SE Ohio Spring "Ramble" 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT -2/19/08[/SIZE]

Due to the unexpected overwhelming interest in this little ride, and in the interest of providing as safe and fun an experience for everyone attending...I am going to limit the confirmed ridership to 10 more FJRs after FredandJeannesRacer(see post#1).

The number of "possible" riders attending will be limited to those already listed.

In addition, I will stop accepting additional riders to this event after February 29th.

I am sorry to do this as I really try to be as inclusive as I can...but am doing this for the reasons mentioned above. Just as a frame of reference, past SE OH rides I have been on have had between 4 & 10 riders. Last year's ride had 4 riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the unexpected overwhelming interest in this little ride, and in the interest of providing as safe and fun an experience for everyone attending...I am going to limit the confirmed ridership to 10 more FJRs after FredandJeannesRacer(see post#1).

The number of "possible" riders attending will be limited to those already listed.

In addition, I will stop accepting additional riders to this event after February 29th.

I am sorry to do this as I really try to be as inclusive as I can...but am doing this for the reasons mentioned above. Just as a frame of reference, past SE OH rides I have been on have had between 4 & 10 riders. Last year's ride had 4 riders.

Hey Wheaton

It's not uncommon that on these group rides, quite a few no-shows will occure. I hope this group proves me wrong. In the event though that all these people do show up, we could always do some type of staggered start, with groups of 6 riders in a group, meet up at the lunch stop and switch groups, if the group your riding with in the morning doesn't suit your likes. Besides it might make for a better time getting to know some of the other riders in the afternoon ride back to Athens. Anyway, both myself and Dave Also got our rooms at the Super 8 today so were all set, no matter who shows up.

Dave

Hey Wheaton
It's not uncommon that on these group rides, quite a few no-shows will occure. I hope this group proves me wrong. In the event though that all these people do show up, we could always do some type of staggered start, with groups of 6 riders in a group, meet up at the lunch stop and switch groups, if the group your riding with in the morning doesn't suit your likes. Besides it might make for a better time getting to know some of the other riders in the afternoon ride back to Athens. Anyway, both myself and Dave Also got our rooms at the Super 8 today so were all set, no matter who shows up.

Dave
Yeah, I know that there will be some no shows for various reasons...still though I wanted an upper limit to this little ride. We will be using smaller flights of 4 to 6 riders like you mentioned. BTW, I may have all the Daves in ONE group to avoid confusing everybody. :)

Is that so? All the Daves in one group? So when someone says " Hey Dave " we all turn like a flock of penguins? Hmmm...hilarity *might* ensue from that......continue.

...So when someone says " Hey Dave " we all turn like a flock of penguins? Hmmm...hilarity *might* ensue from that......continue.
This is why nicknames and handles should be used at all times during group rides. If someone does not have a nickname, one can be assigned quite quickly. ;)

It's a choice .... give yourself a handle or risk having the group do it for you. Emphasis on the word "risk" since, after all, one has to live with it.

Mark, if need be I can lead or tail all but super sonic group. Super sonic cost too damn much when you meet local finest :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Alex,

As for the " LOCAL FINEST " there isn't much of that on most of these roads. I had made the suggestion to dear Wheatie about avoiding 550 for that very reason. I am familiar with *most* of the roads on said route, however, I do plan on taking the full loop for a ride beforehand just for that very reason.

And Murph, about nicknames, how do you think I got stuck with thompsonian?! When I was in a band bout 5 years ago, he got this smart-ass idea to start calling me that. Has stuck ever since.

Ok.....back on track we go!

Mark, if need be I can lead or tail all but super sonic group. Super sonic cost too damn much when you meet local finest :ph34r: :rolleyes:
Thanks Alex. We'll talk about that later...and after you tell me you are confirmed for this ride. Are you confirming that you are stepping off the "possible" and into the "fer sure" domain? :)

(BTW, you aren't the one that lead the "pokey ride" during a Chicago riders ride last summer that I read about are you? :D I heard somebody did that...couldn't remember who.)

To other riders reading this post...

For any possible ride leaders on this ride, I would be looking for someone who

-has lead rides before at a decent FJR clip not at parade pace,

-has good skilz,

-has looked over the route carefully and

-(if possible) being a local or someone who has ridden these roads before.

PM me if you, after you have read the above, are willing to help out in this way...listing your previous experience. I would rather not fill up the thread with posts about ride leaders.

Also, I am also looking to find out who has had a training class in CPR. We are gonna be out in the sticks and if you have had that training AND are relatively refreshed in that type of situation AND are willing, send me a PM. I myself took a training class 2 years ago with my wife and need to look over my notes and get reminded of what I need to do...in the event I can be of help to a fellow cyclist this coming season if that dire situation arose.

BTW, I am looking to send bikes off into flights of 4-6 riders per flight.

I turn my head away from the forum for a couple of weeks and WAMMO....this ride is turning into an EVENT!!!! Way to go Wheaton!

I'm down for leading the fast group. And if by lunch I'm passed by all, running "tail of the fast"..that's perfectly OK by me too. That way you can give me clues (yellow and brown stains on asphault) as to when the undetected hillclimb, double-secret switchback with a bridge come over the horizon. :pooh_go:

I don't know CPR. Should I bring a Glock to put anyone out of their misery? :clapping:

So you going to stop by the Smiling Skull (hardcore biker bar for those who've never been) in Athens on Sat. night? The chicks in there could kick my butt.

If there's still a slot, put me on the list.

Thanks for putting this together!

So you going to stop by the Smiling Skull (hardcore biker bar for those who've never been) in Athens on Sat. night? The chicks in there could kick my butt.
Hey, I had a couple of Guinesses in there a couple years back. It's the only bar in Athens that isn't air conditioned. Some interesting pictures on the walls.

Hey, I had a couple of Guinesses in there couple years 4 decades ago when I went to school there and chicks dug me. It's the only bar in Athens that isn't air conditioned. Some interesting pictures on the walls.
fixed there geezer :clapping: :D

Even though it was an interesting place to visit back a few Rambles ago, I will probably just stop by the walmart and get me a six of cold MGD to kick back in the parking lot by the bikes and retrace the Ramble highpoints of the day. :yahoo:

A good discussion on "riding you're own ride" is going on right now in THIS excellent thread. I would suggest all take a look at this thread before doing the Ramble. Do NOT ride faster than you are comfortable...let the group ahead of you go ahead if that is what is right for you (or me). There will be places to hook again later in the ride...nobody will be "left behind".

Hey, I had a couple of Guinesses in there couple years 4 decades ago when I went to school there and chicks dug me. It's the only bar in Athens that isn't air conditioned. Some interesting pictures on the walls.
fixed there geezer :clapping: :D
:lol: Actually, I finished my BS degree in '80. I'll admit that it took me a little longer than the standard 4 years, but don't tell that to my kids. B)

One of my nieces graduated from OU a couple years ago and I went down and did a 'shuffle' with her and a few of her friends the night before graduation. I did my best but only made it about half way through...... Guess I'll never really grow up and that's a good thing. :yahoo:

I have another niece there now and I may try to meet up with her while we are in town Saturday evening.

...and possibly my dad, Richard (BMW LT), who lives in Athens, OH.
My dad is confirmed. Keep in mind he's local; so if you need any help in Athens prior to the ride, I'm sure he can assist. Just let me know.

I'm in Athens at their home right now and the roads are crap - why can't they all be straight lines like Indiana? :D

...and possibly my dad, Richard (BMW LT), who lives in Athens, OH.
My dad is confirmed. Keep in mind he's local; so if you need any help in Athens prior to the ride, I'm sure he can assist. Just let me know.

I'm in Athens at their home right now and the roads are crap - why can't they all be straight lines like Indiana? :D
Gotcha...confirming K-2s dad.

I will let you know if we need any Athens help before I get there...thanks for the offer.

A good discussion on "riding you're own ride" is going on right now in THIS excellent thread. I would suggest all take a look at this thread before doing the Ramble. Do NOT ride faster than you are comfortable...let the group ahead of you go ahead if that is what is right for you (or me). There will be places to hook again later in the ride...nobody will be "left behind".
one of my biggest beefs in group rides is the rider that is paying so much attention to keeping up in the curves that s/he doesn't notice you've been wanting to pass him for the past mile in the curves. and when you finally get to a straightaway, or straighter stretch of road where you know you can just go around him in the oncoming lane, inevitably s/he's on a faster bike (read newbie on r1/gsxr/etc.) and s/he guns it. if you're crazy enough to _still_ try and pass him, now you're in a 60-120 mph drag race. no thanks. so instead, it's "great, thanks a lot, let's give a big round of applause to dude that showed us how fast his bike is in the straights." so before group rides, i always remind people "watch your 12, and then watch your 6. if you're so focused on keeping up with the person in front of you that you aren't even noticing you're slowing down people behind you, you're over your limits. let faster riders go by. please!!"

rant off.

dean

cincinnati

... so before group rides, i always remind people "watch your 12, and then watch your 6. if you're so focused on keeping up with the person in front of you that you aren't even noticing you're slowing down people behind you, you're over your limits. let faster riders go by. please!!"
Good post dean.

The perfect order of riders for maximum ride enjoyment is to have the fastest pace first and the least fastest last. However, not many people will know how others ride - many of us will be strangers to each other at the beginning of the day.

For the purpose of a safe, enjoyable ride...this ride starts off in groups with what I hope to be :

• people who can ride safely at a faster speed in one of the first groups
  • people who can ride safely at a medium/faster speed in one of the next groups
  • people who can ride safely at a medium speed behind them
How people fit into each group goes with what dean said. Be considerate.

Much of this ride will be in curves...we are riding single file in the curves, using the whole lane...allowing a minimum of 2-3 seconds between you and the rider in front of you. Give space and the day will hopefully end as well as it started. I expect that riders would stay in their "position" in the group for the first hour or so unless being waved on by the rider in front of them. This way people can have some time to get into their ride groove ...and you learn a little bit about the other riders around you...how they enter turns, etc. Also, I cannot imagine this happening, but we will not have any passing and repassing clusterf#cks on this ride.

If you do find yourself in a group riding slower than you typically ride...safely pass and be on your way...however be aware that there are some technical portions of the ride and that turn you see ahead may surprise you and be ALOT tighter than it looks at first. If you do find yourself in a group riding faster than you typically ride...then back off and ride solo to the destination, or ride with the group coming up behind you. There is no shame in that - I repeat - there is no shame in that...the shame would be for your ego to get in the way of an enjoyable, safe ride.

This is a shared destination ride...We will eat lunch at the Bob Evans in New Martinsville, WV. We will have morning rest stops and afternoon rest stops. I have the route shown in post#1 and will have turn directions for those that need them. I expect people to keep track of where they are going via tankbag maps or GPS. The ride leader is just there to assist. Do not assume that you can handle the ride leader's pace...you are responsible for riding at your own pace. These roads will probably have some gravel and roadkill at spots... so only your own eyes can tell you what a safe pace is and what line to use.