Small soft or hard bag/box for SR357

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Guys

Just looking for a very small soft bag/box i can mount on the SR357 for day rides to hold a one or two piece rain suit, other clothing etc . Any ideas???

Regards

Gazza,

Wolfman Luggage Peak Tailbag fits perfectly inside the mounting tabs on the Givi Rack. It comes with clips that attach to the bottom lip of the mounting plate. It's expensive at about $140 US but very nice. https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/peak-tail-bag

If you are looking for something more cost effective....on my FZ1 forum, there was just a thread about using inexpensive children's backpack as a seat/tail bag. I just picked a $12 bag on Amazon and attached it to the rear seat. You could fab up some straps for the Givi rack. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010DD51VG/ref=twister_B019C9H6C4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Kriega 10 liter .20 liter or 30.liter and for long trips Kriega 40 Liter its maid in England and it is one of the best water proof bags, by the way you can connect any one of the bags to the others in quick release manner .it is availabe at the web and if you like to see it in person :cycle gear have them to.good lack

One of my favorite bags is a small MotoFizz. With just the SR357 and decent strap placement, I think it'll ride just fine. With the trunk adapter in place...not so much.

--G

I have been watching this topic as I have a need for something that would fit onto a Give Monokey rack. I have a small tailpack that I keep bits and bobs in and at the moment I strap it to the SR 357. I am looking for some kind of kit or plate that would just clip on like the top box. I thought of buying a cheapo top box from Ebay and cutting out the bottom and using that. Any ideas welcome.

On my VFR800 I had Givi trunk and saddlebag mounts, but didn't like the big hard bags on it when out on a day ride playing. I took a piece of 1/2" plywood and made the appropriate cuts in it so it would engage the forward mounts of the trunk mount, and a small square cutout for the latch to stick up through. I drilled one hole through the plywood and the rack in the location that the electric interface goes on the trunk (which I did not have) and put a single nylon bolt (an unused toilet seat screw) down through both holding the plywood to the rack. I permanently mounted a nice looking soft tail pack I had bought for the purpose to the plywood.

It wasn't as neat as a self latching bag, but it was pretty easy on and off with one hand tightened screw. I'll try to dig up some photos later.

OK, so here's what I came up with. 1/2" plywood cut free-hand with a saber saw, edges sanded smooth, then rattle-can sprayed black. This was for a Givi Mono-Lock trunk mount so the front attachment is a little different than a Mono-Key mounting. The Mono-Key may actually be simpler as all you need is to cut the two slots that fit under the two tabs on the mounting plate.

163.jpg

Mounted bag to plywood with through bolts and washers

168.jpg

Used furniture connector nuts underneath so the back side would be nearly flush.

167.jpg

Plastic nut under the trunk mounting plate holds the plywood on.

175.jpg

Finished tail bag in place:

171.jpg

172.jpg

176.jpg

Yup. I think I needed a small spacer or a couple of shorter bolts or something. Don't remember but nothing a quick trip to big box hardware didn't solve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might. When I was researching the M8 Trekker (which came out last year) a Givi rep told me they have a few versions that would bolt up to the 357 rack, it's just that they include the M5 ring by default. That said, it took a couple of phone calls and emails before someone was willing to say for sure the M8 would align. I ended up price shopping and checking return policies before ordering but as I said above it mounted up without too much finagling.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that have no clue what I was talking about, here's the top plate that is used on the Vstroms:

Picture014.jpg.jpg

As you can see, it is nice and flat and would make a great base for flopping any kind of soft bag on, plus it has the tabs and latch hook for the Givi Mono-key hard bags.

Underneath that flat center cover is a grid of diagonal squares that allows the mounting bolt locations to be varied a great deal. I'm betting that one would be able to get one of these mounted onto an SR rack. Here's a photo of Givi's E251 Universal Monokey trunk mount:

capture.jpg