SPLIT: Off-topic Bandit Posts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
how about compare it to Suzuki Bandit 1250SA? :) The bandit weighs less, more nimble and fun. Of course it can't compare to FJR for power. I own both and enjoy both every minute.

how about compare it to Suzuki Bandit 1250SA? :) The bandit weighs less, more nimble and fun. Of course it can't compare to FJR for power. I own both and enjoy both every minute.
Bandit 1200 and Bandit 1250, same HP, maybe a few ponies different.

The Bandit1250 from 2007 to now is the same motor and trans and the same hp....I'd imagine the newer BAndits with the full fairing may be a bit slower cuz of the added weight.

I had a 2007 with the Half fairing

What amazes me is how much Suzuki has raised the MSRP on that bike.

MSRP on my 2007 was about $8,000, the new Bandits that they call GSF1250's or something like that are like $11,500, a $3,500 increase for a half more fairing and new instrumentation but essentially the same bike as a 2007!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1999 Bandit was one of the best bikes I've owned. Sold it after I bought the FJR...Too many bikes in the garage. Wow those new prices are shocking. I bought mine new $7000 out the door for last years model. With about $400 of simple mods my B12 had about the same acceleration performance as my 09 FJR. The Bandit was more nimble and fun. The FJR more comfortable and adept for long range camping trips and plenty of power. If I wasn't into long trips, I'd go for the Bandit hands down. Bill

My 1999 Bandit was one of the best bikes I've owned. Sold it after I bought the FJR...Too many bikes in the garage. Wow those new prices are shocking. I bought mine new $7000 out the door for last years model. With about $400 of simple mods my B12 had about the same acceleration performance as my 09 FJR. The Bandit was more nimble and fun. The FJR more comfortable and adept for long range camping trips and plenty of power. If I wasn't into long trips, I'd go for the Bandit hands down. Bill
Bill. Please explain. I don't understand the concept of "Too many bikes."
uhoh.gif

3 years ago, I looked at the Bandits, as I owned a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G before I got the FJR. I looked long and hard at what Suzuki had to offer. I looked at the chain drive, the carburetors, the marginal fairings, the odd ball styling. In the end, I chose the FJR because it had the price and the features I wanted. First and foremost was the incredible antilock brakes. The older Bandits I looked at didn't have them. I'll never own another bike without ABS. Second would be the incredible fairing/windshield. Third would be the driveshaft and fourth the fuel injection. These things are not optional, they are essential for me. I don't want a bike that doesn't have these features. To me, everything Suzuki offers in/near this class is but-ugly compared to the FJR. The FJR is a really gorgeous machine. Icing on the cake: this forum. Its database of helpful articles and how-to's is second to none.

Gary

darksider #44

3 years ago, I looked at the Bandits, as I owned a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G before I got the FJR. I looked long and hard at what Suzuki had to offer. I looked at the chain drive, the carburetors, the marginal fairings, the odd ball styling.
Gary

darksider #44
Actually Gar the Bandit has had EFI since 2007.

Curious, what didn't you like about the styling? I think it looked a lot like a first gen FZ1 and it was mistaken for that a few times from people who commented on it.

Got tears in my eyes seeing the B12 picture...Miss my Bandit so! Most underrated bike of the last 15 years or so.

Bill

My father n law just bought an '08 Bandit. His is black. Very good looking bike, it's a runner too! Not as nice and quick as the FJR but not much is! lol. He loves it so far but he's a Suzuki guy.

Folks write that the Bandit is not as powerful as the FJR. Probably so, but on my 1999 B12 I did the 2 inch hole mod on the air box K&N filter, Holeshot pipe plus Holeshot jet kit, timing advancer. Something like about $400 mods. Rear wheel HP dyno'ed at 115.

Consider that the FJR is about 200 pounds heavier and stock produces around 125 RWHP. I think you can see they are comparable in acceleration with my simple mods. Total cost for my B12 with mods $7400. I'm not dissen' the FJR I love it and it way out classes the B12 for long distance cargo hauling rides. But the humble more lightweight B12 is nimble, more flickable and loads of fun. Short weekend ride I'll choose the B12. Cross country camping trip Florida to Californica I'll choose my FJR. Mainly I'm expressing power/peformance and cornering. The B12 does damn good as a standard with comfortable riding position. However, I am shocked at the huge price increase of the B12 in the last few years. I'm not sure it will be around much longer. It sure was fun when it lasted. Bill

the full fairing Bandit from 2011 up is not different with previous years, just the fairing. I still like the half fairing with its naked style, showing off its beautiful engine! I wonder why Suzuki does not try to raise the Bandit to the same level with FJR, Honda ST1300, etc. with just some more investment in suspension, style, gadget,engine tuning,... Perhaps it keeps it that way to fit budget buyers? I bet lots of consumer out there love the bandit for its price and value and still have bunch of fun. With just the fairing and paying few thousands more, I'm stick with my 09 bandit for many more years.

3 years ago, I looked at the Bandits, as I owned a 91 Suzuki GSX1100G before I got the FJR. I looked long and hard at what Suzuki had to offer. I looked at the chain drive, the carburetors, the marginal fairings, the odd ball styling.
Gary

darksider #44
Actually Gar the Bandit has had EFI since 2007.

Curious, what didn't you like about the styling? I think it looked a lot like a first gen FZ1 and it was mistaken for that a few times from people who commented on it.
Hey SoCal,

EFI: I knew that. But remember that I bought my FJR 3 years ago, and at that point, the 07 was a 3 year old bike and was not in the price range I wanted... yet. The styling: from the rider's vantage point when seated, the front of the gas tank is real narrow. It just looks so odd. I've never been able to get used to it. It just... bothers me. The FJR tank, by comparison, is a work of art. In addition, the styling of the items clustered around the gauges and interior design of the fairing looks like an after-thought. It doesn't have the fit and finish nor the smooth design of the FJR. From the side, again, the tank is butt-ugly. The fairing itself looks like it's tacked on, and doesn't have the smooth integrated design of the FJR. I didn't like the bulbous muffler or it's one sided appearance form the rear... either. I realize a lot of this stuff might be just my opinion. In addition, I didn't like the chain drive or the high mount passenger pegs and sad excuse for a passenger seat. I could go on, but you get my drift. I don't want to sound like I'm dissing the Zookie, but compared to the FJR... for me... it's just not in the same league.

Gary

darksider #44