Son's first motorcycle ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
First, no I haven't given him his CRF50F yet. That's coming next month.

Yesterday his friend was over and they wanted to sit on the bike. As Jakob was sitting there in my spot I looked down at his feet. I made him scoot back to the passenger seat and bam, his feet rested on the passenger pegs for the first time in his life.

Knowing his mom can comfortably wear his adult size cowboy hat that fits his fat head, we tried on his mom's small adult helmet. Head shake test. Wow, it fits.

It's 70F outside and sunny. Perfect if it wasn't for a little wind.

So today he went for his first 20mph putt putt around the neighborhood. I'm still waiting for the screaming phone calls from his grandparents. :giveup:

2016-01-312010.59.33_zpszrf0npvg.jpg

2016-01-312011.00.20_zpspo9aee8o.jpg

Small short video.

In the end, his thoughts...thumbs up.

2016-01-312011.09.44_zpsbstbqvg5.jpg

And another boy hooked for life. Awesome! All 5 of my kids rode dirt bikes as kids. Hours and hours of riding. My youngest boy Trevor (18) rides to some of the rallies with me on his own Kawasaki Ninja 650. He thinks he's the luckiest kid alive. Plus it's fun riding with him. The motorcycle bug is a good thing to have.

He's about to turn 7. He's been sitting on my bikes for a while but this is his first time to go for a ride.

IMG_2378_zpsdebux84v.jpg

We are about to go somewhere and he just told his mom that she can drive herself, we are taking the motorcycle. Ha!

Awsome! It's been a few years but here was my boys first ride outside of the neighborhood.

Since then from Va. he has ridden pillion on the FJR up to and around the U.P and from Va. out west to include Yellowstone. Two years ago when he was 11 we took the Tenere to Alaska! Best trips ever. Hope your family is supportive in letting him explore some with Dad.

IMG_2921-X2.jpg

My (??? I guess?
uhoh.gif
) son will ride around in the yard with me while I practice my low speed maneuvers. I have never brought him out onto the road. His mother is...reluctant. She does not like the motorcycle but she supports my riding 100%. That support is NOT there for letting the boy ride. Honestly, he is ready and he wants to go. Mrs. Redfish is not ready for him to be on the road. There are reasons, good reasons that I have not fought that battle yet.

Strangely, he has no desire to ride his own bike or 4 wheeler. I ended up selling both due to a complete lack of interest. He operates the lawnmower, my 4 wheeler and Dad's 3 wheeler as yard tools but never for fun. He even operates the Monster (Massey) Fergusson on a limited basis but he has no desire to actually play on dirt bike. I have considered a paternity test but I do not want to get my feelings hurt.
upset.gif

Good for you Jasen, I am happy to see you enjoying your time with your son. I am jealous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Jasen! My girls love my motorcycles. Now I just need to cough up the cash to get them each their own dirt bikes. Motorcycles = Good. Boys = BAD. Or in your case, Girls= BAD. Lol...

Yea, we didn't go far. Stayed in the housing development and saw zero cars on the way around. Now it's time to load up the bicycles and go hit the mountain bike trails because we've finally had a long enough dry spell for them to open again!

That is Awesome, I remember, riding on the tank, holding the crossbar of the handlebars, my feet were on the cyl. head. But that was on a 1963 harley with my uncle, I guess I started out really young, He let me ride it in the school yard before my feet could reach the ground.

My daughters rode on my 77 KZ1000 because I put extra foot pegs higher up on the frame by the side covers. Maybe someone has installed peg lowering kits upside down for short legged people to ride.

My mom is 4 foot 10 inches and rode on the back of most of my bikes, including my VW Trike in 1975. She has also been on the back of the FJR starting in 2007. She will never ride a motorcycle by herself, she is 84 years old and has never had a drivers license. I better get her back on the bike and take more pictures of mom and the grandkids on motorcycles too.

Thanks for getting me thinking about how much motorcycles and family mean to me. My motorcycle friends are a big part of my family and it is great to see the love shared with other generations, older or younger.

Seeing those pics of Jakob on his first ride brings back a lot of memories.... As soon as our kids could reach the pegs, they were geared up and riding with us. It always made me laugh when I'd glance in my mirrors and see their hands gliding up and down with the wind.

Now... our son just turned 20 and is stationed at MCAS Iwakuni Japan and our daughter is 17 and more interested in driving than riding these days.

gixxerjasen: treasure these moments... they don't last long.

PS: that's one handsome young man you have there!

My (??? I guess?
uhoh.gif
) son will ride around in the yard with me while I practice my low speed maneuvers. I have never brought him out onto the road. His mother is...reluctant. She does not like the motorcycle but she supports my riding 100%. That support is NOT there for letting the boy ride. Honestly, he is ready and he wants to go. Mrs. Redfish is not ready for him to be on the road. There are reasons, good reasons that I have not fought that battle yet.
Strangely, he has no desire to ride his own bike or 4 wheeler. I ended up selling both due to a complete lack of interest. He operates the lawnmower, my 4 wheeler and Dad's 3 wheeler as yard tools but never for fun. He even operates the Monster (Massey) Fergusson on a limited basis but he has no desire to actually play on dirt bike. I have considered a paternity test but I do not want to get my feelings hurt.
upset.gif

Good for you Jasen, I am happy to see you enjoying your time with your son. I am jealous.
Not at all unusual, happened with me and 2 brothers. Dad was a rider, obviously I am, but neither of my brothers is at all interested.

My son used to ride in front of me around our five acres on the SL 350 when he was 2-3, holding onto the bars cross-brace. At 5 he went on a 65-mile ride on I-15 with me. I think when he was 10 he rode over the Beartooth with me on back of the Blackbird. He had a 50cc Honda, then a 100cc Yamaha Enduro which we rode up in the mountains. He rode a Seca II for awhile, then used my GSX750R. He's living in the Phoenix area now and I'm glad he's not riding. His interests now lay elsewhere but I suspect he'll come back to motorcycles when he settles in somewhere. Taking your kids for rides is a good thing to do. Way to go GixxerJasen and Jakob! I can see Jakob is already hooked and about to be hooked deeper.

Grandson Wyatt was over this weekend. He just turned 4 in Jan....He was out riding his PW50
This is NOT helping me keep the secret of his dirt bike till his birthday. I SO want to give it to him right now.

Congrats Jason! Looking forward to seeing the little squirt in a future ride report!
You know it. He enjoys camping. Now I'll have to figure out how to fit enough camping gear on the bike for two people and lose the passenger seat for storage. Sigh, am I to become one of these crazy "FJR with a trailer" guys?

Way to go GixxerJasen and Jakob! I can see Jakob is already hooked and about to be hooked deeper.
Yep, he's hooked. His mom told him we all had to go to the store. He looked straight at her and told her "Mom, you are just going to have to drive yourself, because me and dad are taking the motorcycle!"

Whoa little dude, slow down!
biggrin.png

Crazy? Hey we resemble that remark!
punk.gif
The trailer was awesome. worked much better than our sidecar rig.

Beartooth Pass
IMG_2807-X2.jpg

20130427_144627-XL.jpg

Tenere instead of FJR but we still pulled a trailer. THE best thing you can do for riding with your son is a set of Bluetooth headsets!

If you have a minute check out our Alaska video. Needs some volume.

Latest posts