Spot subscription advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worney

Reaction score
I recieved a new Generation 3 Spot tracker for Christmas and now I need to set up the account. Is there anything I need to know before I do? I believe I only need the basic plan. Is there a way to reduce the annual cost?

Thanks for the help.

-worney

The only thing to remember is that it's good for 12 months so activate it when you can get the most use out of it.

If you find a way to get it for less, let me know. Your family will really like you using it!

The best use of the SPOT for me was to be able to leave a track on an internet page for my family to follow while I was travelling. I used SPOTWALLA, but the SPOT page does about the same thing. The basic plan is enough for that, but you have to remember to push the button every so often in order to get a mark on the track. If you upgrade to the unlimited tracking you can set the SPOT to automatically send a signal at a time interval that you choose so you don't have to press the button every five minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best use of the SPOT for me was to be able to leave a track on an internet page for my family to follow while I was travelling. I used SPOTWALLA, but the SPOT page does about the same thing. The basic plan is enough for that, but you have to remember to push the button every so often in order to get a mark on the track. If you upgrade to the unlimited tracking you can set the SPOT to automatically send a signal at a time interval that you choose so you don't have to press the button every five minutes.
Agree. Too easy to forget to hit the button, and it's not always easy to get your hand to the button to push it--or find it. Also, know that once you subscribe and give them a card number, you're in till you cancel or your card expires. They aren't very customer-service oriented, IMO. I'd like to be able to buy a short-term subscription for the summer, the riding season or a specific trip. Not an option.

Hit the button ? You mean the tracking (footprint) button ?

I've had SPOT for 3 years now (basic plan) and never had to hit the button more than once. Just when I turned it on.

Rogdeb is correct.....turn the spot on then hit the track button and away it goes. I have it plugged into the accessory pocket up on the left side so while I'm riding it is not using up the battery. I frequently leave it on battery power when I'm stopped for the night. If anyone wants to haul my bike away during the night I will know exactly where it is if it's not sitting in front of my motel room when I'm ready to leave the next morning.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1350925" data-time="1482873871"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Geezer" data-cid="1350912" data-time="1482868737"><p>The best use of the SPOT for me was to be able to leave a track on an internet page for my family to follow while I was travelling. I used SPOTWALLA, but the SPOT page does about the same thing. The basic plan is enough for that, but you have to remember to push the button every so often in order to get a mark on the track. If you upgrade to the unlimited tracking you can set the SPOT to automatically send a signal at a time interval that you choose so you don't have to press the button every five minutes. </p></blockquote>

<br />

Agree. Too easy to forget to hit the button, and it's not always easy to get your hand to the button to push it--or find it. Also, know that once you subscribe and give them a card number, you're in till you cancel or your card expires. They aren't very customer-service oriented, IMO. I'd like to be able to buy a short-term subscription for the summer, the riding season or a specific trip. Not an option.</p></blockquote>

I'm confused now... 🤔 I thought that the difference between the basic and next level was the time delay between position reports? If I need to keep hitting a button it isn't very user-friendly... I am happy with every 5 mins or whatever (even better if I can see it on a map after a ride but not a deal breaker) but the button press isn't very appealing. Any other wisdom holders willing to add anything? Or those who already posted able to clarify?

I also thought that I read a post on here about a referral plan from them that got someone something? Not sure if it was the existing plan holder or the new one or both. If it gets someone a perk let me know. I'd rather get someone here a free month or something rather than letting it go.

-worney

I don't think you have to hit the button when you want the SPOT to show a track point. I've been using a 1st Gen SPOT for five years and I didn't have to do that. I got a Gen 3 for Christmas and I just read the instructions and didn't see a requirement to push more then once.

The Gen 3 came with a card that said if I refer a person who buys a device and a service plan, then we both get 20% off the service plan. I'd have to read the card to get the exact terms of the deal.

I am happy with every 5 mins or whatever (even better if I can see it on a map after a ride but not a deal breaker) but the button press isn't very appealing. Any other wisdom holders willing to add anything? Or those who already posted able to clarify?
Have a look at Spotwalla for mapping. Look at your trip afterward or provide a link so people can "follow" you. Works with Spot devices as well as Android app "Bubbler GPS" and iPhone app "SWConnect". Free but a donation to the site is appreciated if you are going to use it. (Note: You still have to pay the Spot subscription but no fee for the Spotwalla service)

www.spotwalla.com

It looks like I mis-read the SPOT documentation. Basic Tracking does automatically send a signal every 10 minutes, for up to 24 hours. This is how SPOT 1 and SOT 2 work, but they added things for SPOT 3. The differences between Basic and unlimited is that with unlimited you can set the frequency of signals to something other than 10 minutes, and the device automatically starts sending when you are moving, so you don't have to restart it every day.

So, with that understanding, it looks like Basic does what most people want.

Not counting the device cost, what's the total startup cost? All incidentals and the first year basic subscription?

I'm on the fence. I have zero issues running nav/weather on iPhone. But for some reason I just can't make myself consistently use SWConnect. I'm about to give someone a referral....

Looks like $165. I ordered a gen III. If I can save someone, or both of us 20 percent when I activate next week, send me a PM.

Thanks for all the replies. That's how I read the instructions but then you start reading and then second guessing, you know the drill.

I don't think you have to hit the button when you want the SPOT to show a track point. I've been using a 1st Gen SPOT for five years and I didn't have to do that. I got a Gen 3 for Christmas and I just read the instructions and didn't see a requirement to push more then once.

The Gen 3 came with a card that said if I refer a person who buys a device and a service plan, then we both get 20% off the service plan. I'd have to read the card to get the exact terms of the deal.
Pterodactyl - I'm in if you are. I'm heading out to the ski hill (no cell coverage) soon and the wife is looking forward to knowing that I got there safe and when I am heading home.

-worney

Mine arrives Friday. I don't think anyone cares if I come home safe or not, or at least they don't worry when I'm gone. But I like the idea that I'll be easier to find if I do disappear. I mentioned elsewhere- I ordered dogtags with my name, blood type, and two ICE contact numbers, and my insurance info (it matters). Vendor emailed me and told me the (last) insurance line had too many characters. Two more emails and two abbreviations, and it was still too long. I had other stuff to do so I emailed "make last line read "JACK DANIELS". Tags arrived two days later.

Spot referral page is here: https://www.findmespot.com/referral/. I need to know which of you referred me so we both can save 20%. It asks for my friend's account name and SPOT ESN.

Credit is not instant. The discount is applied to the next annual re-up for the referrer. It does not apply to the new (referred) member plan. They pay full price for the first year, the credit/discount is applied to a subsequent year.

This is is how the referral works. The person offering the referral registers their GEN3 SPOT per the instructions provided in the box the device came in. The SPOT people will then send an email to that person that can be forwarded to others he wishes to refer. Those people follow a link in the email to register and become eligible for the 20% credit. The credit is applied on the first renewal, not the initial registration. One person can refer up to 20 others. The credit is good for the cost of service not the device. You must have a GEN3 at the time you register the referral. One year of basic service costs $149.99.

I just registered my device and received the email. I will forward the email to a person who PM'd me earlier. We'll see how it works.

I'm registering today. I do not have a referrer as of yet. Someone needs to step up and be an enabler.... :)

I'm registering today. I do not have a referrer as of yet. Someone needs to step up and be an enabler....
smile.png
PM me your email address.

I was surprised at how small it is. Tiny. I was not charged tax (or an activation fee), but that might be state specific.