Smuggler Fit & Finish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only seal on any FJR Smuggler I have seen is on the lip of the compartment as shown in your second photo. Looks like some sort of extra seal attached to the lid (like you did) may be the answer. I may try messing with the hinges a bit first - looks like some adjustment may be possible there.Thanks
Huh!! When I got this Smuggler, the lid was super loose. It wiggled, even when shut. I'd swear I saw residue from a missing seal, so figured it had fallen off. I'm pretty sure I followed the line, to install the stuff I bought. I couldn't figure out how the PO let it come off. When it's open now, the lid is still wiggly. However, after adding that seal to the lid, it shuts nice and tight.

IF the way I got this thing is the way it came from the factory, I'd be super pissed. I was surprised at how big of a piece of shit it felt like. For the money Corbin is asking for these things, I'd think the fit and finish would be top-notch. Hell, if that top seal isn't supposed to be there, I guess it's good that now people may see one will fit. The first thing I did after I installed that was run a hose over it to see if I could put stuff on there that's not supposed to be wet. It handled that well, and has been fine in the rain so far.

I have had some issues with water intrusion into my Smuggler so I wrote to Corbin asking if they had a procedure for adjusting the hinge and latch or if they could recommend some sort of weather-stripping (or other sealing method). Sent some photos of the seal, hinge, latch and Smuggler on bike. Here is the first answer from their technical guy (copy/paste of his entire response)...

"Looking at the photos, everything looks to be right.
Im sorry it takes on water during heavy down pours."

(I'm glad he feels sorry for me)

I asked (again) about adjustments or if there was anything else I could try and here is the second response...

"I dont think so, they lid looks tight

Maybe you can use a liner? On my personal bike my bag leaks, and i have weather proof liners that i use. keeps my stuff dry"

(Maybe I should just bungee a Zip-lock plastic bag to the back rack and forget the Smuggler.)

Gives me great faith in the company and their products!!
I will first try adjusting the hinges and then one of the sealing options that others have used. Don't think I'll bother to write back and ask him if he is serious.

The thing looks great and is convenient for short day rides. I still prefer the Givi top case for longer trips. Especially in the rain!!

I hope anyone planning to buy one of these reads this thread.

My Gen 3 smuggler fits good and rubbed a little on the top inside of the grab rail, it has Black rails so I put a thin strip of black tape you can't see when the smuggler is on the bike on the rails and all is good, every now and again I rub a little silicone on the tape to

keep the tape and smuggler from wearing on each other too much. Mine has not leaked much but I have an old tank bag cover that will line the whole inside of the smuggler and it has a draw string I pull tight when it rains for precaution.

Bottom line is that the smuggler looks fantastic but the quality control on the build sucks.

A buddy of mine went trough the same frustration with an awesome looking set of Corbin saddlebags for his ZX-14.

Looked great but rubbed on several spots of the stock body work and exhaust.

Seems to me the guys at Corbin could fabricate a case that fits without touching the other body parts and does not leak. My side bags do not leak even in heavy rain fall. The Smuggler is over priced and under designed.

Seems to me the guys at Corbin could fabricate a case that fits without touching the other body parts and does not leak. My side bags do not leak even in heavy rain fall. The Smuggler is over priced and under designed.
Agreed! But it looks great! They could learn something from Givi (or Yamaha) about building cases that are robust and leakproof.