Side Bag Lid Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXFJR

Reaction score
I am looking to replace a damaged side bag that has a good color matched lid with a good bag and a wrong color lid. I had read the post where it was suggested to drill the rivets and do a lid swap which I should be able to handle that. The issue I'll have to deal with is that the lid with the correct color has outer painted cover and lid base separation. Has anyone had experience with how these lids are assembled? I'm assuming that it could be secured back with adhesive or maybe double stick tape? I just don't want to get too aggressive and damage anything when trying to get the two pieces apart in prep for the repair.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a few threads floating around on pannier lid separation. A few have had problem where the lid partially or completely separates, due to adhesive failure.

IIRC, it seemed to be heat related, so you could use a heat gun, (carefully!), once you drill out the hinge rivets.

Use a good quality adhesive to stick it back, as in this thread.

I just got 3 lids painted in 2004 color. I have an extra right side that I was thinking about putting up for sale.

The best thing for me to separate the lid from the case was to bend the pin capture tab open and remove the hinge pin like taking a door off.

There's a few threads floating around on pannier lid separation. A few have had problem where the lid partially or completely separates, due to adhesive failure.
IIRC, it seemed to be heat related, so you could use a heat gun, (carefully!), once you drill out the hinge rivets.

Use a good quality adhesive to stick it back, as in this thread.
Thanks for the input guys. Bluesdog, your link is exactly what I was looking for. I don't know why my search didn't pull it up. Sucks being a fng and not knowing how the forum works. Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator: