Short Rider Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2wheels4fun posted, in part: Just always plan to park where you don't have to back it up either on level or up hill.
NEVER park facing downhill. If the bike rolls forward two or three inches, the sidestand will retract and you're picking up 680 pounds of FJR. How do I know this?

If there's a slope, pull a semi-U-turn in the parking aisle, and let gravity be your 'reverse gear' as you duck-walk it backwards into the parking space.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fix for parking down hill is leave it in first. And/or rig a bungee to pull the front brake in. Agreed that parking downhill is a bit risky, but the risks can be mitigated.

I lowered the front by sliding the forks up 1/2". I lowered the back 3/4" by changing the links. I then had to straighten the kickstand (with a forge/blowtorch) to keep a proper lean. It was well worth the effort. No adverse effect on handling or leaning.

The fix for parking down hill is leave it in first. And/or rig a bungee to pull the front brake in. Agreed that parking downhill is a bit risky, but the risks can be mitigated.
Still have to back it uphill. Unless you maybe bungee to a buddy who parked facing uphill and can tow you out.

Shit! You're short? Well, I'm 5'9", and I don't consider myself short. Shorter than many, but taller than a lot. What's kind of cool is my FJR has always fit me very well without any mods. So, I'd say people in our range are about average for who the bike was built.

The FJR has always been a little tall, but it doesn't bother me. I have great control at slow speeds. No idea why that's even a concern. Dropping a foot to the ground to stop a fall, even at slow speeds, with the weight of this bike may cause some ugly injuries. On the rare occasion I've had to do it, it's never been a problem. I am not one of those "flat foot on both sides" dorks. I can touch balls of feet, and I can put a full foot down on either side. I don't get why people freak out about not being able to flat-foot both sides of the bike at the same time.

Depending on the grade and the surface, I can either paddle it backwards from the seat, or on difficult gravel or inclines areas, I'll jump off and walk it back. Works for me and I've never dumped it doing that.

Buy the bike and have fun. Don't lower it as you lose clearance and there's not a lot present in the first place. Since upgrading my suspension, I don't touch pegs as easily, but it's harder to reach the ground. Still not a big deal, so I think you'll be fine. BTW, my inseam is about average at about 32".

Still have to back it uphill. Unless you maybe bungee to a buddy who parked facing uphill and can tow you out.
Sorry - I was thinking of there being a way to continue ahead. For example, stopping somewhere for a picture or two, but the parking spot is nose down and a U-turn in and U-turn out isn't a winner. Parking in a lot, nose in and nose down? Pick another parking spot. Learn to back in. IMHO this is one place later 'Wings and new K1600's excel - starter as reverser.

Well the OP's question wasn't about lowering the bike, just asked how riders under 5'10" deal with the bike. It's evident that many find no problems that they can't find alternatives to.

I remember seeing some guy straddling his bike in a parking lot and trying to roll it foreword into a space. I stopped lifted up my visor and said "You know that thing has a motor that can do that for you?"

Just a matter of thinking ahead abit. Never ever had to park "downhill" (nose down) ...always found a way to park back wheel down.

The amount of awesomeness this bike processes is worth finding intelligent answers for what's just a matter of simple logistics.

Although I'm very skeptical of frame lowering, which limits suspension travel, "in tough times, even the devil eats flies".

Tiptoeing a bike is, IMHO, dumps waiting to happen. I've seen it happen too often on too many different bikes, from a Suzuki 500 that had good touring potential to an RT going down, 2-up. If someone can't flat-foot an FJR, time to think about radical changes or picking a bike that fits. I have about a 33-34" inseam, and I need to be careful about staying upright while flat-footed. I get it that folks with shorter inseams can manage the FJR. To answer the OP's OP, think real hard about what you're getting into. YMMV.

Inseam challenged here too...good boots with thick soles help. I'm a bit over 5'-9" but shortish 30" inseam. A Laam seat that's narrowed at the front helps but as mentioned, touching with both feet is overrated! Plan your low speed moves and parking spots and all's well.
Echoing mcatrophy, I'm on FJR #4 as well, wouldn't be without one.

~G
^^^ very similar profile. I'm 5'9.5" tall with 31" inseam. Laam seat. If I move forward on seat I can flat foot but rarely bother. Flat foot on one side and ball of foot on the other is very stable.

Although I'm very skeptical of frame lowering, which limits suspension travel, "in tough times, even the devil eats flies".
Tiptoeing a bike is, IMHO, dumps waiting to happen. I've seen it happen too often on too many different bikes, from a Suzuki 500 that had good touring potential to an RT going down, 2-up. If someone can't flat-foot an FJR, time to think about radical changes or picking a bike that fits. I have about a 33-34" inseam, and I need to be careful about staying upright while flat-footed. I get it that folks with shorter inseams can manage the FJR. To answer the OP's OP, think real hard about what you're getting into. YMMV.
Wrong! Maybe if someone is on tip-toes, it's an issue, but balls of feet is very stable. The problem is, you have the riders backwards. Maybe if someone is riding a bike and cannot handle it unless they are flat-footed, they need to rethink their choice. Or maybe not. Maybe they just need more confidence handling the bike. Either way, I cannot flat-foot this bike on two sides at the same time and have never been able to do so. Never had a single drop related to that. Mine have been pure dipshitedness.

Wrong! Maybe if someone is on tip-toes, it's an issue, but balls of feet is very stable. The problem is, you have the riders backwards. Maybe if someone is riding a bike and cannot handle it unless they are flat-footed, they need to rethink their choice. Or maybe not. Maybe they just need more confidence handling the bike. Either way, I cannot flat-foot this bike on two sides at the same time and have never been able to do so. Never had a single drop related to that. Mine have been pure dipshitedness.
Gotta agree with AJ. I'm tall at 6"3" but inseam challenged and can't flat foot my FJR. In 150k never had a drop caused by that. Did have one due to dipshitedness. Is that even a word??

HRZ: <snip> Maybe if someone is riding a bike and cannot handle it unless they are flat-footed, they need to rethink their choice.
This ^^^^ agree with HRZ completely...unless you're getting up in the years and don't have the strength and/or balance to ride anymore. But, that's a whole different discussion.

~G

Not getting the importance of being able to get two feet flat down at one time over getting both feet down "on the balls of the foot". If you are walking a bike forward while straddling it, you're doing so on the balls of your feet, not your heels. Ditto pushing it backwards. Your are not using your ankle muscles to move the bike, your using your leg muscles. When you walk it's not your heels propelling you forward, its you pushing off with your toes.

Although by sliding up towards the tank and stretching my legs, I could get both heels down. But in all my time on the bike this ability was hardly ever used, and I never dropped my bike due to using just the balls (and toes) of my feet. When I stopped at a light I usually used one foot or both toes.

I rode tall dirt bikes for years where only one foot could be put down, and there too the only times the bike was dropped was due to stupidity not foot placement.

Not getting the importance of being able to get two feet flat down at one time over getting both feet down "on the balls of the foot". If you are walking a bike forward while straddling it, you're doing so on the balls of your feet, not your heels. Ditto pushing it backwards. You are not using your ankle muscles to move the bike, you're using your leg muscles. When you walk it's not your heels propelling you forward, it's you pushing off with your toes.Although by sliding up towards the tank and stretching my legs, I could get both heels down. But in all my time on the bike this ability was hardly ever used, and I never dropped my bike due to using just the balls (and toes) of my feet. When I stopped at a light I usually used one foot or both toes.

I rode tall dirt bikes for years where only one foot could be put down, and there too the only times the bike was dropped was due to stupidity not foot placement.
Agree with what you say. There's no need to be able to flat foot simply to hold the bike up when stationary.

I think the ability to flat foot simply shows that you have sufficient length of leg that makes paddling the bike backwards relatively easy, since you have to start with a bent leg in order to push back.

A bit of extra leg length also helps if you are on uneven ground or a road with significant camber.

And even if it's paddling around, the moment the wheels get rolling even a little, you get your feet on the pegs and work your slow-speed mojo. If you need to move a nearly-stationary bike around, do like shops everywhere do and walk along side it.

HotRodZilla posted: (in part) .... I cannot flat-foot this bike on two sides at the same time and have never been able to do so. Never had a single drop related to that. Mine have been pure dipshitedness.
Anyone who's been around here for long knows I've dropped my bike several times in parking lots. Your drops are indeed likely to dipshitedness; my drops were due to inattention and a predisposition to front brake usage (a bad idea). Except one.

That single crash-and-burn was an attempt to impress a babe. The FJR was too heavy to pick up, and I had to ask her for help. As the youngsters say: EPIC FAIL.

HotRodZilla posted: (in part) .... I cannot flat-foot this bike on two sides at the same time and have never been able to do so. Never had a single drop related to that. Mine have been pure dipshitedness.
Anyone who's been around here for long knows I've dropped my bike several times in parking lots. Your drops are indeed likely to dipshitedness; my drops were due to inattention and a predisposition to front brake usage (a bad idea). Except one.

That single crash-and-burn was an attempt to impress a babe. The FJR was too heavy to pick up, and I had to ask her for help. As the youngsters say: EPIC FAIL.
HUD, you just gave prime examples of "dipshitedness." Its not something we normally are, it's just something we let creep up on us and mess with our heads. Any activity related to impressing a babe is automatically deemed dipshited! I've been there. The crashes and firestorms that follow are always epic!