Sad News About Big Sky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never met Cole, but I've read a lot of his posts over the years. He always reminded me of a good friend from college that grew up in Boseman. Same attitude towards life, open and generous, but strong, knowledgeable and confident. I'll miss his posts here and regret never having gotten the chance to meet him. Rest in peace BigSky.

upset.gif

Got this note from Cole wife; she said pass it along so here you go.

Mrs Big Sky here ... I just started reading the FJR Forum in the last 6 months. Like Cole I appreciate the talented rider/writers and feel as if I know some of you well. I can't get on the forum w/out the password so feel free to post this for me.

Appreciate more than words can express your kind and caring thoughts, concern & support. Knowing that others new his true heart through his writing talent gives me consolation. You can check his websites www.northernrockiesrider.com, motorcyclingmontana.com and motorcycling idaho.com. ID was the most recent book and I'm trying to finish Top Tours periodical before we move to a memorial - Cole would expect nothing less of me!

Hold your partner extra long today.

Marilyn Irey

[email protected] (no caps - ridiculous auto corrects)

P.S. Maybe I can meet some more of you inRed Lodge.

I was just re-reading a couple of PMs from Cole when I noticed one of his signature taglines:

"Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Mark Twain

I think he did indeed do that. :angel:

On the 'never got to meet him' list. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. Hopefully Don and Cole are raising a toast to the good life they had!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting here reading this with just as heavy heart when I heard Beemerdons passed. Thoughts and prayer to both of their families.
sleep.png
I'll be ordering some books soon.

BigSky and I were working on a deal for both his books delivered at the Red Lodge Rendezvous.

I have emailed Mrs. Big Sky to see if she wants to pursuit that opportunity.

I Will post a separate thread regarding books should this come to fruition.

John

I bought his book about a month and a half ago. He was helping me plan my trip so much I felt obligated to purchase it. He sent me extra material with it to help me plan. He offered me his cabin or to spend the night in his extra bed. One of the nicest guys ive spoken with to offer so much to a stranger. I was going to meet up with him while I was in montana so we could meet and ride some. Such terrible news.

Very sad to hear this. I chatted online with Cole a few times, he was right up the road from me (200 miles on the I-15 deserted autobahn).

What's kind of cool is I only "met" him once. I was hauling the mail to make it home from Canada and was coming toward Butte. I was racing a setting sun. I could see a bike in the distance with pillion. It took quite a while to catch up as they were at a pretty serious pace too. There are some nice winding curves dropping down into Butte and I went by there. It was an FJR with MT plates and I thought "that must be Big Sky (and Mrs.)". We traveled alongside for a minute or two and waived enthusiastically at each other. Everyone had helmets and reflective visors down, so never saw his face, nor did he see mine.

They peeled off in Butte and I made my way home. Next day I pm'd him and sure enough it was him, and he knew it was me, just from our posts on this forum. Good memory of a fine day of riding--the only time I saw him in the flesh unfortunately.

RIP friend.

Cardwell is where he was found.. "Cardwell loop" is the name of one of the Routes I run from my home in Bozeman when I have a couple of hours to kill, and want to try some new suspension settings, new farkles, new gear, or burn off some cobwebs. It's a dandy little 125 miles, with the ability to stop off in a few different places for brunch lunch or dinner. Lots of twisties, straightaways, and great scenery, with little to no traffic. That ride now will always take on a entirely new perspective for me now.

I hope that anyone that is inspired to check out Montana, will do it in honor of Cole. I always enjoyed his writing, and our brief interactions were always a welcome distraction from more trivial interactions. You always got the feeling you were speaking with an elder statesman of motorcycling.

It does seem we've added another tribute for the Red Lodge get together...

Prayers and peace to his family and friends.

Quite a few years ago I pulled off I90 at Exit 274 in Montana to grab a bite to eat at the Wheat Montana Farms. Another FJR rider came in and ask if it was okay to sit down with me. And that's how it started, a chance meeting in a cafe that is just at a exit [no town] kinda out in the middle of now where Montana.

Years later in Seattle we were laughing about his book. I don't need no stinking book because I was born and raised in Montana and know the state like the back of my hand. Pretty soon we where looking for roads that I didn't know about in his book. And you folks probably guess the rest of the story, I had to buy the damn book because there were some roads that I had not been on and didn't even know about.

He was a damn good man and will be missed by a huge group of folks.

Prayers for his family and friends.

Dave Black

PS: For Dave Black - Ride hard, ride free, ride well, ride safe. Cole Boehier

Sorry to hear this. Taken way too soon. Prayers to his family and all those whose lives he touch. pm.

https://mtstandard.com/news/local/obituaries/cole-boehler/article_76be9a06-9f39-5f99-9a93-6b20a1f86b5f.html

Cole Boehler, 60

On April 30, 2016, Cole David Boehler died in a drowning accident on the Jefferson River, one of his favorite places on earth. He has joined his parents, Virgil and Mary (Skinner) Boehler, and his special grandmother, Ida Fischer

He was born Sept. 5, 1955, in Devils Lake, ND, attended grade school in Bismarck, ND, graduating from Fairview (MT) High School in 1973. While in high school, he excelled in debate. He attended the University of Montana for two-plus years and then set out to earn a living.
Cole began newspapering in Wyoming and worked as an award-winning sales manager and journalist in North Dakota and Montana. He was a founding partner of the Nickel Saver in Butte. He also worked for Lee Enterprises in Missoula and Butte, then started The Butte Weekly with his father. After Virgil’s death, Cole started Continental Communications and published the Montana Tavern Times for 14 years.
He was fortunate enough to turn his passion for motorcycling into his work, publishing three books and two periodicals about motorcycling. He was looking forward to retirement in 2017.
He is survived by his wife of 31 years and favorite passenger, Marilyn Irey; his son Scott L., of Phoenix, AZ, of whom he was very proud; brothers Scott R. (Rebecca), Livingston, Kevin (Karen), Sidney, and Mark (Lisa Cay), Charlotte, NC; sisters Mary (Tim) Miller, Bozeman, Kim (Kim D.) Koenig, Ronan, and Lisa (Todd) Skalsky, Polson; his second dad, Leo Irey, Mesa, AZ; mother-in-law Beverly Donovan, Minot, ND; brothers-in-law Rick (Connie J.) Irey, Lake Metigoshee, ND, and Steve (Connie F) Irey, Minot, ND; aunt Elsie (Frank) Arnieri, Arlington Heights, IL, and uncle Gaylen (Pat) Fischer, Bettendorf, IA; "adopted" siblings Lib Caldwell, Livingston, and Karen Stimpson, Germany; 27 nieces and nephews and 33 great-nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, grandparents, several aunts and uncles, step father-in-law and a great-nephew.
Cole often quoted Mark Twain: “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry.” His family, friends and colleagues know he lived a rich and full life that could be the envy of many.
A casual memorial service will be held Friday, May 27, at 10 a.m. at The Butte Depot, 818 S. Arizona St. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Ruby Valley Search and Rescue, PO Box 684, Sheridan, MT, 59749. Axelson Alternative Cremation in Butte is assisting the family with arrangements.
Express condolences at www.mtstandard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.