stallling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads up... there was a warning about drifting into political discussions and away from FJR stuff. (Up there ^ )

Let's not end up with a locked thread.

That's not true. Many of the "black boxes" in cars are HEAVILY protected by their marque. Getting data from a Ford vehicle is a PITA, even with a warrant. Most of them track speed, seatbelt use etc. They don't store the data unless the airbags go off or some other event makes it think the vehicle was in a crash. They usually only store something like the 2 minute window before the crash. That helps them and us determine things like speed, when brakes were applied, seat belt use, lights, etc. Their intended purpose is NOT big brother antics... Progressive's is. Watch their commercial. They praise a driver for "driving one under the speed limit."
And all this time I thought you measured skid marks and took out your TI-35 and caculated this information.

*snip*And all this time I thought you measured skid marks
I got to thinkin about that the other day.

I reckon with all the ABS on everything that part of the report is no longer even thought about?

Jus wonderin....

Oh, and to stay on topic. set yer idle up to where it don't stall no more.

*snip*

And all this time I thought you measured skid marks
...I reckon with all the ABS on everything that part of the report is no longer even thought about? Jus wonderin....
I went through the Massachusetts EVOC program and one of my first questions about accident scene analysis was skid marks vs ABS. In heavy, ABS-assisted braking, an ABS equipped vehicle will leave faint, short lived marks on the pavement. Depending on the type of pavement on some roads it may be harder to see. ABS equipped vehicles do leave tire marks during heavy braking. A properly functioning ABS equipped vehicle will lock and release the tires during heavy braking but there is a difference between a slipping tire and a skidding tire. ABS marks are best viewed at a distance, at an angle in the direction of travel of the vehicle.

The State Trooper running the show said that they looked at a lot of ways to see tire marks such as fluorescence, polarized lighting, chemical and infrared imaging. Only low angle polarized lighting worked well on faint tire marks.

I am almost sure it will be the battery connection. And, someone in post #6 seems to know the winter weather in Saskatchewan. But no it was not the snowbanks that was causing the stalling. But you are dead on about when we can restart our driving, it is May. So I cannot road test in any way shape or form until this severe weather is behind us. Thanks again for the help offered.

I am almost sure it will be the battery connection. And, someone in post #6 seems to know the winter weather in Saskatchewan. But no it was not the snowbanks that was causing the stalling. But you are dead on about when we can restart our driving, it is May. So I cannot road test in any way shape or form until this severe weather is behind us. Thanks again for the help offered.
No, that can't be it.

Now, if the State Trooper running the show said that they looked at a lot of ways to see tire marks such as fluorescence, polarized lighting, chemical and infrared imaging, and only low angle polarized lighting worked well on faint tire marks, and all they have is a dad gum calibrated wheel in their trunk at the time, who is right?

Hey Stormin, got any photos of this device?
Notice you are from BC. What part of the OK, N or S?

I do not have a picture of the device but is extremely small. It came about as the government insurance was about to greatly increase insurance on motorcycles. Due to the backlash a Quebec firm that uses this device to measure speed, braking, and acceleration on cars was enlisted. A voluntary enlistment was made to bikers to determine driving habits of various age groups and types of motorcycles (for a small fee). A weekly report back to the user is given in the assumption that while gathering the required information it might also influence the driver to see if they can improve their reports. A halo type effect (and in fact in my case that is how it worked). It does not stop you from driving aggressively as their is no feedback to police. It is strictly a tool to ultimately determine insurance rates for various motorcycles. This coming year is the second and last year of evaluation.

Hope this is of some help in the understanding of this unusual occurrence.