SoCal Ride to Malibu & Santa Monica mountains

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
************NOTE**7/11/08*********

Please bring your own hard copies of maps. There are 4 maps total, logistically won't work for me to get copies.

OK gang here it is, short notice and all. You asked, you shall now receive.

Lets get LA, Orange, San Diego, and Ventura Counties (and any others) together for a great ride and excellent food in Malibu, on Saturday July 12th. Meet in Long Beach at 8:30am.

There are a lot of things going on, NAFO, AMA Races at Laguna Seca, and everything else and there's not much time before it gets real hot (unless we have another nasty heat wave before then), to head up the coast to Malibu and ride a few canyons in the Santa Monica mountains. This will be a fun, very twisty, very tight route in the Santa Monica mountains. It'll be great, we'll stop off at the The Rock Store, and eat at Malibu Seafood (over looking the ocean on PCH), best fish & chips around.

Here's the planned route.

I had to use "My Maps" on Google because as I did with the directions part with way points, I had so many deviations the lines would snap straight and shoot across the map and go out into the Pacific, it was ugly. So I did this. You get the idea here.

*************MORE EDIT***********************

I was able to fiddle with Google to get the ride from Long Beach to Malibu and get each loop separately. This should help you Zumo riders! I also got more accurate miles for this. Total miles and time for each ride and loop. I hope this helps for those that want to meet us some where. Estimated time is from Google, soooo......

Turn by turn directions:

LB to Malibu - Long Beach to Las FLores Canyon, Malibu; About 2 hour ride.

Loop One - Las FLores Canyon to Tuna Canyon & PCH; About 1 hour ride.

Loop Two - Latigo to Rock Store to Malibu Canyon & PCH - Then Lunch at Malibu Seafood! This entire loop about 1 hour ride. Maybe arrive at Rock Store around 12:30pm or 1pm???

Loop Three - Decker Canyon (23) to Mulholland & PCH; About 40 minute ride.

I don't have the total miles for this but from LB to Malibu is about 60 miles, each loop is about 19-26 miles, all total (I'm estimating here) about 130-150 miles one way. Granted it's not real far, but it's so twisty and tight you won't be going very fast. With all the stops too, it'll eat up a great deal of time.

I'm trying to take the coast as best I can, we will be in some city traffic in LA though.

Let me know who wants to go and I'll post the names up here. Everyone's welcome, all bikes, etc.

Goin: :yahoo:

FJRBluesman

DocDanDC

tonyrob

Slappy

ynotride

MojaveFJR 2-up (and maybe others)

03Silverbullet

FJstaR

Yorkmeister

Neil San Diego

amansker & Jillian

Low Level FJR Pilot

[SIZE=10pt]San Diego Riders NOTE:[/SIZE]

Slappy said:
For those of you coming from San Diego there will be a group meet at rest area between Camp Pen and Ocean Side approximately 8 miles N of 78 if you want to join Neil and Slappy up to LA. We will be departing at 7am sharp.
The official start will be at the Starbucks in Long Beach, on Bellflower Blvd. It's just east (or north) of the 405 Frwy on the right hand side. There is a 76 station to fill up just up the block from Starbucks in LB, top off there. We'll probably make a stop in Malibu for fuel for any bikes with less fuel capacity and mileage. I wll do the entire one way ride on a tank and fill up before I go home.

Meeting place, Starbucks - 2890 N Bellflower Blvd # A, Long Beach, CA - (562) 420-1317; 8:30am, we leave at 9am SHARP!

Second pitstop (maybe) Starbucks - Redondo Beach - 300 N Pacific Coast Hwy, Redondo Beach, CA - (310) 798-1567

Lunch at Malibu Seafood - 25653 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265 - (310) 456- 3430 or 310 456 6298

Last edited by a moderator:
you guys sure know how to pick your weekends don't you......

i will be in Santa Barbara that weekend on a rented wing.

R

I will really have to clear the books on this one. May be able to swing it but have a trip the 14th and then vacation (caging it) to Amarillo Texas. Put me down for a maybe right now. This looks like loads of fun and I really had a good time on the last ride. Oh, and Slappy has to wear a dress on this one.... :yahoo:

LLFJRP - I got you down for a maybe.

Slappy in a dress.... Just not right. There's a visual we don't need. :lol:

OK we're off to a slow start. Not much time left, get signed up! ;)

Sorry guys, I can't make it on the 12th, prior committments.

I have plans to join the annual mooning of the Amtrak that day :stop:

Shame, cause that would be a good tuneup for my Laguna Seca ride the following week with Valentino, Nicky, James and Colin.

Dammit I have to stop making plans in advance. I cant make it the 12th any other day and I would have been ok. Oh well next time.

I did just do the Malibu loop this past weekend and I saw no less then 8 bike cops with the radars on PCH. Be careful and don't speed to much on PCH. :yahoo:

Don't forget to look for the guy hiding in the bushes taking pictures on Mulholland. My wife managed to get a shot of him as we passed by and when we got home we found his site online and found our picture.

here he is lurking in the shadow

102_3429.jpg

and here is the shot he got of us

FJR.jpg

He wants 20 bucks for the original :angry:

I just signed on to the FJR forum and completed my intro and profile.

I am a friend/riding buddy of JORDYLAD, and would like to join you guys on your Malibu ride. I have ridden with YNOTRIDE (when JORDYLAD bought his FJR), but I am an interloper as I ride a ZX-12R fitted out as a Sport Tourer.

If you don't mind having non-Yamaheads along, I'd love to meet you somewhere near Malibu on the 12th.

Tony

I am a friend/riding buddy of JORDYLAD, and would like to join you guys on your Malibu ride. I have ridden with YNOTRIDE (when JORDYLAD bought his FJR), but I am an interloper as I ride a ZX-12R fitted out as a Sport Tourer.

If you don't mind having non-Yamaheads along, I'd love to meet you somewhere near Malibu on the 12th.

Tony
Welcome to the forum. I wont give you to much crap about your bike. I have ridden with you and remember not being able to keep up. :D

Men wear Kilts unlike swishy limp wristed folks like you that actually wear skirts. At the speeds you ride you need to lower that hemline just a bit.

I am definitely in and I may be bringing along the better half, and yes she is female and no she is not from an eastern block country.

Tony
Welcome to the forum. I wont give you to much crap about your bike. I have ridden with you and remember not being able to keep up. :D
Sorry, you won't be there..... But I liked the picture to picture above...... You'll have to give your wife a camcorder next time!!

Just did a similar ride last weekend. I rode up from San Diego to Santa Barbara on Sat. afternoon. It was a great ride and Sunday's return trip was even better. It was beautiful out and traffic was light. At one point while heading south on the coastal sweepers north of Malibu, about 100 or so gorgeous Ferrari's passed from the other direction. I kept thinking, "God bless America!"

Be careful North and South of the biker hangout Neptunes as the police were out in full force.

I did visit the rock store for the first time and enjoyed the canyon carving in the Santa Monica mountains. I took lots of pics of neat bikes at the rock store which I may post up at some point and the tri-tip was pretty good too. I even had a beer because it just felt right. There were some FAST riders out there. I didn't see anybody cross yellow but I hugged the right big time in case some yahoo lost it on a tight turn.

The coastal section from Huntington Beach to Dana Point was slow going but I already got some good hard riding in so I just cruised.

I don't think I'll be able to make it but I encourage everybody to try as it should be a great ride.

Men wear Kilts unlike swishy limp wristed folks like you that actually wear skirts. At the speeds you ride you need to lower that hemline just a bit.
I am definitely in and I may be bringing along the better half, and yes she is female and no she is not from an eastern block country.
Sorry Slap, I was just referring to one of the final conversations we were all having about taking one of your pictures from the last ride and Photoshopping it placing you in a dress for some crack you made to FJR Bluesman, don't really want you riding in Kilts, I agree with Bluesman, that would paint a really unwanted picture in my already scarred pshychie.

I'll check the calender tonight and see if i'm available for that.

Hey Slappy! Clean out yer inbox! I tried to get a PM to you and got turned down...

You know now that i think about it, maybe i can rope Tim (TWN) into riding down there with me. I will of course be on a wing with the wife on the back but thats better than nothing.

will let you know.

R