SH__23 and she is dead in the water

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brodie, et al.

Ok, I went to the Mountain, talked with the Big Dog, Saw the Elephant, and now I can report back to you all.

A. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

B. As we know, reading comprehension is a perishable skill and one which some have not had the chance to develop, i.e., think large "red state" with hill-country dealerships.

C. The recall was accomplished with the supplied Yamaha part, but....the directions were not explicitly (see B) followed, i.e., the pig tail was shunted off to no-where, rendering the recall non-effective. It has been 4 years since I had this "work" done, so the bike was 8 years in service before it became an issue.

D. To repair and correct this, my tech installed a salvaged spider unit with good wiring back to the point that no damage was observed, and re-installed the recall pigtail to the correct outlets. It all bench checks good, and he will road check it, when it quits snowing/raining/freezing.

E. I am calling this complete, pending the road check, and will ride as normal.

Again, thanks to all of you for your input, support, and thoughtful guidance.

Jim

Success! I love a good ending.

But I must ask what an elephant looks like when you saw it? Doesn't it get kind of bloody?

tonguesmiley.gif

Success! I love a good ending.
But I must ask what an elephant looks like when you saw it? Doesn't it get kind of bloody?

tonguesmiley.gif
mcatrophy to the rescue: this is what an elephant looks like on the road in front of you.

(Click on image for larger view)

Picture taken 27th Feb in South Africa, unfortunately not from my FJR. Or was that fortunately?

Yes, that is good news. Shame on the Yamaha mechanic that only hooked it up to the S4 spider and not the rest of the way back to the big connector in front of the battery. Good reason to do the work yourself, or at least check up on the work others did to it.

No go ride the wheels off the beast!

The proper remedy for this failure, however was to perform the second stage work, replacing the entire harness, since the original recall was in effect never performed and S4 was now well and truly burned. This was reportedly NOT done, and because the machine is exposed to the elements and to vibration, and because solder is brittle I will personally withhold any kudos for anyone involved in the repair until Yamaha actually replaces the harness.

Last edited by a moderator: