Seattle to SCal and back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day started well. Fairlaner joned me for great lunch at Malibu Fish market (two guesses what he ate; it rhymes with "dish and hips"). Their grilled fish tacos are awesome. Then it was up into the canyons.

P1030985.jpg

P1030990.jpg

P1030987.jpg

P1030991.jpg

We hadn't gone a mile before the canyon backed up with traffic. A head-on collision between two cars, which left one upside down. Rather than sit and overheat, we did some strategic lane splitting, which is no easy feat in the narrow canyon roads. Breaking free, we headed up to Stunt road.

Richard has a twisted sense of humor. The Snake video's Manfred Mann soundtrack was spot on: we were riding into the sunlight, and my prescription lenses were no match for the glare. I found myself riding with one hand cupped above my forehead and the other hand steering.

Anyhoo, that's what I told myself as to why I couldn't keep up with Richard. The real reason is I didn't want to end up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We made it to the top of Stunt and took in the view.

P1030995.jpg

P1030994.jpg

P1030996.jpg

Next up, Rock Store and the Snake.

P1030998.jpg

P1040003.jpg

Guys on R1's and Supermotos were using this section as their personal test track, and we watched them go up and down a half a dozen times trying to perfect the Snake without ending up on YouTube.

The day was getting late, and we headed back down and to the coast.

P1040004.jpg

P1040011.jpg

The next day was all business, I had work, and in between calls, I ended up at the California Boys Republic, a great place that does God's work trying to turn around troubled teens before then end up locked them behind bars. They come from all backgrounds, but usually have an f'd up homelife, and have racked up various theft, assault, and other charges before ending up here. You get a sense quickly of the ones who will make it. They have an odd sense of wanting to please, to show they have something to offer, that their life is not wasted if they are given the chance. I always leave the Boys Republic with a sense of optimism for their future.

Today was the opening day of their annual fund raiser: selling wreathes the boys make on the premises to raise money for the school. The local news crew was covering the kick off, and there were some cool vintage woodies brought in for the occaison, including this rare (1 of 3) International Harvester.

P1040013.jpg

P1040014.jpg

P1040015.jpg

P1040016.jpg

The news crews showed up, and with them was Larry Wilcox, a Boy's Republic Board member. You may remember him as Ponch's partner on the 70's show CHiPs. We had a nice talk about the show and its continued popularity. Larry's in his 60's but still looks like Jon.

P1040018.jpg

P1040021.jpg

The news story aired ]later that night. Consider buying a wreath to help out these boys.

Dave, Thanks for the updated RR, it's in the 30's and I bet there's SNOW @ your house. Enjoy your warm trip :)

Dave - You're having quite the adventure here in SoCal. :yahoo:

The canyons of Malibu in the Sanata Monica mountains are one of my favorite places to ride, and it's well worth it just to go get some fish & chips at Malibu Seafood!!!! That place is my fav! :yahoo: :clapping:

You got the dime tour for sure!

Great stuff you're attnding for the youth, they need His help. ;)

A really excellent report, Hudman. Enjoying every bit of it.

Already knew you were an observant, thoughtful bastard (don't know how you fit in with that PNW crowd!), so I expected this'd be an interesting

and entertaining report. And it is.

Friggin' winter has set in up here, but hopefully it'll warm a bit so that you'll be able to enjoy some

riding here later this week.

Friggin' winter has set in up here, but hopefully it'll warm a bit so that you'll be able to enjoy some

riding here later this week.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Need a pair? :unsure: :D
Oh, I've GOT a pair, young Simon.

SnowRoadcopy.jpg
Yes Sir, yes you do!

When did you place yourself in that wonderful position in front of 2 SnoGos? Was that on Donner?

In my mis-spent youth I ran one of those things for the Mono Co. Road Dept in Mammoth and June Lake. The scariest damn thing I ever experienced was stupid skiers disappearing in front of the auger box while they were trying to beat us across the street. Probably never gave a thought to what would have happened to them if they fell and got sucked in... Fortunately, I never had "red snow"! :eek:

Mr. Hudson cruised through Morro Bay this AM so me, MsDcarver, and Harley-D-Dawg went to personally thank Mr. Hudson for the over 2inches of rain he brought with him - really, does a perpetual rain cloud follow you PNW dorks wherever you go? Seriously, almost did not make it back to the Hondarosa due to slippery dirt road, and that was in a front wheel drive car.

It was great to see Dave again and to learn of how successful his new diet is -

1.jpg

2.jpg

After this feast, Mr. Hudson was a bit sleepy -

3.jpg

Ready to leave -

4.jpg

..and I'm not sure, but is it *possible* Mr. Hudson is waving us goodbye? :eek: :p :)

5.jpg

Oh, Mr. Hudson has learned well from Old Michael; he offered to pick up the tab, but *alas* this is a cash only restaurant and Mr. Hudson only had limited cash? Well played Dave! :lol:

Dave was headed up 1 with HondaYamaSleepHauler then over to Roseville to play with Old Michael... ;)

Good to see Hudson is making his way back north! Too much sunshine might ruin him... ;)

...and Don, regarding the rain -- we're givers up here. :D

--G