SE Ohio Spring "Ramble" 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those riding 2-up, I will be riding solo, but I also don't tend to light it up too fast. I would be willing to lead the "slower" group for a couple of reasons:

1. I know the area well, and *MOST* of the roads we will be on.

2. My top speed on these rides is *USUALLY* 75mph. And I have no problem in leading a slower paced ride.

I will offer to lead the *slow* group. Wether we be first or last out.

-Dave

Thanks fellas. The majority of the group rides I've attended have been with my ZRX buddies out west and were at an "elevated pace". Though, what one person considers "elevated"...another might consider "sloth like". So, if you were to divide "pace" into the nine categories below:

slow-slow

medium-slow

fast-slow

slow-medium

medium-medium

fast-medium

slow-fast

medium-fast

fast-fast

Where "slow-slow" is the pace that 75-yr-old Italian ladies travel when returning home from the store on their 50cc Vespas and "fast-fast" is Valentino Rossi at last years Gran Premio di Mugello...I traditionally fall into the "medium-medium to slow-fast" category when riding two-up.

I recognize my riding limits...and NEVER exceed them...you'll have no problem with me riding like a nut...I want to enjoy this ride like everyone else and return home SAFE & SECURE.

:yahoo:

...I will offer to lead the *slow* group. Wether we be first or last out. -Dave
Thanks for your offer to help lead Dave. I will need locals as helpers who have lead before...however you being from the area and me being a flatlander...I may need you to lead one of the faster groups if yer willing. I'll talk wid you later.

...I recognize my riding limits...and NEVER exceed them......
Good for you Rentaroo. I exceeded my limits/did not keep sufficient following distance on an Ohio Ramble in '05....and went off roading....no damage to me but bent up my fairing subframe and scratched every conceivable piece of plastic on my bike. I put a damper on everybody elses's ride and for that I was very sorry. I learned from that and though I do wick it up some...I am keenly aware that things can go bad in a hurry. So been there...done that...not for me no more if I can help it.

Wheaton,

I need to clarify some...I NEVER exceed my limits....now. Like you, I had an adventure in off-roading (2 actually)...that did not involve my KLR 650. I was a newbie to street riding...went wide in a turn and into somebody's front yard. Stayed upright, so no damage to the bike. Second time was similar, though it happened at night on an unfamiliar road. I was traveling slow, but the road went the opposite direction than I expected and led to another adventure into the drainage ditch and trees. Not sure how I managed no damage on that excursion either. Neither of these mishaps were on my FJR...

I learned from those experiences...and I'm glad to hear that you learned too!

OK...I'm done drifting this thread off-topic.

Ride Safe!

Wheaton,

If you need a leader for one of the groups, my buddy , Jeff knows some of the roads on this route like the back of his hand. I am sure he would be glad to lead a group.

I have a post here for the locals who have offered to scout out the roads for me...

As you know I am trying to loop back around so we get TWO tries at some good roads...OH 556 and OH 536. In my route I have tried to shortcut to cutoff some repeat riding time on OH 78 and OH 26. This shortcut takes us from 536 to 78 east to north on some local/county roads to hook back up with 556 east.

I have the area images posted below.

Area of shortcut

2008SEOHCLOSEUPOF2NDLOOPTURN-SITEKE.jpg

Blowup of streetnames for turn directions

2008SEOHCLOSEUPOF2NDLOOPTURN.jpg

Could you locals that are familiar with this area tell me whether this is feasible? If these are gravel roads, I will just reroute to 78 west to 26 east to get to 556 east.

Let me know now if you know, or later after you scout them. I am just looking for a link/connector road to save some time...they don't have to be in great shape...just adequate for purposes mentioned....we would be on these roads for about 6 miles according to S&T.

Wheatie,

Not sure where the other locals are at, but I'll do my best here in the next couple of weeks to get out there and scout. I'm moving this weekend, and the weather is being kinda crap round here. If someone else gets there first, bu all means go. But if not, I'll try to have a scouting session first nice weekend I get.

-Dave

Could you locals that are familiar with this area tell me whether this is feasible? If these are gravel roads, I will just reroute to 78 west to 26 east to get to 556 east.
Let me know now if you know, or later after you scout them. I am just looking for a link/connector road to save some time...they don't have to be in great shape...just adequate for purposes mentioned....we would be on these roads for about 6 miles according to S&T.
My atlas shows it as an Unpaved road.

Crap...ya know I just should have looked at my gazetteer. Thanks tstaff. I guess I'll just go with a little longer loop. Those roads are definitely worth a second run. :clapping:

Crap...ya know I just should have looked at my gazetteer. Thanks tstaff. I guess I'll just go with a little longer loop. Those roads are definitely worth a second run. :clapping:
Well, I just looked at my Ohio gazetteer and it shows a solid (paved) line for those roads...so I still need someone to check that road out for me.

Hey, this sounds great! Count me in...and possibly my dad, Richard (BMW LT), who lives in Athens, OH. :clapping:

Let me know if you will be passing through Indianapolis on Friday...I can join you from there. Thanks, Wheatie.

Best,

Kenneth (K-2)

Not a problem there Dave...putting Dave and friend on ST1300 in the "fer sure" column. As far as that list...only FJR Riders or FJR wannabees from now on since the list is getting long. 'Kay? :)
would this mean that it would be frowned-upon if i rode my fj out instead of my fjr? just curious, since the fj handles much better.

dean

cincinnati

Not a problem there Dave...putting Dave and friend on ST1300 in the "fer sure" column. As far as that list...only FJR Riders or FJR wannabees from now on since the list is getting long. 'Kay? :)
would this mean that it would be frowned-upon if i rode my fj out instead of my fjr? just curious, since the fj handles much better.

dean

cincinnati
Not a problem Dean...you own an FJR already - yer good. :)

...and possibly my dad, Richard (BMW LT), who lives in Athens, OH.
Oops...just noticed you're keeping the ride to FJR's.
Dads are always welcome...no matter what. Though I would prefer to make it an FJR ride...as long as there is a strong connection to the FJR family...which yer dad is - yer good. :)

As an overall comment, I just want to keep the ride small enough that everybody will have fun...AND I want to make sure that everybody that attends is a safe rider - ready to have a fun time. :yahoo:

Mark,

I just noticed this thread. I am going to put myself as a maybe. Can someone please point me in the direction of the hotel to make a reservation.

Mark, what time are you planning on leaving Chicago? and what time do you expect on making it back?

Mark,
I just noticed this thread. I am going to put myself as a maybe. Can someone please point me in the direction of the hotel to make a reservation.

Mark, what time are you planning on leaving Chicago? and what time do you expect on making it back?
Alex,

Putting you down as a possible...

griff & I are staying at the Super8 motel for cost purposes...but there is a much nicer Hampton Inn a little ways down the road if you want to stay there..or any of the other hotels in Athens. Athens is pricey for motels...but the roads around Athens make it a great jumping off point.

BTW, if you use the "view new posts" button at the top right of the page...you will not miss any posts as it will bring up a list of new posts that you have not read since the last time you signed on.

I haven't really talked with griff yet, but I am meeting griff early on Friday...getting into Athens Friday evening. I haven't thought about Sunday yet, but I thought griff and I would leave sometime Sunday am. I am planning on hitting the Hocking Hills area on the way in Friday night and on the way out Sunday morning. If you do google, mapquest, or S&T you can see how long it takes to get there.

I'm a "Possible" too. I'm teaching the weekend of Apr 18,19,20, so I can't make that weekend. However, if you end up going the weekend of Apr 25,26,27, I'm in.