Southeast loop trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtoBthruS

Reaction score
Hello everybody - I am planning on a trip starting in Central Florida, going up through Augusta, Georgia, then on to Raleigh, Knoxville, Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta and then back home in Mount Dora, FL. I will be leaving home on July 17th and expect to be back home around August 1st, give or take a day or so. The purpose of the trip is to see my brand new shiny Granddaughter (my 1st!!)
yahoo.gif
, visit my sons and their wives, see a few customers as time allows and possibly catch an Atlanta Braves game. I am looking for suggestions on good (defined as twisty - both technical and sweeper) roads between Raleigh and Knoxville and Knoxville and Memphis. I can stray off I-40 a bit but I will don't have a lot of spare time if I am going to see everybody I plan to see.

This is my 1st big trip on this bike (or any other) and I am very excited about it. I commute 38 miles one way to work on the FJR pretty much every day and take an occasional weekend trip. I am working on my setup for the bike and me to make this trip smooth. I just ordered the Nelson Rigg CL-1040 to mount as a tail bag and I have a CL-135 I mount on a bracket I made to replace the pillion seat. I think those along with the 2 hard bags may be enough. I am unsure if I want a tank bag. I am also thinking about how to keep cool in the afternoons. I am considering one of the "phase change" vests. Does anybody have thoughts on them?

Thanks for any (and maybe all) input!

Gary

Just a quick note: Memphis is a fun city. I stayed at the Econolodge 2 blocks from Beale Street. If you pickup a hotels book at the visitors center, it's only $65.00 per night. Real easy walk to Beale Street. Lots of bars and restaurants.

I have one of the phase change vests and I'm sold on it!

It's great on my 30 mile commute home, I just pop it in the freezer at work sometime after lunch. A spare set of inserts in a small cooler (with ice water) about fill a saddle bag, but allows you to always have a set of solid (cold) inserts to swap.

I bought the TechKewl vest and 2 sets of inserts dirt cheap on ebay, the vest is a bit small for me and I prefer another color so i was looking to buy a vest only. Nobody listed vest only but a call to coolbandannas was promptly returned and they were nice enough to yank the inserts from a set and sell me the vest. Last I looked there was one left on amazon for 120$ with only one set of inserts.

Ato,

I live in the Raleigh area. If you are going to TN from here, you can take NC42 from just south of Raleigh to Asheboro and pick up US64 to Morganton (there are shorter routes) and then 181 up the east side of Appal. with lots of fast sweepers through Pisgah Nat Forest, hit the BRP south to 80, down the W side of BRP on 80 on some super twisties across 19E up to 226 for more sweepers that turns into TN107 and will take you over by Johnson City. The last half is part of the "Murder Mtn" loop. I just rode it last week. Awesome! Takes about 4-5 hrs to BRP using that route with a few stops for BBQ and ice cream.

Another option is to head N from the W side of Greensboro on 68 to 65 to 89 to 8 that takes you through Woolwine VA and up to the BRP, then head S through Fancy Gap into NC. There is Fancy Gap cabins/campground around MP290 that has nice small cabins w ceiling fans/fridge/micro/coffee maker for $50/night. Good stop!

A fun 30min+ loop is off of the BRP down the E side on 80 to Toms Creek over to 221/226 to 226A up to BRP. VERY twisty and puts you at the Little Switzerland exit on the BRP. Look for the Skyline Cavern Tavern at that intx. Head back south to take 80 down the W side.

Ato

You could pick up 19 W of Spruce Pine after 80 to 213 to 70 into TN. 19 is a good road with plenty of passing avail. Never been on 70 out that far, but looks good.

Have a safe one regardless.

I lived just west of Raleigh in Chapel Hill for many years and now Lenoir in the mountains. There's more available technical riding than you can imagine but it depends on your stamina. Taking I-40 all the way Raleigh > Knoxville is 350 miles. Since you say you don't want to stray too far here's a route that gives you a mix of twisties and sweepers from Wilksboro to Hot Springs, including the very technical NC-80, and keeps you under 400 miles on the day. Google Maps link.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCSurv - thanks for the great input. I did not mention that I will dropping my wife off at the Greensboro airport Sunday morning. We will leave from Raleigh and I will leave the airport around 9:30am. I have been studying Google maps and have come up with this:

Superslab it on I-40 to Marion and PU 221/226 northbound, then take the 226A loop (looks like fun) back over to 226N to Spruce Pine and PU 19E headed west, then PU northbound 19W to 352/212 southbound to 70/25 headed west (another great looking road!), go thru Hot Springs over to Newport and PU I-40 and grind it out to Knoxville. Google says this trip will take about 6 hours so I figure I can make it to my sons house in Knoxville by that evening. Then I will use his house as base for 1-2 days and scout around the area. I am guessing I will go south mostly.

Does this sound like a good approach?

Ato,

I live in the Raleigh area. If you are going to TN from here, you can take NC42 from just south of Raleigh to Asheboro and pick up US64 to Morganton (there are shorter routes) and then 181 up the east side of Appal. with lots of fast sweepers through Pisgah Nat Forest, hit the BRP south to 80, down the W side of BRP on 80 on some super twisties across 19E up to 226 for more sweepers that turns into TN107 and will take you over by Johnson City. The last half is part of the "Murder Mtn" loop. I just rode it last week. Awesome! Takes about 4-5 hrs to BRP using that route with a few stops for BBQ and ice cream.

Another option is to head N from the W side of Greensboro on 68 to 65 to 89 to 8 that takes you through Woolwine VA and up to the BRP, then head S through Fancy Gap into NC. There is Fancy Gap cabins/campground around MP290 that has nice small cabins w ceiling fans/fridge/micro/coffee maker for $50/night. Good stop!

A fun 30min+ loop is off of the BRP down the E side on 80 to Toms Creek over to 221/226 to 226A up to BRP. VERY twisty and puts you at the Little Switzerland exit on the BRP. Look for the Skyline Cavern Tavern at that intx. Head back south to take 80 down the W side.

Chuck - great! I ordered the TechKewl yesterday with an extra set of inserts. I am really looking forward to getting the relief on this trip and on my commute! Thanks for the input!!

I have one of the phase change vests and I'm sold on it!

It's great on my 30 mile commute home, I just pop it in the freezer at work sometime after lunch. A spare set of inserts in a small cooler (with ice water) about fill a saddle bag, but allows you to always have a set of solid (cold) inserts to swap.

I bought the TechKewl vest and 2 sets of inserts dirt cheap on ebay, the vest is a bit small for me and I prefer another color so i was looking to buy a vest only. Nobody listed vest only but a call to coolbandannas was promptly returned and they were nice enough to yank the inserts from a set and sell me the vest. Last I looked there was one left on amazon for 120$ with only one set of inserts.

Chuck - great! I ordered the TechKewl yesterday with an extra set of inserts. I am really looking forward to getting the relief on this trip and on my commute! Thanks for the input!!
Glad to hear it!

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

leedavis - thanks, your route looks a lot like what I put together except I ran up I-40 over to Marion to save some time. I will study your route and likely incorporate some of it into my plans. I will also consider taking 2 days to get to Knoxville instead of 1 so I can ride more of these roads. Thanks a lot!!

I lived just west of Raleigh in Chapel Hill for many years and now Lenoir in the mountains. There's more available technical riding than you can imagine but it depends on your stamina. Taking I-40 all the way Raleigh > Knoxville is 350 miles. Since you say you don't want to stray too far here's a route that gives you a mix of twisties and sweepers from Wilksboro to Hot Springs, including the very technical NC-80, and keeps you under 400 miles on the day. Google Maps link.

Ato

80 is very technical as is 226A. You can head south on BRP for a few miles after you climb 226A and take 80 W over to 19. It's a blast! May want to gas up on 221/226 before you peel off on 226A. I personally dont like being under 1/3 of a tank out there. I think your on the money and have fun!

Yep, I remember that road! My son and I rode it a few years ago when we spent the weekend running around up there. He was on his Kawa Z1000 and me on what he called my Barcalounger (FJR). Anyway, when we got to the top near BRP we both pulled off the side and gave a hoot!!! What a blast! We went back down and up for a 2nd time. Anyway, yea I am pretty stoked about this trip.

Do you know if there are similar roads to these between Knoxville and Memphis? That will be the next leg of my trip after I depart from my sons home in Knoxville.

By the way, do you know of any places like Fancy Gap Cabins in the area of Little Swiss or further west towards Knoxville? I don't want to go as far north as Va. on this trip but I would love to find a nice, bucolic cabin next to a babbling stream for $50 a night.

Again, thanks for all the input!!

Ato

80 is very technical as is 226A. You can head south on BRP for a few miles after you climb 226A and take 80 W over to 19. It's a blast! May want to gas up on 221/226 before you peel off on 226A. I personally dont like being under 1/3 of a tank out there. I think your on the money and have fun!

By the way, do you know of any places like Fancy Gap Cabins in the area of Little Swiss or further west towards Knoxville? I don't want to go as far north as Va. on this trip but I would love to find a nice, bucolic cabin next to a babbling stream for $50 a night.

Switzerland Inn has the Diamondback Lodge https://switzerlandinn.com/diamondback.html

It's a little more than $50 a night but has covered motorcycle parking (had an air compressor there years ago when I stayed there; don't know if it's still there). On site restaurant and second best views of any lodge on the BRP I've stayed in.

There is a place called Springmaid Mtn at the end of Henredon Rd off of Altapass Rd just a couple miles north of the BRP/226 intx. Altapass Rd intersects the BRP just N of 226. Cabins are $130 and are really nice. The place is very secluded along the N Toe River. Do a Google search. We go there to ride horses and chill. It's a bit pricey for an overnighter, but is really great! Check out JP's BBQ on the way into Spruce Pine too.

Lonerider - thanks, this looks very interesting! I will be checking it out. It looks like it has everything but the babbling stream.

Switzerland Inn has the Diamondback Lodge https://switzerlandi...iamondback.html

It's a little more than $50 a night but has covered motorcycle parking (had an air compressor there years ago when I stayed there; don't know if it's still there). On site restaurant and second best views of any lodge on the BRP I've stayed in.
NC - thanks but $130 won't fit my budget since my wife won't be with me for this part of the trip.

There is a place called Springmaid Mtn at the end of Henredon Rd off of Altapass Rd just a couple miles north of the BRP/226 intx. Altapass Rd intersects the BRP just N of 226. Cabins are $130 and are really nice. The place is very secluded along the N Toe River. Do a Google search. We go there to ride horses and chill. It's a bit pricey for an overnighter, but is really great! Check out JP's BBQ on the way into Spruce Pine too.

Latest posts