Sena SMH10 & Shoei Multitec

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
I'm trying to mount my new SMH10 on my Shoei Multitec helmet. The unit clamps on easy enough but the speaker wire for the left side isn't quite long enough to tuck behind the padding and then run up along the inside around and under the leather (or vinyl) padding that faces down towards your shoulders. The wire for the right speaker is actually to long. My question is if you have this set up how did you run the wire for the left speaker; was a cut necessary? Thanks

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ran the wire for the right speaker up out of the left ear hole then under the liner as it crosses over the top and then down of the liner and into the right ear hole. Used a small piece of tape to secure the wire to the styrofoam shell just as it goes under and comes out of the foam across the top.

For me, I had to build up the area where you place the speakers with hook and loop squares to get the speakers closer to my ear as the Multitec ear holes are pretty deep. (I have size 39 check pads.)

Also, and this was very important for me, the speakers had to be placed high and a little forward in the era hole to get the max. volume reception for GPS navigation prompts. This placement seemed to get them lined up with my ear canal. I use foam earplugs.

The Multitec is a bit noisy compared to my X-11.

Keep Going!

I have the same same set up guys. I did that same speaker insertion as MR but decided to use my ear buds and applicable clamp because I ride with ear plugs and the volume for the Sena was a little low with the plugs in and using helmet speakers. The ear buds give me low ambient noise and plenty of volume. If you ride without ear plugs and have a reasonably quiet helmet then the speaker set up is more than adequate, plenty of volume and I can tell you I am fussy with sound. I was very surprised in the quality and volume with the Sena speakers.

IS THIS SENA THE BOMB OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to mount my new SMH10 on my Shoei Multitec helmet. The unit clamps on easy enough but the speaker wire for the left side isn't quite long enough to tuck behind the padding and then run up along the inside around and under the leather (or vinyl) padding that faces down towards your shoulders. The wire for the right speaker is actually to long. My question is if you have this set up how did you run the wire for the left speaker; was a cut necessary? Thanks

Tim
Are you mounting it on the left or the right side of the helmet? It is designed to be mounted on the left side of the helmet.

I have sold many of them and have never heard this problem before.

On a slightly different angle, I wish someone could post a photo of where and how they route the wiring on the SENA speakers in their helmets.

I have had mine for almost a year, but have not found a good way to route the wiring under my Shoei RF1000 padding. I have been using a red neck/trailer park setup with duct tape, bailing wire, and old cigar wrappers.

Please post up photos of your routing please.

Thanks.

On a slightly different angle, I wish someone could post a photo of where and how they route the wiring on the SENA speakers in their helmets.

I have had mine for almost a year, but have not found a good way to route the wiring under my Shoei RF1000 padding. I have been using a red neck/trailer park setup with duct tape, bailing wire, and old cigar wrappers.

Thanks.
And why you haven't asked me? Bring your helmet next Tue.

I can't show you pics as you wont see any wires as they are hidden behind the padding. :)

Thanks.
I managed to hide the wires quite well in an X-11...some of the trim that looks like it doesn't move does...at least that's what I found. I imagine the RF1000 is similar. Unfortunately, the X11's ear pockets are too shallow and the speakers irritate my ears (feels right for awhile, then the pressure becomes very apparent)...so the Sena sits unused on my desk for the time being (plan on getting a Qwest helmet soon as my X-11 is very long in the tooth).

Tim
Are you mounting it on the left or the right side of the helmet? It is designed to be mounted on the left side of the helmet.

I have sold many of them and have never heard this problem before.

To be honest I'm not sure how you possibly could mount the unit with the fixed mic on the right side of the helmet, that is unless your mouth is on the backside of your head (LOL). In looking at the other mounts that are available mounting them on the wrong side is I guess possible. I got it figured out, the piece of padding that was in the way of the left ear speaker wire actually pulls out if you give it a good yank. From there stuffing the wires between the inner shell/padding and outer shell wasn't a problem.

I think others have had similar problems with the wires but have also figured out a fix.

Tim

...I think others have had similar problems with the wires but have also figured out a fix.

Tim
'cept me.

cuz I'm slow.

My RF1000 has removeable cheek pads...but nothing else is removable nor anything I would want to yank out as it appears glued to the shell.

...I think others have had similar problems with the wires but have also figured out a fix.

Tim
'cept me.

cuz I'm slow.

My RF1000 has removeable cheek pads...but nothing else is removable nor anything I would want to yank out as it appears glued to the shell.
If the RF1000 uses the same padding as the Multitec, then more than just the cheek pads are removable. The pads (one on each side) that have the leather or vinyl on them also come out, they are not glued in (at least not in the Multitec). I think Cougar8000 will be able to show you what I mean on Tuesday.