Short Rider Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaduke

Reaction score
How many of you guys are 5'10" and under?

I'm currently looking at '16 and new FJR's and was wondering what if anything you needed to change/adapt to make it fit better for you?

I stand about 5'9"

How is the bike at low speeds? Etc.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I m about 5-7.

Overall, bike fits me like a glove.

But I wont lie, it is intimidating at low speeds.

Parking and especially u-turns demand your

full attention.

As with any heavy, full-size bike, one slip and

youre going down.

The trick is to plan your low-speed maneuvers

carefully and execute them deliberately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'7 on a good day. At 5'9 you will be fine or go ride a tall dirt bike for a while and the FJR will be cake.

PS Buy the new one.
I'm looking at '16's and newer. My must haves are the 6 speed and ES. I'd jump on the '18 right now but I'm not a huge fan of the matte finish, love the color though and the 17's are not high on my list either because I don't want a black paint job. I'm OCD when it comes to taking care of paint and black SHOWS EVERYTHING, I don't want to deal with it.

tease.gif
Hoping they go back to a gloss finish for '19.

More important is the short inseam -- and mine's 30 inches. Can't flat-foot both sides, but I've gotten very accustomed to flat-footing one side with other foot on brake pedal or shift lever. Helps to slide forward (skinny part of the saddle) and an aftermarket saddle may help even more. (I have over 50,000 miles on my first Seat Concepts cover, and it's probably time to get a replacement.)

I can tiptoe both sides simultaneously, which isn't a big deal once you understand to constantly assess how the bike's leaning. For giggles, I often try to lift both feet while stopped at the traffic light. It's possible to balance for two or three seconds, actually.

As for slow-speed practice, try this: clicky-clicky

5ft 8.5 inches. But it's your inseam measurement that's more important, mine is 31 inches. I've used both the OEM seat and the so-called "comfort" seat, both cut about the same.

When I first got the FJR it was a little intimidating, but I got used to it, learnt how to move on the seat to get the best foot purchase. I can just about flat-foot with straight legs and sitting forward in the seat.

As for slow speeds, balance isn't an issue, it's very stable at any speed above walking pace. On the road, moving from rest, my feet are usually on the pegs before the bike has moved a foot.

Very slow speed manoeuvring does require care, in my case it's made a little trickier because my YCC-S variant doesn't allow the controlled clutch feathering that the conventional bike does.

I've never, ever, regretted getting the FJR, I am now on number 4.

Boots with thick soles and a Corbin seat worked for me. (5' 7-1/2") It was not so much the seat being lower, although it was, but it was narrower, which gave a straighter shot for feet to touch down. Both of them.

Just always plan to park where you don't have to back it up either on level or up hill.

30" inseam, 1" lowering bones, corbin seat and shaved down some. I have to back it up at work and home. Also found out it is a little easier to back it up in neutral then in 1st with clutch pulled in.

Inseam challenged here too...good boots with thick soles help. I'm a bit over 5'-9" but shortish 30" inseam. A Laam seat that's narrowed at the front helps but as mentioned, touching with both feet is overrated! Plan your low speed moves and parking spots and all's well.

Echoing mcatrophy, I'm on FJR #4 as well, wouldn't be without one.

~G

5' 8 3/4, 32 inch inseam, 155 lbs. No problem flat footing at stops, Alll the previous warnings about slow speed tipovers are serious. Lots of practice with slow speed turns. I used a friends 250 for that, full lock turns either direction after a little practice. The feeling carries over to the FJR but I don't try full lock turns and use plenty of weight shifting to the outside of the turn to keep it more upright.++

I'm 5'10" with a little over 32" inseam and do fine even with the (stock) seat in the high position. Can flat foot both sides. A little different with the RDL I tried briefly (thanks Ross Kean) but could still get both feet on the ground with heels slightly lifted. I'm only on my first FJR but wouldn't hesitate on getting a second (or third, or fourth...).

Another 5'8"ish rider with a 30"ish inseam. Even with my Sargent seat, have no problems balancing or holding the bike upright when stopped.

Will admit the design of the FJR makes it top-heavy, but you forget about that once you roll-off...

On my second FJR... a 2011 silver, and my current 2016 Blue ES... The blue sure looks pretty in the Arizona sun...

You won't regret a Gen 4 FJR (especially the Cobalt Blue '16)...

5’3” with a 29” inseam. I use lots of cheats like an aftermarket saddle that’s a bit thinner, boots with 1/4” extra sole added, and the suspension set just a wee bit lower than optimal, but the best thing I did was practice the slow speed stuff...a lot. Oh yea, frame sliders help too.

I'm looking at '16's and newer. My must haves are the 6 speed and ES. I'd jump on the '18 right now but I'm not a huge fan of the matte finish, love the color though and the 17's are not high on my list either because I don't want a black paint job. I'm OCD when it comes to taking care of paint and black SHOWS EVERYTHING, I don't want to deal with it.
tease.gif
Buy the '18 in matte and i'll trade you my tank and body panels. I am so tempted to sell my '13 and buy an '18 just for the color.

Wonder how much it'd cost me to buy all the '18 blue body parts
stinker.gif

tease.gif
I was in the exact same situation five months ago (also in Seattle actually!). I found a slightly used 2016 ES eventually. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and have no problem with the bike. I tried both high and low seat setting, and prefer the low setting, as I can flatfoot on both sides while stopped. I thought I would prefer the high setting due to the better knee angle, but on a recent 480 mile trip over a few days, I had no problems with my knees using the low seat setting, and even the stock seat seems great! (I'm sure others will disagree here...). The bike is a joy to ride!