Shorai phishing attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
Today I received the following email in my inbox:

from Aaron Jackson-Wilde [email protected] [email protected]

date Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

subject IMPORTANT Credit Card Orders Placed between 5-26 and 6-8 will be processed and charged by next Friday, March 23rd 2012

Important mainly because of the words in the message.

Images from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.

hide details 6:58 PM (3 hours ago)

Dear Shorai Customer,

Our accountant has determined that certain orders placed between May 26th and June 9th had not been charged due to a temporary configuration glitch on our website. One or more of your transactions were affected. We have your card used from the transaction on file and will likely be using this same card unless it has expired. This notice is to inform you that your credit card used at the time of the order will be charged for the balance of the order placed. Please contact us at 888-477-4848 if you have any questions or concerns or feel free to respond to this email: [email protected]. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your assistance regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
I checked my account and sure enough I bought a battery from them in that time period, and sure enough they charged me. Looking at the email, it uses shorai.org whereas the legit website is at shoraipower.com. I have sent an inquiry to Shorai and notified my bank. I will keep y'all posted with what happens next ... have any of your received this email too?

There's a part of me that wants to respond to them and tell them my card has been canceled but I can send a check, I just need a name and an address ... and visit them, bringing that redheaded zombiekiller with me for backup ...

...There's a part of me that wants to respond to them and tell them my card has been canceled but I can send a check, I just need a name and an address ... and visit them, bringing that redheaded zombiekiller with me for backup ...
Sorry this happened to you... what you could do QUICK,

is Dispute this Charge on your Credit Card until the Real Vendor is Identified.

You can call them or do it on line...

...then visit them, bringing that redheaded zombiekiller with me for backup

Last edited by a moderator:
Call the bank and have them put a lock on the account that requires a verification from a pre-defined phone number for each charge. They have to call you to approve each transaction. A PITA for a while but a certain way to prevent unauthorized transactions.

Or change the card number (get a new card).

Much easier than picking up the pieces after the fact. (DAMHIK:IJK:OK?)

I did some looking around, and "shorai.org" is legit. It appears they use that designation for email for some reason. I'm guessing they weren't hacked, but had some type of computer glitch that caused them to think you didn't pay.

Usually a phishing email will try to get you to reveal acct info or login info. This looks legit to me. Call the phone number and put yourself at ease.

Not uncommon for a company to own more than one domain. Shorai.org is registered to Network Solutions is PA with a POC and phone. Looks like they have shoraipower.com because shorai.com was taken. Too bad for them as the owner of shorai.com is doing nothing with it.

Doesn't look or smell like a phishing attempt. If it is, it is a pretty elaborate one. Good to exercise caution of course.

Assuming it is legit, hopefully they won't double charge you.

The phone number in the email matches the phone number on shorairpower.com under the Customer Service heading down by the shipping damage contact information. shorai.org has been registered since at least June 2010. Looks like it is registered to Shorai Inc., too. The domain contact name is also the same for shorai.org and shoraipower.com

I think you're fine. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, if it had said something like "We need to verify your card info, click here to proceed." then you'd have something to worry about.

Yes, the phone number matches, and when I sent them an inquiry, the canned response "we got your email" was form Shorai.org, so I agree, the email is probably legit. No response from them, and they have charged me a second time for the battery.

EDIT: I left out a very important word above ... I meant to say that they have NOT charged me a second time.

That's okay. They gave me a new battery. My LFX18A1 was discharged, and I couldn't get to accept a charge. I called for suggestions and thought I had left it as I would check back after trying some of their suggestions. Meanwhile, I borrowed a better 2 amp charger that did bring the unit to 13 volts. To my surprise they sent me a new battery and return shipping label.

So I have the lead battery in there, but it only show s 12.7 volts. That new one sitting on the shop bench at 13.8 volts is looking pretty tempting.