Stator Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeroux

Reaction score
Careful work, not brain surgery, and you too can have a better stator.

Think you can be a Long Distance player with a stock Stator? Think again.

Crispy_GZ_stator900.jpg

See the dark color? The blackened charring? That ain't BBQ sauce folks, thats a near deceased stator in 20-50 oil. Not good.

So perhaps you bought one of the excellent Electrosport replacement stators. The following article will help you install a new stator and enjoy the benefits that ample power can bring. Big thanks to Warchild for showing me the ropes on this one.

DSCN3524.sized.jpg

Tools:

wire cutter/ stripper

Male/ Female .250 spade terminals ( not shown )

shrinkwrap/ solder/ etc

gasket remover

Impact wrench with #3 Phillips head

5mm Allen socket

T30 Torx socket

#3 Phillips screwdriver

X-acto knife or razor

Blue Loctite/ threadlocker

Pages 341 and 342 of the service manual may prove helpful as well.

Start this job by removing the left side dash panels, and the cowling as well. Just underneath the radiator fill cap find the regulator/ rectifier, and the grey connector with three white wires running into it.

DSCN3510.JPG

You needn't disconnect this connector, as long as you took the ground off the battery. The 3 white wires you see here are headed down into the stator. Follow this wire down into the engine area, and find where it exits towards the stator connection. Stock, these 3 white wires run from connector to stator in one continuous shot. We will be cutting into this bundle and connecting the new stator wires into this bundle. We do this to continue enjoying the benefits of this stout and water-proof connector. Let us now consider WHERE we will cut into this stock bundle.

I basically cut into the stock bundle just outside the point where the stock bundle ( of 3 white wires ) exits the stator, making the cut to the right of the wire holder and the top stator cover bolt. From above the engine, pull this end up past the frame so you can attach male spade connectors. If you're doing this job, I assume you know how to wire properly. But for grins, lets go over the whole drill.

Strip and crimp a male spade to the stock stator wire coming from the grey connector. Solder this connection lightly, then shrink wrap the wire/ crimp connection. Also solder the female spade crimp that came with the stator. Insert male spade into female spade, then run another piece of shrink wrap OVER THE ENTIRE CONNECTION. You know have a tight spade connection backed up by the shrink. If this connector comes apart in use I'll eat my bike. Do this 3 times, and do it AFTER you have the new stator installed. Duh.

Ensure that you can get the loom back on OVER all these connections. Think ahead with this and you'll be fine.

With the 5mm allen socket, remove all the bolts from the stator cover. Note the location and orientation of the two wire brackets, and also note that the bottom bolt is shorter then the rest. With bolts removed, gently pull stator cover straight away from the bike. Be prepared to catch dripping oil with a stock pot or similar.

DSCN3505.JPG

Since the stator is magnetic, you need to apply gentle but firm force to the cover. You'll be trying to overcome magnetic force. I used a stock pot with a stiff board covered by soft plastic from a storage container. This allowed me to break the Tork screws and single phillips screw with the stator still wired to the bike, because in this picture I'm only replacing the gasket, having already installed the new stator. You will need an impact wrench to break the phillips. Trust me, you need an impact wrench for this screw. You probably have already cut the wires on your bike so you can break these screws away from the bike.

DSCN3506.JPG

You can see the three T30 Torx screws holding the stator down to the cover, and the #3 phillips screw holding the wire protector just left of 12 o'clock. With the impact wrench, CAREFULLY loosen then remove this screw. The three Torx screws should come out with some force but no drama. Keep your socket handle straight above and axially aligned with the screws, you should have no problems. With the old stator removed, casually spray carb or brake cleaner inside the cover and remove most of the oil and gunk. Then spray the gasket remover liberally all over the old gasket. On either low or high mileage bikes, this gasket seems to be welded to all covers. It's a real bitch to remove, but you want to do a REALLY good job and get every last remnant of gasket off the cover and mating surface on the engine.

After letting the remover sit 5-10 minutes, CAREFULLY use a razor or X-acto to remove gasket material, being careful not to gouge or knick the aluminum. Repeat this process as necessary to attain a smooth mating surface for the new gasket. Be patient, do good work.

After cleaning the mating surfaces, be sure to FLOOD and ADEQUATELY flush any remnant of gook gump or splooge this clean-up process has entailed. I personally went through 3 cans of brake cleaner. ENSURE you are working into a TOTALLY clean stator cover.

Install the new stator, using blue Loctite on both the Torx and #3 phillips. 7.2 lbs of torque on the Torx, snug to semi-tight on the phillips. The spec calls for 4.3 lbs, but I don't trust my Sears wrench that low. Apply red Hi-Temp ( 650˚ ) RTV silicone to the ribbed rubber connector that helps to seal the wires from the stator.

Place the dowel pins into the engine block and hang the new gasket off them in place. Carefully slide the stator cover with silicone'd wire cover into place, being careful not to pinch external wires or gasket.

Put shorter bolt into lowest hole, then insert the rest of the bolts and wire brackets. Torque to 103 inch pounds and LEAVE ALONE until 12 hours or more have passed. THEN start bike and check for leaks. You need to allow the silicone a chance to set-up ( un-cured silicone absorbs oil, weakening any bond ) before letting heat build up from normal use. While you wait for the silicone to cure, re-attach the wires and stow neatly inside the engine compartment. The 3 white wires are not circuit or phase-dependant, so just get the wires attached to the stock bundle and be done with it.

After silicone has cured, start the bike and allow it to reach 4 bars of temperature. Check for leaks. All being well, you can now enjoy roughly 80-90 watts EXTRA power for whatever heated clothing or farkles your heart desires.

NOTE: Do good work. Be patient. Some of these procedures are tedious at best. Take a deep breath and really strive to do excellent work. You won't regret it.

Good luck,

George Zelenz

3-15-2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write-up!!!! I'm sure this will be a candidate for FJRTech.com.

And great job resizing those pictures. You have that professionally done? (inside joke, I helped George get the pictures going)

Nice write-up, but I am a visual kind of guy. Got any photos of the electric wiring modifications you were doing? I am having trouble picturing exactly what you describe.

Very nice write-up George, thanks for taking the time to do it.

As usuall, I have a couple of questions:

1. The 3 x screws holding the stator in are torqued to 7.2 lbft (w/locktite) - why are they so hard to remove (I don't have an impact wrench) - do they install them with the tougher loctite?

2. Guess I only had the one question - and that's just out of curiosity!

Thanks again for a nice job.

Since the plastic has to come off, I'm going to take this opportunity to change the stator, install new horns, and what the heck, flush coolant again. Now if the stator would only arrive...

Nice write up, G. Too bad this one is a no-no for the Nutster. If I even thought about mooching the SO's stock pot, I'd be toast, er, soup stock!

:lol:

First off, thanks MUCHO to Iggy for making these pictures possible. Thanks Matt!

OK, Skoot, dig the pic below. These are VERY standard male/ female .250 wide spade plugs. Crimp and play, although I also soldered them for total sano.

You'll CUT into the stock stator bundle of 3 white wires and add these terminals, then add the mating terminals to the wire bundle on the new stator. Shrinkwrap EACH individual white wire, then replace the stock loom. You can make these connections anywhere along the loom. This makes for a repairable connection, although a bear to get to. With this new stator, you really shouldn't ever need to replace it again, unless it breaks somehow, like, in a crash or something.

OK, thats my last crash dig, really.

DSCN3515.JPG

JimLor, the Torx are factory set by the same gorilla that puts lots of stuff on WAYYYYYYY too tight. It's also awkward removing them because the cover is shaped funny and not the most conducive shape for wrenching. Use gentle force, and keep GOOD contact between the bit and the screw head.

Nut, I frankly used the stock pot because it was near and I had a dripping cover in my hands and could hook the pot with my foot. I actually now consider it quite the tool. Catchs oil, provides a bike-side mini bench, etc.

Thanks again to Warchild for showing me the tips and tricks, and to Iggy for making it happen visually!

GZ

OK I must really be missing something here! When I did my installation last year I didn't have to cut any wires or crimp jack shit. The stator already came with the female spade clip crimped, and shrink wrapped. All I had to do was take the three wires and connect them to the rectifier.

If you did it because you didn't want to fish the wire through the engine bay, all I did was tie some thin rope to the plug that connects to the rectifier on the OEM stator and pull it though as a fish line. When you install the new stator, use the rope to pull the new wires back up.

Just my two cents but....

You mentioned doing it for maintenance in the future, but how often do you really plan on pulling the stator cover anyway? Also, your now adding another point of failure with another crimp. Now this could come loose as well and cause havoc in the future.

You mentioned doing it for maintenance in the future, but how often do you really plan on pulling the stator cover anyway? Also, your now adding another point of failure with another crimp. Now this could come loose as well and cause havoc in the future.
How did you wire the New Stator wires into the rectifier plug? Do you have the right extraction tool and new terminals for the connector?

My (new) electrical work is Mil-Spec and impeccable ( if i do say so myself ), and Warchild told me to do it.<G>

I'm not worried in the least about this connection failing. It's bomb-proof.

GZ

Well, thanks for the photo of those spade connectors George, but you know I am familiar with what they look like. What I am NOT familiar with is the wiring from the stator to the R/R. A photo of that wiring, with your new mods would have been oh so helpful.

Perhaps next time. ;)

What I am NOT familiar with is the wiring from the stator to the R/R. A photo of that wiring, with your new mods would have been oh so helpful.
You mean the 3 wires in the 3rd photo?<G>

OK, this is so simple I didn't think it needed explanation. I've been proven wrong.

LOOK at the connection at the R/R, FOLLOW the loom down and into the engine bay, EXITING at the stator.

Thats how the wires are run.

I can take a pic if you want, but seeing that you have TWO bikes in your shop for verification I think I'll pass. :rolleyes:

GZ

How did you wire the New Stator wires into the rectifier plug? Do you have the right extraction tool and new terminals for the connector?GZ
The recitifer plug on the OEM stator is just a giant plastic encasing for three female spade connectors. I just took the 3 wires from the new stator and plugged them in directly to the rectifier.

I've got part of my bike torn apart doing some other electrical work so I'll try to snap a picture tonight. (just for you Skooter)

Before I forget, I want to add that this really isnt that technical guys. Its really just a matter of pulling one part, installing new part in reverse order. You don't need to know anything about electronics, or how rectifiers work.

I just thought I might add a little insight to this situation. Nice pic's by the way. I have been replacing stators for 35 years and have noted that the stress that the regulator has gone through during the demise of the stator in many cases will cause the regulator to possibly fail soon. In other words , if you replace the stator , it is wise to replace the regulator. If you don't the next time you replace the stator which maybe sooner than you think you will also have to replace the regulator. This is not specific to the fjr at all , I have noted this in BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley, Ducati, Motoguzzi, yamaha Suzuki, ETC. You can only perform simple resistance and diode checks on the regulator. I know ;the regulator is expensive, but a secound stator is more expensive. Any way good luck and nice job with those pic's.

I have been replacing stators for 35 years and have noted that the stress that the regulator has gone through during the demise of the stator in many cases will cause the regulator to possibly fail soon. In other words , if you replace the stator , it is wise to replace the regulator.
I agree that it would be a good idea to replace the rectifier if your stator failed. Most of us are doing this prior to the stator failing, and are doing this to hopefully prevent the stator from failing due to adding alot of electrical farkles. Would you think it would be nessisary in this situation? I've got about 20k on my new stator and my system seems to be doing fine, but I certainly don't want to be stranded because my rectifier goes AWOL.

Yowza yowza yowza.

Seems VecterVP1 is correct. I haven't verified yet for myself, but apparently the female spade connectors that come already crimped onto the new stator harness plug straight into the grey connector at the R/R. I never knew this, just did what I was told.

I didn't cut the stator harness, so I could easily remove the extra wire and plug the spades into the R/R.

BTW, fishing the wire wasn't hard at all. I didn't use a rope or anything else.

THANKS to Vecter for setting me straight. Article will change shortly to reflect that.

GZ

Yeah - thanks vectorpv1. I was just writing up my shopping list and adding additional connectors, etc. I agree with you that unless you absolutely have to, adding more points of failure isn't a good idea.

Not meant to be a pile on, but I read the manual on this the other night. Said the when removing the cover, loosen each bolt 1/4 turn (in opposing pattern) and when they're all loose go ahead and take 'em out. Tighten in teh same opposing pattern.

Oops.

Turns out Vecter is sorta on the cheesy side here.

He REMOVED completely the movable part of the connector and simply plugged his female spades into the fixed part of the connector.

In doing so, he bypassed the heavy duty water-proof protection afforded by this fitting. Not good.

I'm sure he'll rectify this problem in decent fashion, but I still stand by the article and its methods.

I will be adding a bit on the wiring, as a feel I could make that part more lucid without it becoming an electrical treatise.

GZ

Yeah, after talking to Beeroux about this a bit, I see where this should be waterproofed. I'm not as concered about it as he is, but I see where he's coming from. I think that waterproofing the connection point between the stator wires and the rectifier with a silicone sealant is probably in order. What the hell, I've already got the bike apart doing work on it!

This is a great write up.

I hope my stator last for a while. I just got finished adding some more things to my bike and now I want to ride :yahoo:

Once again, GOOD JOB and thanks for the detail.....excellent!!!!