RIP Beemerdons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to be there.

It didn't work out.

sad.png
You know Don would call you all sorts of goober names and cursing you in German for this!

smile.png
Yeah.

But if I didn't do what I'm doing, I wouldn't be able to go for long rides or buy new motorcycles.

We all can't be Don....

He would understand.

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad news to say the least. I liked Don, even though he tried to make it a hard thing to do. I enjoyed his company at the gatherings and his insight of the roads of the southwest and Mexico. He was a good guy and I'll miss him.

It did not work out for me, either, to be there.
Of course it did work out for Don to be there.

So go figure.

Hopefully, he is smiling at this poor attempt at humor in a very sad situation.
I would not be so sure of that.

How many times has the big lug shouted IN, and never showed up.

Well, shit. I should have been in Phoenix by now, and it's just not meant to be. I'm not going to make it. Work, kids, and just about everything else that could come up, came up. I've got to call Donna. Crap!

Sorry that I couldn't be there to raise a glass with everyone in Don's memory. Thanks Glen for sending those nice stickers out - Don and my departed Black Falcon brethren will be with me every time I'm on the track.....

JSNS%252520sticker.JPG

One of my fav pics with Don was one of his. He's in it but I don't remember who took it. I saved it to my computer but my computer blew up. I looked for the thread it was in but couldn't find it. Then remembered I used it in a video. So I edited the pic into this mini-movie. It was at SWFOG Taos NM in 2010. We are somewhere in Co. near chama where the Cumbre & Toltec train makes a stop.

Turns out I have a copy of that photo. Looks like I gave credit to Good2Go for taking it

DSC_1145 by mtberscott, on Flickr

I've been away from the forums (and motorcycling entirely, frankly) for a couple years now. I was thinking about Don and how his shoulder recovery was coming along earlier today, so I figured I'd login to see if I could find anything. And I found this
sad.png

Very sad. We'll miss you, Don!

Don.%20beemerdonsquot.%20AZB%20FJR%20copy.jpg
Don

Don,

It’s been a hard day as you can imagine. Many of your friends still cannot believe that you are gone. I feel it will be a long time before this really sinks as you are still too present in everyone’s lives.

I went to your funeral today. You would not believe how many of your friends showed up. Drove in non stop, flew in, motorcycled in. Some of your best friends could not make, some you never met expressed regret they not being able to come. But they were all here, everyone one of them in spirit

Brian wore a suit (photo op - never saw that before), Cooley spoke and as always, was Cooley. Los Robustos gave a shout out. It was a beautiful day for a farewell. Sun shine, warm temps, children laughing in the playground behind us.

Seth, you would have been proud. He stumbled at first getting his footing, but came on strong and uplifted everyone. Give him time to adjust and he will be alright. All your moments and guidance and patience with him as a father will carry him forward thru life.

Donna. If you didn’t know - you were the love of her life……

I’m sure you enjoyed the wake at Brian’s house. He didn’t show it, but he will miss you greatly, as will everyone. Stories were told, mostly true. All were about how “I remember Don, what Don did for me” They were very personal. I kept getting the feeling that no matter if you were in the US, Canada, or anywhere in the world, if you were a friend of Don’s - then you are a friend of mine.

There are very few people that can say that.

I don t know what else to say. I can barely see thru the tears. I never used to cry, but over the years, it has come easily and I don’t know why.

Is it because I have lost someone I care about? Is it because I have failed to tell them how much I care about them and love? Is it because I realize, in the grand scheme of things, they have touched more lives than I ever will.

I don’t know

Don, I do know that you were a kind and gentle soul and that you are no longer here and I will miss you.

Until me meet again,

Safe Travels…

Thank you Bob, as one who was there you expressed the day wonderfully.

During and after taps at the grave side part of the service we could hear children at a playground nearby having pure child fun. Don was a great father, I'm sure he was pleased.

To Don's friends around the world who could not be here today rest assured we could feel your spirit with us.

A group of us in the PNW met to share a toast to Don.

24348442821_1d0043eec5_z.jpg

Lucy was there with us.

24322637042_9e421803b2_z.jpg

And Salma too.

24063107849_992dec1b3c_z.jpg

We talked about our favorite Don stories and memories and rides.

24135291530_abb06ba460_z.jpg

24135293480_c94a7b141c_z.jpg

24404702496_2191804605_z.jpg

24135299900_fc5b7810f7_z.jpg

Then it was time to toast. Dr. Rich read a touching letter from ShinyPartsUp, and we poured a shot of Irish Whiskey for Don.

24135295900_0bd34bc4e8_z.jpg

Raised our glasses in remembrance

24135290240_3cc546db45_z.jpg

Being as Don wasn't here to finish his shot, we each helped out best we could:

24135297570_59b57e4e6d_z.jpg

Safe travels, our Irish friend, and may Lucy and Salma greet you at Heaven's Gate, along with the rest of our dear friends.

I found out too late to attend the funeral so I did what I could, Yesterday I got on the bike and went up and rode the same route Don led us on at SWFOG 10. From TOAS, yes it was Toas that week thanks to the infamous shits worn by that special group. I wore my shirt and even even stopped for lunch at the Elk Horn in Chama for a chili burger. just like Don would have wanted it. God Speed Don.

It truly was a great showing at Don's service and wake. Brian received over 600 photos of Don from everyone and played them on a continuous loop throughout the day at the wake. His living room, around those photos, became a constant source of reminiscing and story telling as each photo rolled by. Many a shot of Irish whiskey flowed in the kitchen and an awesome sunset closed out the day as our friend slipped away into everyone's memories, but not to be forgotten! Rest in peace, my brother.

I must check in on the board more often....

Very sad news for sure, a great loss and surely missed

I can say from personal consumption, there was a lot of Irish Whiskey consumed in the kitchen!

Just arrived home... what a lovely tribute to our friend... not only in AZ but around the country and even the world... Don's reach is far and wide and he touched many people (so to speak... ;) ). I'll have a few photos in the next day or two... hoping that everyone makes their journey home safely. My heart goes with each of you. :wub:

I have a little story I would like to share with everyone. There is a gift for all of us. Don spent several years creating it. As time goes on we all look back and remember. For some of us it will be a photo, or a statement. For others it could be a drink or food maybe even an event. We will have a pang of heartbreak as we recall those that are not with us. Then we will smile or maybe a chuckle sometimes even a tear. Those memories are a gift. They hurt right now and they will hurt in the future. They are the impact someone has had on your life. Enjoy these gifts they are yours. Go forward, live a little, laugh a lot and continue to work on the gift you are to others.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.