Sad News About Big Sky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least his family has some closure. And I guess we do as well.

As I type this I am feeling incredibly sorry for myself. I can add Cole Boehler's name to the same list as Don Stanley. That is the List of Forum members I wanted to meet but did not make the time for. The most painful part of that list is that it just keeps growing. And once a name gets added, it is there forever.

RIP Cole. And I hope that where you are the roads are twisty, the tires are sticky, and the trout streams are full of fish.

Edit: I was re-reading some PMs Cole and I exchanged and ran across this from him. It certainly resonates with his current situation.

"

Die instantly in a crash, or die over five years while your mind dwindles? That's a simple and easy choice. In many ways my father's death was a fortunate one. One of the last times I saw my mom, I was delighted when I came into her room and she said, "That's one of mine."

No, I don't want to go out thinking, "I wish I would have ____________________."

I pray he did not suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I knew this thread would ultimately have this sad news. I had been searching news reports daily. Cole was part of our community, and joins a list of members that have passed to the other side. Hopefully Don was waiting and letting him know, "you ain't seen nothin' yet". God speed, and condolences to the family, especially his wife Marilyn.

Sad news indeed, but not surprising given the time he has been missing. Thanks for sharing the sig lines quotes Russ. They definitely speak of Cole. RIP

Since I cannot hope for Cole anymore, my hope goes to his family. I hope, in due time, they can come to peace with this tragedy.

From what I can tell, Cole LIVED his life. God bless his family, and may he rest in peace.

Sad news. I just went back and reviewed PMs from Big Sky a year ago. He told me about his history of living in North Dakota, about what a great all around woman his North Dakota wife is, and inviting me to come out to ride Montana with him. I wrote back with tentative plans of going out to Montana last August for a few days but regrettably I didn't make the commitment so I never got to meet him in person.

I will forever be kicking myself in the ass for passing up on that opportunity. One day soon me, my Tenere, and my copy of Cole's book "Motorcycling Montana", will be heading west to experience Montana as Cole saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P. Cole

very sad indeed

As great as a guy BigSky seemed to come across here on the forum, I can only imagine how he must have been in RL.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. They lost a good one.

Where Cole was found is the start of a canyon that the Jefferson River flows through for several miles. The road winds past the Lewis and Clark Caverns and ends near where the Jefferson joins the Madison River and forms the Missouri. One of my favorite rides and a fitting spot for Cole to be found.

I cannot hope to stand in for Cole, but I can give it a try. If you find yourself in Montana and need a place to be, then give me a shout. I have a shop with a bunk room, full bath with shower and washer and dryer. There's even some motorcycle stuff in there. I don't have the in-depth knowledge of Montana riding that Cole had, but I know a little and will be happy to share. Big John and Festar have darkened our door and survived the visit, so it can't be all bad.

Sumbitch. I cannot imagine ......

Prayers for his family and friends.

Cole you will be missed, my friend.

Heavenly Father we know and believe that our times are in Your hands, but Lord it’s so often such a shock to us when a dear loved one meets with a sudden or unexpected death - through an accident or perhaps due to some unforeseen tragedy, which takes the life of someone they loved - long before it would be expected.

Lord we bring before You today those who are having to go through such a tragic loss and pray that You would be very close to each one that is in mourning today over such a loss - and are perhaps confused or even angry that such a devastating occurrence has overtaken them - without any apparent warning.

You are the God of all comfort Who comforts us in time of need and we pray that for those that are facing such a difficult trial today. Uphold them we pray, and ask that You draw very close to them … raise up we pray, the right people to minister to them and to be a genuine comfort and support at this time of tragedy and grief.

Lord we don’t understand why our loved ones should suddenly be removed from us through a sudden, unexpected death – but Lord we trust You to soothe away the hurt in time - for shall not the God of all the earth do right…. In Jesus name we pray,

Amen

I kept seeing this thread in the new content area, hoping it would be Big Sky, saying, no worries, all is good. This sucks. My condolances to his family and friends.

I posted up that my new girlfriend enjoyed her first ride with me and Cole promptly sent me a PM. He sent a treasure trove of information about riding with a pillion, advice for new pillions (which Michelle took to heart, and makes our rides together so enjoyable) in such a fashion that I felt the information came from my dad or older brother. Even though I never met him, he was instantly my friend, mentor and fellow travler.

He will be missed..

JSNS

Where Cole was found is the start of a canyon that the Jefferson River flows through for several miles. The road winds past the Lewis and Clark Caverns and ends near where the Jefferson joins the Madison River and forms the Missouri. One of my favorite rides and a fitting spot for Cole to be found.
I cannot hope to stand in for Cole, but I can give it a try. If you find yourself in Montana and need a place to be, then give me a shout. I have a shop with a bunk room, full bath with shower and washer and dryer. There's even some motorcycle stuff in there. I don't have the in-depth knowledge of Montana riding that Cole had, but I know a little and will be happy to share. Big John and Festar have darkened our door and survived the visit, so it can't be all bad.
I will be looking at all available options to take you up on your offer for a stop and visit. Glacier park is on my must ride list and it looks like Canyon Creek is right on the way. I've been looking forward to meeting you and Helzbelz for quite awhile. It looks like I will finally get the chance at Red Lodge in a little over 6 weeks.

Much as we all wanted a better outcome we must acknowledge this was likely. I never met the man but thoroughly enjoyed what interaction I had with him here.

My condolences to his family.

Very sad news. I only communicated with him a few times, but I still have a heavy heart.

RIP, and prayers go out to his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.