SoCal Ride to Malibu & Santa Monica mountains

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys have a great ride, wish I could join you on my FJR, but I'll be there riding my BMW. (hint hint) Be careful on the PCH portion of the ride in Malibu. During the summer there is increased enforcement so the Motorcops will be out in force. Be particularly careful in the 45mph sections of PCH and around PCH and Latigo Cyn. Have fun.
I did this ride two weekends ago and you are correct I think I saw you and all of your buddies that day out in force. There was a guy in a black toyota FJ that flew by me a little north of latigo canyon on PCH and as he passed I knew he was going to get busted. Sure enough 1 mile later he was pulled over by a bike cop. I had the biggest smile on my face when I passed him and thanked him for taking one for the team B)

Hey guys have a great ride, wish I could join you on my FJR, but I'll be there riding my BMW. (hint hint) Be careful on the PCH portion of the ride in Malibu. During the summer there is increased enforcement so the Motorcops will be out in force. Be particularly careful in the 45mph sections of PCH and around PCH and Latigo Cyn. Have fun.

So does that mean you are joing us on your bimmer?

Good advice and thanks for the heads up. Why I always ride far behind the last guy in the pack... Let smokey get someone else... :ph34r:
If I read between the lines correctly, I believe he will be working in the area on his bimmer...

MMarsh, if you see us, wave at us as we go by!

Gunny :) I usually finish up and roll thru the rock store. Might run into you guys there.

Thanks for the ETAs. If I am able to, I will catch up with you on PCH or at the Rock Store.

We plan to camp out after the ride. Anyone want to join us?

I have ridden through that area many times, but never camped. Any suggestions? Wouldn't mind traveling east for an hour or two so we can take I-15 home (San Diego county). I already know the land east of I-15 and want to stay on the west side. We don't want to be crammed in with other campers. Primitive is fine, running water preferable. Isolation, altitude, pine trees is preferable.

...crickets... (waiting for low level FJR pilot) ...crickets...

:D
Nothing like shaming a guy into answering. Still waiting for my kitchen pass, will know if the In Laws are coming over this Saturday or next by the end of the day. Praying for next Saturday instead, then...... :yahoo: I'm heading to Malibooooooo.

I am officially a part of this ride, kitchen pass in hand :spartak: . Put me on the list of for sures. :yahoo: I'll meet up with Neil, Slappy and Amansker at the rest area at 0700.

Last edited by a moderator:
We plan to camp out after the ride. Anyone want to join us?
I have ridden through that area many times, but never camped. Any suggestions? Wouldn't mind traveling east for an hour or two so we can take I-15 home (San Diego county). I already know the land east of I-15 and want to stay on the west side. We don't want to be crammed in with other campers. Primitive is fine, running water preferable. Isolation, altitude, pine trees is preferable.

More than sure there is camping up in ANGELES FOREST but you will have to do a google search. And I think, don't quote me on this, there is camping along the PCH but more up to NEPTUNES and Point Mugu area. Remember seeing campers/RVs along the ocean. Now, ya can't beat that, camping along the PCH, what a view in the AM. Its not too far from OXNARD/VENTURA area.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=630

Here is where we are going to be riding, pick a spot..

https://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/region_i...ntab=0&id=8

Sycamore Canyon / Sycamore Beach is one good place to camp. Also camping right along beach/coast hiway just north of there.

************NOTE**7/11/08*********

Please bring your own hard copies of maps. There are 4 maps total, logistically won't work for me to get copies.

For those of you coming from San Diego there will be a group meet at rest area between Camp Pen and Ocean Side approximately 8 miles N of 78 if you want to join Neil and Slappy up to LA. We will be departing at 7am sharp.
...and with that, you may count me as an official "yes".
I willl not be in Malibu at the start of the day, but I will wait for the San Diego mob at the entrance ramp of Camino de las Ramblas in Dana Point. Don't wait for me, I will be there around 7:30 to 8am, and I will wait for a bunch of FJR's to go by....... If you see a red ZX-12R with Bags and an old fart stalking you all, don't worry it will be me!!!

Tony

For those of you coming from San Diego there will be a group meet at rest area between Camp Pen and Ocean Side approximately 8 miles N of 78 if you want to join Neil and Slappy up to LA. We will be departing at 7am sharp.
...and with that, you may count me as an official "yes".
I willl not be in Malibu at the start of the day, but I will wait for the San Diego mob at the entrance ramp of Camino de las Ramblas in Dana Point. Don't wait for me, I will be there around 7:30 to 8am, and I will wait for a bunch of FJR's to go by....... If you see a red ZX-12R with Bags and an old fart stalking you all, don't worry it will be me!!!

Tony
Thanks for the warning, we were going to give the sweeper orders to take out anyone that didn't look like us. :ph34r: :assassin:

Tony
Tony,

If we are leaving the rest area at 7 exactly like we hope, we will probably blow by Camino de las Ramblas a few minutes before 7:30. I would count on about 7:20. I'll PM my cell number to you so you can call and see where we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony
Tony,

If we are leaving the rest area at 7 exactly like we hope, we will probably blow by Camino de las Ramblas a few minutes before 7:30. I would count on about 7:20. I'll PM my cell number to you so you can call and see where we are.
Thanks Neil, I'll be there around 7:15am and I have you r cell number too.... Looking forward to it...

Tony

As some of you know, I experienced a front brake failure as I was turning into Latigo Canyon Rd.

Sometime ago I participated in a group buy for Speigler brake lines. I opted for the single line from the master cylinder into a T fitting with a line going into eack caliber. The bracket for this T fiting broke and the brake line leading from the master cyclinder to this T bracket came loose at the Bamjo bolt, causing brake fluid to leak out.

Thankfully, the folks at Moto Line in Santa Monica was able to take care of me and got me on the road soon. They replaced the 2 lines from the T bracket with ones that were a little longer as the old line were to short. They think that is what caused the problem.

Anyways, I am home safe and sound and looking forward to riding with you fine folks again.

Steve