Diagnostic Investigation of the MCU error codes on my 2014 FJR1300AS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
This topic is only to show some of the mechanisms needed to use the diagnostics of the GenIII FJR. The specifics will be of little value to the majority since it concerns my GenIII YCC-S, unavailable to the majority of Forum members. However, it might be interesting if not actually useful to someone.

I had a peculiar episode when the bike refused to change into gear just after starting, then later behaved normally. So I decided to investigate. This shows how I navigated to the appropriate diagnostics.

With no access to a Yamaha workshop manual for a 2014 FJR1300AS, but access to that of a 2006, I had to do a little experimenting. (The Haynes manual that I have doesn't cover the YCC-S of the 2013/4, nor does it help with any diagnostic mode.)

To enter diagnostic mode, firstly I released my Cruise Control Power Switch that I normally have held pressed - I don't know if this affects anything, but ...

I set the Engine Stop Switch so that fuel pump wouldn't run.

My first attempt, I turned on the ignition, then pressed and held the TCS and RESET switches. After about 8 seconds, the screen showed "DIAG", but nothing I did would change it from that display.

(Click on image for larger view)

Diag mode, but not productive

So, I turned off the ignition, held down the TCS and RESET switches, then turned on the ignition. After about 8 seconds, the screen showed a menu with selections for ECU, MCU and SCU.

Diagnostic selection ... ... SCU highlighted

Using the TCS switch, the highlighted entry can be scrolled (possibly the RESET switch will scroll the other way). When the desired selection is highlighted (in my case MCU for the YCC-S system), press and hold both TCS and RESET switches. After about 2 seconds, the selected diagnostic screen appears.

Mine showed SH_ _61 (the stored errors selection), and 51, a stored error code. Also the Shift Down Indicator Light was on - I take that to indicate the existence of at least one stored error code, as the Hand Shift Select Indicator Light did on the '06 to '12 FJR1300AS.

SH_ _61 shows code 51, Shift Down Indicator Light is on

The '06 workshop manual indicates that error code 51 is "Shift actuator sensor signal is abnormal", which is consistant with its reluctance to change gear.

The "SH_ _??" selection can be scrolled up and down to any of the possibilities by using the TCS or RESET switches.

I was only interested in clearing the fault code, so I selected SH_ _62.

The display showed 01, meaning one code stored (no picture).

With the '06, the code can be cleared using the Hand Shift Control Switch. As the '14 doesn't have one, I tried various switches, unfortunately I can't remember which one finally cleared it, but it was one of the Cruise Control Power Switch, the Stop Mode Function Switch, or the gear-change switch.

No stored errors after clearing

That's as far as I went. I didn't want to disturb any of the settings, which some of the other selections can do. In fact, in retrospect, for warrenty reasons I shouldn't have cleared the error code.

So, ignition off, and back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, but what caused it?? Without knowing that, it is bound to repeat.
Don't know, but at least I know it wasn't terminal, though it could be highly inconvenient. I'm travelling to foreign parts in three weeks - you know, ferries, fast roads, tight windy roads, mountain passes, hotels, a language I don't speak, poor cellphone service ...

I'll take the story to my dealer to at least flag a potential problem, meanwhile I'll continue using it and not worrying. I've other more important things to worry about, my dearly beloved is being given a new hip in two day's time.

Don't you just hate it when HotRodZilla is correct? It did happen again.

This time, I rolled it back into the garage, checked for a diagnostic code, there wasn't any fault recorded. I waggled the shift actuator rod, but not enough to force a gear-change. Started it up again, now it changed gear properly. Could be I disturbed a sensor, the engine was a little warmer, or the motorcycle gods were looking the other way.

So I took it to my dealer, told him the full story. He had it in his workshop, reappearing an hour or so later. He says one of the diagnostics suggested a problem with the gear-shift actuator position sensor or its wiring/connectors. He looked up the part, you have to get the whole actuator assembly, the retail price is something over £2000 (~$3000).

The good news is that this is under warranty, will cost me nothing. The not-so-good news is that I'm leaving for over a week touring in Spain in eight day's time. There's no way they can change the part before then. The bad news is that there's no certainty that this is really the problem; he certainly wasn't sure, but could find nothing else wrong.

Nothing to do with my issue, but while I was waiting, I wandered round his display of bikes. I found a new 2014 AS (just like mine) with £1500-odd knocked off the retail price. Also, my '10 that I traded in for my present one, it's sat there for over six months, the price on it is what he first put on it. He sold my first trade-in within a month or so.