stuck clutch on a TW200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorToad

Reaction score
%5BDual%20Scroller%5D%20%5Bmp%5D%20Why%20stuff%20breaks%20%5Bcc%5D.jpg

So a friend has this TW200, right. He says it's fine other than the clutch won't disengage. "Great," I say, "bring it over, I'll fix it and we can go ride!" So after a week or so he drags it over and I'm hoping the clutch thing's going to be really simple, like a cable, adjustment, or at worst I'll have to put it in 4th and break it free with the kickstarter. Well, no. Yamaha had the wisdom to hold the covers on with fucking goddamn phillips head screws. Even though this is a rusted 20-yo dirt bike, I got 9-10 of them loose before one stripped (yeah, I'm cool like that). I chiseled that one loose and got to the clutch. Speaking of chisels, I had to chisel the plates apart. FACK!

So after I get a case gasket I'll do a couple quick oil changes to flush it and there's a slight chance this fucker might run. I'm not expecting it to do very well, though.

On the subject of phillips head screws, the fucking CASE HALVES are held together with phillips. If I have to go that deep into the engine it's going to be with a 6 lb. hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing looked that bad internally, other than the corrosion.

When I went to get a clutch cover gasket I saw a *new* TW200 on the floor. They went to a disc front brake (OMFG HYDRAULIC!) and the case bolts are 8 mm hex head now. I thought about doing a quick showroom-floor fastenerectomy but I'd forgotten tools. =]