom ear plugs and use them. Use them when riding (even with still air on a bike there's pressure on the ear as you're moving). Use them when mowing the lawn. Use them all the time.

Your hearing will thank you.

As for Mr bustanut. You're a fucking asshole. If a certain topic gets your panties in a wad do the rest of us a favor and dont read it so we dont waste our time reading your reply.
Bustanut has a wad in his panties? I'm sure that's where he just keeps his chew, that's all.