Steering Damper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I am fully aware that this bike does not need a steering damper but I need one for a future project.  Any suggestions on where to find one that will simply bolt up without having to cut or modify things?

Canadian FJR

Never needed one for the FJR so, even though the subject has come up on occasion, it's usually shot down in the FJR forums because an FJR needing one is more a sign of a maintenance/R&R issue.

Maybe going to a forum that specializes in the bike you're going to use it with?

I’m afraid asking that question here will get

you more opinions than answers. 

Google “motorcycle steering dampers” and

you’ll find more info than you can handle. 

Never needed one for the FJR so, even though the subject has come up on occasion, it's usually shot down in the FJR forums because an FJR needing one is more a sign of a maintenance/R&R issue.

Maybe going to a forum that specializes in the bike you're going to use it with?
It's the rules at some sanctioned drag strips, plus at https://www.loringtiming.com/

So it is not a "need" question or a bike.  It's a question specific to this forum.

I'm with Bounce on that issue.  And think sullivan is on the right track, but not quite spot on.  The question doesn't belong on this forum.  It's not a FJR question at all.  THAT is the mistake of the OP.  No FJR needs a steering damper, thus no bolt on options exist.  Product follows demand.  No demand, no products.

The question belongs on a forum specific to the application that the OP wants it for.  Drag racing, Side cars, Moon landings, what ever.

Contact these folks and talk to them about your needs w/o hiding what you are actually going to be doing with the bike.

https://www.ktechsuspensionusa.com/  

https://www.scottsonline.com/index.php

No FJR needs a steering damper, thus no bolt on options exist.  Product follows demand.  No demand, no products.
Any suggestions on where to find one that will simply bolt up without having to cut or modify things?
And that's consistent with the 170 hits one finds easily by entering +steering +damper in the search.  I didn't read through them all, but suggest the OP try the search and read them to ensure there wasn't a bolt-on product covered in what is now 15 years of history on this forum.

And that's consistent with the 170 hits one finds easily by entering +steering +damper in the search.  I didn't read through them all, but suggest the OP try the search and read them to ensure there wasn't a bolt-on product covered in what is now 15 years of history on this forum.
I read thru quite a few.  End result was dominantly replacement of steering head bearings, re-grease/re-lube steering head bearings & TIRE issues.  I did not see one post where someone actually installed one.  That said, I vaguely recall sometime back around 2006 that someone did, but it was not a bolt on affair.  Thus my links above.

The bike tops out at 155 mph, give or take.  Not sure if the Gen III has a tad more top end or not.  So unless it's a side car application, it would seem to indicate a requirement.  Just an observation;  It would be cheaper and more effective to buy a clapped out R1 than to try and turn a FJR into a drag bike. 😉