Still alive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear from you. I hope you get through this OK.

I remember the last time my community lost power for an extended period. The temperatures were hovering just above freezing. I heat with wood so my house was warm, but we drove out far enough to find a restaurant that was open one evening and on the way in we overheard a family on their way out say that they were going back to their cold house. It made me realize that things could always be worse. It also made me shop for a generator later in the year after prices returned to normal. These days if the power goes out for more than a few minutes I fire up the generator and keep the lights on, the well pumping, and the beer cold.

Slept in my bedroom or a real bed for the first time last night since this started. About 20 hours since restoration. The inconveniences of being only partly ready is nothing compared to many who weren't ready at all. Hint: Kerosene heaters don't work without kerosene. 2000w gas generators work well for an LED light and a few other things but try to run a small electric space heater and that's ALL it can do.

Anyone have experience with multi-fuel inverter generators in the 7500w range? Brands recommended? My little Wen was great during all this but not fully up to the challenge.

I shoulda bought a bunch of Generac stock a year ago.  Just saw an interview with their CEO, yesterday I think, who was talking about the very high demand for their products, especially residential units.  The backlog he said was several months, so much so that they're now building another plant in South Carolina.  That doesn't however do anything to address the backlog in the trades to do the installs.

I think you're looking at portables but my point is with generators being so popular at the moment it might not be a bad idea to let things die down for awhile.  My house is all set up for a unit, almost plug & play if you will, but I moved it down on the to-do list for a bit.

No fun going without power! We live on a dead end and during the last big wind storm a couple of months back we were with out power and internet for close to five days. Like Geezer we have a little 3500 Honda Genset that keeps the two Fridges and the freezer going. I heated with wood or 45 years and when I built the carriage house we now live in I put in boiler and floor heat for both the garage and living space so we stay warm.

I've been reading a bit about what is going on in your neck of the wood and it is truly sad to hear some of the stories. Hope this ends soon for you folks down there.

I'm asking the same question about Firman dual fuel sold at Costco, the price is right for something that isn't used that much. My little 3500 will trip the breaker when all three of the reffer compressor's at the same time so a little bigger would be better. When I built the place I put a propane stub at the Genset/Compressor slab?? 

Glad you are OK. I hope you didn't have any pipes freeze. That's the biggest problem where I live when the power goes out in the winter.

Regarding dual fuel generators, I assume you are thinking about gasoline/propane. I don't have one, but they are very popular because people who use propane for heat of cooking usually have a supply ready to go, and propane does not go bad if it sits for a long time like gasoline does.

My generator is a Generac GP8000E, 8000watt. that runs on gasoline only. It runs two refrigerators and a freezer, lights, my 220V well pump and my oil fired boiler or wood stove distribution fan. I doubt all of those things ever run at the same time. I would not run anything with an electric heating coil, like the oven or clothes dryer with it. It may be OK for a small electric heater. The rated watts is usually running at full power and it isn't designed to run at full power for extended periods of time. Also, if you get the dual fuel model, the power is reduced when running on propane. It is also very loud, so I put it as far from the house as I can when I use it. I have a 50 foot cable. If your have neighbors nearby they will notice it.

If I wanted to spend the extra money I would have gotten a diesel powered generator because I have a large supply of heating oil on hand.

Inverters are a lot more expensive and I don't think you need that for occasional use.

We lived in the country in the mid-80s and our power was the REC (Rural Electric Co-Op). Big ice storm around xmas., So heavy trees were bent over and Blackjack Oaks were breaking under the load. How was so quiet at night, I would listen to them snapping outside in the dark.

Total electric and on well water, so no power meant no NOTHING.  It lasted for 3 weeks. My wife and kids went to her parents but I had to work so stayed home (also to not leave the house abandoned like this time). THAT time I had plenty of kerosene and the same 18.500 heater I still have. I also had a service station about 3 miles away that sold kerosene from a pump. This time I didn't think enough ahead so had none, and none of the 6 places I could find online as having some even knew what it was when I asked. "Not gas. Not diesel, Kerosene", was met with, "What?"

My little 2000w Wen intverter generator was great but not up to the task of support lighting AND a space heater.

I'm researching multi-fuel, small-frame generators because I don't think I have the space in our small back yard for one, it's house, and it's propane tank. Something in the 7500w range I'm thinking. Recommendations on durable brands is always welcome.

Then was worse, but I fared better simply because I was better prepared before. I was into day 2 of the outage and it was 1º outside before I even remembered the k-1 heater.

Gov acted quickly in declaring a state of emergency and asking the fed for help (unlike some other govs who complained about the lack of help without first formally requesting it). Once the EO pens ran out of ink, the fed responded with announcements of generators being deployed with fed personnel. It deep freeze was nearly over and Oncor (infrastructure company) has reduces the outage from about 3 million affected to a few 100 thousand by the time we heard the announcement of fed help being sent. With today being in the 40s and a low that's higher than the high of the past week, and tomorrow being in the 50s and climbing, the need for generators is nearly over.

It's the post-2011 Superbowl fiasco legislation at the root of the problem. They implemented a "winterize" recommendation but didn't make it a requirement. Typically construction builds to an 8" freeze line. To winterize NG lines could mean having to relay them to 16" or lower. New construction is only affected a little but retrofitting existing runs would be very costly.

Question for those who know: About how big a footprint would a Generac (or like) plus it's little Rubermade shed and fuel tank take up?

Good to read the worst is over. We heat exclusively with wood, and I have a good supply, even dead trees on the property should it come to that. Two Yamaha generators, parallel, mean I can run the fridge/freezer, watch TV and post up incredible knowledge to FjrForum. :)   5,000 gallon water tank which I manually trip the float when weather is predicted. Hot tub holds hot water for at least 4 days if lid remains closed, small 12 vdc pump for outside 'showers'. And, if things get really bad, camper has heater, water, food, ice cubes, and a nice warm bed. I have empathy for city folk who are 4 degrees removed from survival when the shit hits the fan.

Are you asking about a permanent installation of a propane powered Generac that will switch on automatically when the power goes out, the ones which are normally installed on a concrete slab? Does this help: Installation Instructions

On the house remodel we popped for a 20kw Nat Gas generac, even though we didn’t have too many power outages. But in the last 3 years they’ve been more regular and last 2-3 days sometimes. The last storm, it was awesome being able to run most of the house and have a furnace and TV as well as all the fridges. The time to prepare is definitely when you don’t need to.

Our neighborhood doesn't have NG, so a propane tank like at Gramps' farm is in order (or big 55 gallon drum of diesel).
It is common in my area for people to switch from fuel oil to propane for heat so they can take advantage of the modern high efficiency boilers. Rather than install a large propane tank they generally get several 100 gallon tanks. They call the 'snowman' tanks. They are heavy enough that fuel has to be delivered. Otherwise you can get smaller 100 lb tanks. That's what I have since I only use propane for cooking. I can take my 100 lb tanks to the store and get it filled. It is less expensive that way.

Regarding the choice between propane or diesel, unless you already have fuel oil at the house for heat or something, I recommend the propane generator. Propane can sit in the tank for many years and it burns clean so the generator requires little or no maintenance.

100 lb tanks are not good for generators as most generators burn more than a gallon of product per hour. Some over four gallons. A 100 lb tank has about 24 gallons at full. The snowmen (pigs) as we call them in Maine, are 120 gallons but only fill to 100 gallons due to the expansion/contraction. A usual generator set requires two pigs here in the north because the liquid propane needs to boil off and in colder temps it requires lots of tank surface area to boil off the liquid. In sub-zero temps tanks will literally freeze up with a coat of ice when the product gets low. My dad had a 500 gallon tank that supplied his boiler and generator. The smaller tanks can be next to the residence, though, 10' from a source of ignition. A 500 gallon tank needs to be at least 25' from the residence. Fun facts from an old propane tech. 

I understand that. Here's the challenge. Total electric house. No NG to the neighborhood.

1. Small yards with narrow side access. How small? I can reach over to the neighbor's roof to help push myself up on top of mine when using a short ladder.

2. Temporary generator (up to about, say, 8000w).

3. Capacity to avoid the situation last time where the 2000 watt Wen needed refilling about every 4-6 hours (load dependent).

4. Light enough tanks to haul in for a refill since getting someone out to refill would be problematic (again, small yards with narrow access).

6. Smallish footprint for generator AND fuel tank to not consume usable space when not in use.

What I was considering was a couple of 100lb tanks to back fill one while the other was in use. A couple of 20lb tanks for the camp stove and misc. And a couple 40lb for the space heater. The smaller tanks could back-fill on the the others if needed.

It looks like Padre knows more about it than I do. Around here propane delivery trucks normally have fairly long hoses so they might be able to fill the snowman (pig) tanks, that is if they can get them through the space between the houses in the first place. You can usually contact the supplier and have them tell you what they can do for you. Typically, they supply the tanks and regulator.

For my 100 lb tanks, I use a regulator that connects to two tanks at the same time and automatically switches to the reserve tank when the first one is empty. It has a red indicator for the empty tank and I can remove the empty tank without interrupting the gas from the tank that is being used. I have a spare tank as well, for a total of three 100 lb tanks so I can switch in a full one immediately when I notice that one is empty. The empty 100 lb tanks sell for about $100 at building supply places. As I said earlier, I only use propane for the cooktop and don't use a lot of gas.