Roadsmart II Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first 1500 miles were great for my RS2's. After 1500 miles, my front started handling poorly and at 2000 miles. It was so bad, I thought there was something wrong with my bike. It was by far the biggest POS front tire I've ever run. I NEVER wear out my fronts, but usually replace them when the rear wears out(+/-3000 miles). I've run PR2's, Angels, Z8's, Powers, Roadsmarts, Contimotions, and Road Attack 2's. Replaced it with a Power and all's well with the universe now!

The rear still looks great and still handles and grips exceptionally.

So...it sounds like the RSII front tire is just as much a POS as the regular RS. Let me know what you think of the rear tire mileage and grip when it wears out.

History is full of the meek, the dull, the afraid, who attempted nothing, and gained nothing...........

IMG_8356B.jpg
Car Tire Troll. This is a RoadSmart tire thread. They don't make CTs. Go back to under your bridge.

Car Tire Troll. This is a RoadSmart tire thread. They don't make CTs. Go back to under your bridge.

Au contraire mon ami!!!

Dunlop DOES make car tires! Here's one for you Wheatie:

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

dunhzk.ang.jpg

Come to the Dark Side........ we have cookies!

The first 1500 miles were great for my RS2's. After 1500 miles, my front started handling poorly and at 2000 miles. It was so bad, I thought there was something wrong with my bike. It was by far the biggest POS front tire I've ever run. I NEVER wear out my fronts, but usually replace them when the rear wears out(+/-3000 miles). I've run PR2's, Angels, Z8's, Powers, Roadsmarts, Contimotions, and Road Attack 2's. Replaced it with a Power and all's well with the universe now!

The rear still looks great and still handles and grips exceptionally.

So...it sounds like the RSII front tire is just as much a POS as the regular RS. Let me know what you think of the rear tire mileage and grip when it wears out.
Beat me to it.

I never actually ever bought a Roadsmart front because of all the bad reviews and because I liked the Pirelli Stradas that we had available back then. So we still need to find a good front to pair up with the Roadsmart II or BT023GT rears. I'm hoping to have better luck with the BT023GT front that I have on than has been reported. Lots of cupping worries, I hear?

Maybe eFn has the best idea and just go for a true sport bike tire and let it wear out when it wears out? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
So far at about 1500 miles I like the RSII. I'll be wearing out a set of RSII rear, Angel front, by mid October so I'll let you all know then. I did like the Angel with the RSI, so I'm betting I'll like the new set up.

Just pulled my first RS2 off the rear at 3752 miles. That is riding 2-up in the NC/TN/VA mountains and traveling to/from. About 700 miles more than what I was getting out of RS1. Overall wear profile was good and traction was virtually the same. Replaced with another RS2.

I've run RoadSmarts on my ZRX for some time and like them. Some ZRXers have had a weird wear pattern on front where the hard center seems to outlast the sides making sort of a raised ridge. I haven't experienced that. Mine wear pretty evenly. I do tend to get the sides slick and still have tread in the middle, but I ride that bike on the crookedest roads I can find. I've also had the same experience with other brands on that bike and have even worn the sides off my front Goldwing tires first.

I've got a RoadSmart 2 on front of the ZRX now and like it a lot. It turns in easily and has been quite predictable. I'm still running a RoadSmart on rear because the RoadSmart 2 was not available in the 170 size I need for that bike at the time I needed tires.

I've seriously considered the RoadSmart 2 for the FJR. I've got 2000 miles on my new bike now, and the tires are about half gone. I'm hoping for something that will last longer.

I've got them on my 2004. I rode them on my trip across America last spring. Very pleased with them. I would consider putting them on my RT when I need new tires on it.

I've got them on my 2004. I rode them on my trip across America last spring. Very pleased with them. I would consider putting them on my RT when I need new tires on it.
I see this is already in NEPRT, so I'll ask. How did they wear on that cross-country trip? I've got two 3500-mile trips coming up, and it's inevitable that a large percentage of those miles will be Interstate.

At the current wear rate, the original equipment tires on my bike won't make 4000 miles.

I realize this tire deal as pretty much run it's course. That said I was wondering. If lots of people run a certain tire and love the wear and handling aspects of it and you try the same tire and hate it, do you buy another set or go back to what you ran before?

I have been running the RS and RS2's since I got my bike and have had great results. Normally get 8 to 9 K on both, cross country and regular twisties. No matter what the tire, when the wear bars start to show brightly I just replace em. Most tires go downhill pretty fast after that happens. I'll stick with what works for me.

I see this is already in NEPRT, so I'll ask. How did they wear on that cross-country trip? I've got two 3500-mile trips coming up, and it's inevitable that a large percentage of those miles will be Interstate.

At the current wear rate, the original equipment tires on my bike won't make 4000 miles.
They did fine. I picked up a flat spot when I was crossing Kansas and Oklahoma, but nothing too bad.

Greetings 5/2013

I put the Roadsmart II on the back 200 miles ago. Its a bitchen tire. In 40 years of putting tires on by hand, I had to take this one in. It has a massively stiff carcass, likely a tire accomodating heavy loads. I got 12k miles on the origional RoadSmart 1, through extremely varied terrain and no rain conditions. The RM II handles better than the RM hands down and is at its best with lots of air.

I chose this tire based on an Brittish Sport Tourer comparison of the Brigdestone, Michelin and Dunlop. I've had Dunlops before and ditched them immediately for the either the Michelin or Bridgestone. To date the Bridgestone have been my favorite, great performance, easier to mount requiring little to no balance weight on varous sleds. But the RM II is a completely different animal, performance wise. However, its a HEAVY tire requiring quite a bit of counter weight.

The sport tourer bikes are a bit of a tank. So, I want maximum mileage and still be able throw the sled around.I purposefully put a Michelin RP 2 on the front per a post from an experienced rider for longevity, wear and performance experiences. The RM II works flawlessly just like the Bridgestones for mixing brands. I noticed tire pressure makes a noticible difference in performance,+ or - 2 pounds. I run 42 (solo rider) and am pleased as punch with it.

Oddly enough, the best deal on price was a BMW dealer.

WW

^^^

I don't think PR2s are as grippy as Roadsmarts, so I would watch out riding with a front tire not as grippy as the back tire.

It can be part and parcel of teaching you how to road test your protective gear...DAMHIK.

I have nearly 5k on these Roadsmart II tyres. Having just done a 2.5k trip to the Brno Gp. The tyres performed perfectly, on either twisty German country roads or blasting at over 120mph for 40 minutes on the Autobahns. There is a slight flat spot developing, but perfectly expected with over 4k motorway miles.

I was considering the BT023 for my next set, but I am delighted by the handling, grip and life out of the RS II.

Thanks for the update, Andy. I've liked the RoadSmarts on my ZRX since they were introduced and had considered trying them on the FJR. But I mounted a set of BT023GTs for some trips I had coming up.

I've got 6600 miles on the BT023GTs now -- mostly highway and interstate at 80mph. I've still got 4/32" of tread left, so I'm quite pleased. I have a flat spot too, but as you say, with this type of riding, it's to be expected. I'll be on crooked Arkansas mountain roads for the rest of the year, so I expect they'll go away fairly quickly now.

Back from CFO and with a touch of Oregon on the way home. I made it back home with the 10500 on both tires. The front was working on the wear bars and the rear was getting very close to the bars. The great sport bike handling was totally gone. They did get me home but I wont be pushing them that far any more, hopefully.
not_i.gif

Woops, just went and checked the sidewalls and these are only RoadSmarts, not the IIs

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of the Road Smart 2's after a some good review from a good friend of mine. I bought a set last year and have over 12 k on them. Fronts are at 41 and rear pressure is at 43, this works well for my setup.

I have another set of Road Smart 2's that I will be installing, I really like these tires, good tread life, predictability, wet traction and performance.