Suspension adjustment help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
The front forks have three adjusters, the rear shock has one.

I'm wanting to soften the suspension (yeah, yeah, save it), and am wondering what adjustments should be made to the rest of the suspension if I turn the fork spring preload adjusterd "softer" say, two "clicks", what, if anything should be done to keep the suspension in balance?

The goal is to move the FJR more towards the "touring" side of "sport touring."

Thanks.

The front forks have three adjusters, the rear shock has one.
I'm wanting to soften the suspension (yeah, yeah, save it), and am wondering what adjustments should be made to the rest of the suspension if I turn the fork spring preload adjusterd "softer" say, two "clicks", what, if anything should be done to keep the suspension in balance?

The goal is to move the FJR more towards the "touring" side of "sport touring."

Thanks.
The preload adjusters don't click. They are the rings on the tops of the forks. There is a place for an open end wrench to fit on the tops of the forks under the rebound adjustment clicker. Please read "OWNERS MANUAL". Back the preload adjuster out one ring at a time and test ride. The real way to set properly is to set the sag with your weight on the bike. Look up seting sag on the website or google it. To much to go into now.

Ray

1st, consult the owners manual for descriptions/definitions/locations of the knobs & adjusters.

Find "neutral" (the center click) for compression and rebound dampners. You'll have to back all the way off and count the clicks, then back off to the center. That would be your base setting. Be careful about backing the preload too far off as it will tend to "nosedive" severely under hard braking.

Mine came from the dealer set in the middle, with the preload (The 17mm hex just below the black knobs) set on the 3rd line from the top. For me, @ 240 lbs., that was fairly "touring" as it was a soft comfortable ride. I now have it set at 1 line of preload showing (@ 14,800 miles the front springs are getting softer, I may have Traxxion in my future), the compression at 2 clicks stiffer than "neutral, the rebound @ 1 click stiffer than "neutral".

Find what's comfortable for your style of riding as not all of us desire the feedback or need the control that stiffer settings give.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, yes, I realize the preload is a groove, not a clicker deal, and yes, I understand that I should move it one way or the other for stiffer/harder...my question is, once I've adjusted the preload, what, if anything, should I do to adjust the rebound damping and compression damping, to equalize/compensate for the changed preload setting, and what about the rear shock? Reading the manual is what lead me to ask the original question.

It seems that if I change the preload, rebound and compression should also be changed.

generally more spring= less compression and more rebound.

less spring= more compression and less rebound

Thanks, Rick, that's a very helpful set of articles.

If I understood it correctly, plushness, which is the direction I want to go, is pretty simple: less preload, less damping, less compression; I guess it's just going to be trial and error.

I guess it's just going to be trial and error.

Ahhhh, yup! Find what's right for you and enjoy the ride. Just be careful when you're 2-up. Dragging hard parts (like mufflers) in a corner and lifting the back wheel is really no fun, at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think setting sag can be done without trial/error, but compression and rebound damping is trial and error.

If you soften the springs, you may want to increase compression some, but leave rebound soft. YMMV

I think setting sag can be done without trial/error, but compression and rebound damping is trial and error.
If you soften the springs, you may want to increase compression some, but leave rebound soft. YMMV
Ah, I see, makes sense. Thx again.

Two clicks softer than the manual's standard on everything, one "ring" softer on the front preload, and my wife's happy as a clam behind me, now. Actually, I'm happier, too. Although I know a lot of FJR owners buy the bike to ride fast and hard, I was actually looking for a luxury sport tourer. I've got the motorcycle equivalent to a big Lexus, the Goldwing, but wanted something more like a 6-series BMW, i.e. a European style grand touring machine...capable and comfortable at pseudo-legal speeds. If the oak Yamaha uses for the seat cushion every breaks in a little bit, I'll be there. We did a quick 150 mile lunch run into the Texas hill country today, over roads that last weekend made my wife mutter about "pogo stick" suspension, and all was much closer to that feel I was after.

Thanks again, those of you who made helpful suggestions.