Shoei Multitec Helmet and Heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I just wanted to share something I learned this last week. Long story short; I bought a Motocomm MC-752 and a Motorola TALKABOUT T9500XLR Two Way Radios to install into both of our Multitec helmets. My wife's helmet was pretty easy with no issues and I was able to tuck the extra cords very carefully down the back of her helmet. On my helmet there was a deformity in the internal foam on the back piece that is against the back of my neck and the front piece where it looks like it was melted or something? I live about 2 miles from Shoei Irvine so I thought I would stop in to see what they thought.

They told me this likely happened while it was in the side case in my FJR on a hot day? Is that possible. He told me there was significant internal heat damage and that I would need to pay $75 for him to replace this piece. I asked him if this was a manufacturing defect or if this could be serviced under their warranty and Patrick replied, "no". He went on to say that if my head hit in that place on the helmet that it would not be good so I decided to have it repaired. I had a ride this weekend so they were able to do a 1-day turn around and I picked up the helmet the next day. I am not sure how helpful this information is but I thought I would share it in the event others had a similar issue. I do not think I will be putting my helmet in the side case anymore after a long ride when the bike is hot. The helmet is either on my head or in the side case so I am thinking it must have happened then. I finished installing the Motocomm headset and it works perfectly. I even got the MP3 attachment for another $19 and was able to listen to my iPod during the ride AND hear my wife when she wanted to point something out. Both units with radio's came to $205 and it was the cheapest solution I could find that works perfectly. Stay safe guys and if you have one of these helmets check the foam inside your helmet to make sure it has not broke-down due to heat.

I just wanted to share something I learned this last week. Long story short; I bought a Motocomm MC-752 and a Motorola TALKABOUT T9500XLR Two Way Radios to install into both of our Multitec helmets. My wife's helmet was pretty easy with no issues and I was able to tuck the extra cords very carefully down the back of her helmet. On my helmet there was a deformity in the internal foam on the back piece that is against the back of my neck and the front piece where it looks like it was melted or something? I live about 2 miles from Shoei Irvine so I thought I would stop in to see what they thought.
They told me this likely happened while it was in the side case in my FJR on a hot day? Is that possible. He told me there was significant internal heat damage and that I would need to pay $75 for him to replace this piece. I asked him if this was a manufacturing defect or if this could be serviced under their warranty and Patrick replied, "no". He went on to say that if my head hit in that place on the helmet that it would not be good so I decided to have it repaired. I had a ride this weekend so they were able to do a 1-day turn around and I picked up the helmet the next day. I am not sure how helpful this information is but I thought I would share it in the event others had a similar issue. I do not think I will be putting my helmet in the side case anymore after a long ride when the bike is hot. The helmet is either on my head or in the side case so I am thinking it must have happened then. I finished installing the Motocomm headset and it works perfectly. I even got the MP3 attachment for another $19 and was able to listen to my iPod during the ride AND hear my wife when she wanted to point something out. Both units with radio's came to $205 and it was the cheapest solution I could find that works perfectly. Stay safe guys and if you have one of these helmets check the foam inside your helmet to make sure it has not broke-down due to heat.

Which material was deformed? The expanded polystyrene foam (aka Styrofoam)? If so, I doubt that this happened in your side case. Think of how hot a cup of coffee is and styrofoam stands up to that just fine. I seriously doubt your side cases get as hot as a cup of coffee.

I'd be more suspicious that the foam met up with some sort of chemical solvent. That could easily deform the foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot enough to melt a plastic helmet part...yet not hot enough to do anything to the side case?

Hmmmmm.......call me a skeptic.

I have a Shoei RF1000 and have had it baking in the Florida sun for long periods without incident. It uses the same materials. Sounds like they are giving you the run around.

You didn't mention how long the helmet sat in the side case and how hot it was, and how old the helmet is; however, I doubt very much that being in your side bag did that. If helmets are that fragile, we're in trouble. If your helmet is 3 years or older it could be spent, time for a new one. I rotate my helmets about every 2-3 years, wearing it each day takes a toll on the internal Styrofoam.

Also why was melting only in the one area at the back of the helmet, why not the whole helmet?

It's quite possible this was done at the factory, by the foam some how just being compressed by an object, or mishandling.

A dead give away when buying helmets, the internal Styrofoam is usually painted black, you see only black. If the foam has been compromised or even over time, you'll start seeing the white of the Styrofoam showing through as the foam slowly compresses over time and normal wear and tear.

I think the Shoei rep should have replaced this under warranty, if it's still under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that it is a mutitech the helmet is not very old. I agree the shoei rep is full of crap.. If it would melt the inside of the helmet why not with the sun beating on it. How come rain gear doesn't melt? I would go full bore on this rep. sorry

Have you ridden with the helmet in the side bag, and how close is your side bag to the exhaust?

I ride with heat sensitive items in my side bags all the time and have never had a problem. Then again, the NH sun in mid July is equal the Fla sun in January :eek:

I've gone on rides with a bag of MMs in my side cases. After a full day of riding, the MM's were still intact. I also keep all my paperwork in a plastic sandwich bag on the other side. The inside of those cases does not get that hot. It sounds like he was blowing smoke, and you should work on getting a refund. If the cases did get that hot, everytime you parked your bike, and reached inside the bag to get something out, you would burn your hand (or at least realize that your stuff is HOT).

Latest posts