stallling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormin

Reaction score
Have a 2011 fjr that often will stall coming to a stop. Restarts and is good to go. Happens quite often, cold or hot.

Try raising the idle to about 1100 RPMs. Should help.

If not, a TBS may reveal a "weak" cylinder.

increase idle to 1100 minimum. Mine did the same thing, hot or cold, at a stop. My idle was about 1000.

Thank you for the replies. I am so glad I asked as it makes sense now due to what a dealership did to the battery recently. He installed a device that measures acceleration, speed etc for the government insurance and it started doing it to the day after that, It was a connection done to the battery. As well I will also check the idle speed. Thank you as a stall can be extremely dangerous, especially if you are in a slow tight turn with lots of lean on the bike. Dont ask me how I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, in case we failed to mention it, welcome aboard Stormin. I noticed yer from Saskatchewan. The stalling might be from running into snow drifts? Park the thing till... uh... whenever spring arrives up there, say late May when the snow melts. That should cure it for ya.

Seriously though, good luck with that idle issue.

Gary

darksider #44

....Installed a government device to measure acceleration, speed etc. and that's ok with you?

You Canadians put up with a lot of crap just for free healthcare
smile.png

If that happened down here, I might well stop riding before I end up in jail.

....Installed a government device to measure acceleration, speed etc. and that's ok with you?...
...If that happened down here, I might well stop riding before I end up in jail.
Some US insurance companies are offering discounts if you voluntarily let them measure these things, also including frequency of braking and how hard you brake.

Most new cars can already keep track of these things and some 'services' that car companies offer will let them download this information automatically.

Are you saying that you knowingly disobey many traffic laws? That's ok, almost all FJRiders seem t do that too.

....Installed a government device to measure acceleration, speed etc. and that's ok with you?
smile.png
We have a winner! I predicted <2 hours. I was sweating it, but you pulled through by going spastic at the 1 hour, 51 minutes mark...clear through to politics not at all related to motorcycles. Congrats. :)

Reminder folks, keep it about FJRs or at least motorcycles. Bonus points for whoever can actually Google and link this experimental program. (I did by the way....it gives me the creeps....but I do understand the idea behind it)

smile.png
We have a winner! I predicted <2 hours. I was sweating it, but you pulled through by going spastic at the 1 hour, 51 minutes mark...clear through to politics not at all related to motorcycles. Congrats.
smile.png

Reminder folks, keep it about FJRs or at least motorcycles. Bonus points for whoever can actually Google and link this experimental program. (I did by the way....it gives me the creeps....but I do understand the idea behind it)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sgi-wants-to-track-motorcycle-movements-with-technology-1.1397870

....Installed a government device to measure acceleration, speed etc. and that's ok with you?...
...If that happened down here, I might well stop riding before I end up in jail.
Some US insurance companies are offering discounts if you voluntarily let them measure these things, also including frequency of braking and how hard you brake.

Most new cars can already keep track of these things and some 'services' that car companies offer will let them download this information automatically.

Are you saying that you knowingly disobey many traffic laws? That's ok, almost all FJRiders seem t do that too.
No discount is worth installing that!

Bonus points for whoever can actually Google and link this experimental program. (I did by the way....it gives me the creeps....but I do understand the idea behind it)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sgi-wants-to-track-motorcycle-movements-with-technology-1.1397870
A41Billy receives two Croix-d-Egnatius! I found a very similar article, but his is better as it has a poll we can vote.

BTW, for the OP I like the battery connection the best and easiest to check first.

Hasn't anyone seen the progresive commercials?

They are pushing that little black box under your dash. If you drive like Grandma moses you may save a little money on your insurance. In my case it would be the exact opposite. My insurance would most likely double.

No Thanks, I have enough black boxes in my life.

Dave

They are pushing that little black box under your dash. If you drive like Grandma moses you may save a little money on your insurance. In my case it would be the exact opposite. My insurance would most likely double.

Dave
I would expect that some clever and enterprising folks would figure out how to feed that little black box exactly the info you want it to store, than you could turn the tables on these Big Brother assholes pushing this kind of pervasive tech onto the population.

I would never, subject to this kind of invasion of my privacy and freedom, no matter what the discounts, unless of course I had a way of feeding that spy-box the "model" data as suggested above.

Dave
I would expect that some clever and enterprising folks would figure out how to feed that little black box exactly the info you want it to store, than you could turn the tables on these Big Brother assholes pushing this kind of pervasive tech onto the population.

I would never, subject to this kind of invasion of my privacy and freedom, no matter what the discounts, unless of course I had a way of feeding that spy-box the "model" data as suggested above.
About 96% of cars and light trucks currently on the road have them.

Starting next year, required on all new cars.

FWIW, Progressive merely copies the data from your "black box".

Dave

About 96% of cars and light trucks currently on the road have them.

Starting next year, required on all new cars.

FWIW, Progressive merely copies the data from your "black box".
Sure, they do, just like the NSA is eavesdropping to your phone calls and reading your emails is for your safety. All this stuff is being collected to be used against you at the first available opportunity (if not before), remember the movie Minority Report.

If my new car/bike came equipped with this kind of spy-box, I suspect that this would be the first thing that would mysteriously break on my new ride.

That's not true. Many of the "black boxes" in cars are HEAVILY protected by their marque. Getting data from a Ford vehicle is a PITA, even with a warrant. Most of them track speed, seatbelt use etc. They don't store the data unless the airbags go off or some other event makes it think the vehicle was in a crash. They usually only store something like the 2 minute window before the crash. That helps them and us determine things like speed, when brakes were applied, seat belt use, lights, etc. Their intended purpose is NOT big brother antics... Progressive's is. Watch their commercial. They praise a driver for "driving one under the speed limit."

I would think all the insurance companies can get is OBD-II generic data. The stuff from the engine computer that is the same between all cars.

Speed, Acell pedal angle, brake on or off. and it would have its own gps and transmitter.

Latest posts