Spiegler Lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodstock

Reaction score
I'm going to get these installed this weekend on my ABS, I've read over this page which is very good. I'm having a friend help me who's done this before on sport bikes, so we should be ok.

In looking at the stuff from Spiegler there's a 2" long plastic? white cylinder about 1/4" in diameter. I haven't unpacked it yet, so it might be obvious when I do, but what is that thing? (I didn't see it referenced in the above site)

On the 2way manifold, one side has the double fitting banjo bolt. It looks (from the picture) like the double banjo is on the bike's left caliper line and shares that bolt with the line back to the ABS modulator (line 2)?

On the 2way manifold, one side has the double fitting banjo bolt. It looks (from the picture) like the double banjo is on the bike's left caliper line and shares that bolt with the line back to the ABS modulator (line 2)?
I guess in thinking about this more, it should be the right side caliper, since the ABS modulator is on the right side of the bike.

ABS- the line they sent me for that position #2 ( front line from the 2 way manifold to the hard pipe) is about two inchs longer than it needs to be. I had to postion the banjo pointing foward as far as posible to make it work. You didn't say if your doing your clutch line also. That will make a difference in your fun farkling factor. Let's us know how it goes.

I'm going to get these installed this weekend on my ABS, I've read over this page which is very good.  I'm having a friend help me who's done this before on sport bikes, so we should be ok.
In looking at the stuff from Spiegler there's a 2" long plastic? white cylinder about 1/4" in diameter.  I haven't unpacked it yet, so it might be obvious when I do, but what is that thing?  (I didn't see it referenced in the above site)
See this photo below (taken from HMarc's install page):

Vice.jpg

What Rick Conn (author of the article) evidently didn't understand is that you are supposed to slip that white place cylinder into the fitting opening, and simply twist the end fitting as needed. I dunno why he used the cresent wrench method (though it obviously works, too).

You'll likely find you'll need to do this on several of the fittings to obtain a slight adjustment for a better fit. This is how you avoid line twist and clearance/rubbing issues. And is the whole point behind their patented "torsion" system:

bl5_usa2.jpg

What Rick Conn (author of the article) evidently didn't understand is that you are supposed to slip that white place cylinder into the fitting opening, and simply twist the end fitting as needed. I dunno why he used the cresent wrench method (though it obviously works, too).
Excuse me! I built and R&D'd the ABS lines over 2 yrs ago. At that time the method for adjusting the banjos was with a 7mm wrench, there was no plastic rod. I had a tough turning banjo using the 7mm wrench and it slipped off its shoulders and nicked the banjo. I tried a pencil and that didn't work, so I then went with the larger wrench. That picture is 2-1/2 yrs old. A lot of changes have been made since then.

You still need the 7mm wrench, though, even with the plastic rod, right?
Try using the rod first, have the wrench on hand for back-up. You don't want to nick the wrenching area, but worse is to damage the flat sealing surface where the washers go. Just make sure you mash the blue blocks in the vice until they turn white at the jaws, so the banjo doesn't spin. Take your time, you'll be fine. It's not as bad as it sounds.

You still need the 7mm wrench, though, even with the plastic rod, right?
Try using the rod first, have the wrench on hand for back-up. You don't want to nick the wrenching area, but worse is to damage the flat sealing surface where the washers go. Just make sure you mash the blue blocks in the vice until they turn white at the jaws, so the banjo doesn't spin. Take your time, you'll be fine. It's not as bad as it sounds.
So the blue-block-in-vise holds the piece connected to the line, and the white plastic rod turns the end connected to the banjo, so you don't need either the 7mm wrench or the crecent wrench?

Excuse me! I built and R&D'd the ABS lines over 2 yrs ago. At that time the method for adjusting the banjos was with a 7mm wrench, there was no plastic rod.
Well then, I stad corrected... :D Sorry 'bout that! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about trying to install all my Spiegler stuff myself......no small consideration as I'm not the greatest wrench around. Really glad I decided not to. Installing the clutch line proved to be a real bitch. Even had my trusted "pro" mechanic cursing frequently. First one he had done on an FJR. Maybe the next time around it will be easier for him. The whole installation of all the lines, disks, bleeders and rotors came out simply great.