SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico; September 16-19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miho, Taos is only just over an hour from Abiquiu, and the ranch and museum where that American treasure, my Auntie Georgia O'Keeffe, spent her final years changing the world's ideas about women and art. I understand it to be a magical placeand likely worth a side trip. By itself, it should be reason enough to make this gathering.

...Plus, I'm guessing there'll be beer.

OKeeffeRoadPasttheRanch.jpg
Miguel Viejo, I've been to the ranch couple of times before. Are you aware OM, they have moved the museum to Santa Fe?

Your Aunt's name came up in a short conversation I had with HYCLE and Dr. Rich: Twas telling them about how much I have grown to love the desert and they mentioned how they love the greenery of Northern California, which I also deeply admire.

I'd mentioned how just one Georgia O'Keeffe painting, any of her paintings, could sum up my strong affection for the desert.

Of course you know by our talking like this, an Irish Asshole from Oregon is going to tell us to press a flower into our diaries!

https://www.okeeffemuseum.org/ If others are interested in day ride to Abiquiu and to the Museum, I'd be happy to lead this!

AJ says his brother Alex might be able to help us out with dinner. And, he told Bust and RadioHowie to go screw themselves!
I can do that... Thankfully he didn't say each other that woulda been weird :dribble:

Hey AJ? :fuck: I hope that Armadillo you take along for your pleasure, shits in yer Helmet

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
:fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans:

To All Forum Members,

I have volunteered to coordinate the 2010 SW-FOG being held in Taos, New Mexico from September 16 – September 19, 2010.

Lodge Best Western Kachina Lodge & Meeting Center

413 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte Taos, New Mexico, 87571

Reservations: 575-758-2275 or 1-800-522-4462

Mention: SW-FOG or Group #1520

SW-FOG Accomodations & Lodge

If we reserve a minimum of 20 rooms, we will get these rooms for $79 per night +tax. To make your reservation, call one of the numbers listed above and mention SW-FOG to be guaranteed this rate. The hotel will honor this same rate up to 3 days prior and/or 3 days after the SW-FOG dates, in case you arrive early or plan on staying later. I have had them set aside a total of 34 rooms; 15 single King, 15 Double Queen and 4 King Smoking rooms. If additional rooms are needed, we can be accommodated until rooms are reserved by other guests. It is best to reserve your room(s) ASAP, to ensure our availability. All room will be grouped together on the bottom floor.

I am arranging a BBQ on one of the nights, probably Saturday night, that will consist of either a Chicken & Ribs dinner or a Mexican Buffet, which will cost no more than $20 per person including taxes and tip. This includes sides and drink. Details will be forth coming once everyone starts making reservations and letting me know which dinner they want. We can have one or the other. The Chicken & Ribs dinner includes both items!

The weather in September is probably the best time of year to have the SW-FOG, because it’s cool in the evenings and nice during the day. If however it started to rain, the outdoor BBQ will be moved inside to Banquet rooms.

If we hit our minimum of 20 rooms, the Hotel will throw in a free breakfast and ½ off your first drink at the bar.

I’ve PM’d our Administrators concerning the 2010 NAFO (if it occurs) and am awaiting word back to make sure the dates of SW-FOG do not conflict with NAFO. Hopefully, I’ll hear shortly!

Reservations will need to be made individually and paid for at the time of your reservation. Payment of the meal (BBQ) can be collected at the same time you make your reservation or at a later date. I am not using my credit card to guarantee any charges to the Lodge.

If you have questions, comments or if you make your reservation, please PM me so I can keep track of who is attending the 2010 SW-FOG. Please include your forum name and your real name, along with the number of guests you might be bringing with you and the type of room you reserved.

I will update as more info is obtained.

Big-D (Dan)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will have to do this one.

My first ever tour was a SW-FOG and I had a great time in NM and CO.

B)

The last SW-FOG held in Page, AZ last month was a complete success. If that was any indication, the 2010 SW-FOG should be even better because we will be closer to other states, making it more likely for more participants.

It'll be good to see you again, zzzzip. Is there anyway you can strap your fly rod to the bike? I'll bring a good bottle of somethin' and I'm sure we could kill an afternoon on some mountain stream.

https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainlan...e=1284274800000 Only for grins and giggles, I was just looking at scenic routing from Vancouver Island to Taos. Cross on Sunday from Comox to Powell River and ferry from Saltery Bay to Canada 101. Spend Sunday night in tent at Manning Provincial Park.
Monday night spent at Waterton Lakes National Park. Cross into Estados Unidos on Interstate 15 at Sweet Grass; attempting to convince Canadian Royal Mounted Police, Niehart isn't a "Goofy Newfy" attempting to escape Canuckistan!!! Tuesday night camping at Yellowstone Nat'l. Park.

Wednesday night in my Coleman Aries PeakII tent at Rocky Mountain National Park in pinheadland. Taos-Thursday Noon.
Papa Chuy:

On the way to CFR last year, I pitched my tent at the Waterton Springs Campground, just outside Waterton Lakes NP on AB-6, and I highly recommend it. Lots of great, wooded campsites to choose from, a laundry/shower/convenience store, and Rocky Mountain scenery to die for. From there, you can take AB-6 and MT-7 to US-89, which takes you all the way to Yellowstone.

It'll be good to see you again, zzzzip. Is there anyway you can strap your fly rod to the bike? I'll bring a good bottle of somethin' and I'm sure we could kill an afternoon on some mountain stream.
You betcha. Been a while since I fell on my ass and filled my waders. Time's a wastin'.

B)

Sep 16 is my 30th B-day, sounds like a great way to spend it.

Count me and Mrs. Wanderer in. We'll be 2-up coming down from the Springs.

We're in for the Monday ride with the group headed North to NAFO as well, at least as far as Gunnison before we turn east for home.

Pinhead, I'm sure you already included either CO149 or the legendary 550 in that ride, yes? 149 might be my favorite road in all of CO.

Wanderer,

What part of the Springs do you call home. I lived there from '91 to '97 up in Brairgate, back when Brairgate was up and coming. My kids attended Timberview and Explorer.

:fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: To All Forum Members,

I have volunteered to coordinate the 2010 SW-FOG being held in Taos, New Mexico from September 16 – September 19, 2010.

Lodge Best Western Kachina Lodge & Meeting Center

413 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte Taos, New Mexico, 87571

Reservations: 575-758-2275 or 1-800-522-4462

Mention: SW-FOG or Group #1520

SW-FOG Accomodations & Lodge

If we reserve a minimum of 20 rooms, we will get these rooms for $79 per night +tax. To make your reservation, call one of the numbers listed above and mention SW-FOG to be guaranteed this rate. The hotel will honor this same rate up to 3 days prior and/or 3 days after the SW-FOG dates, in case you arrive early or plan on staying later. I have had them set aside a total of 34 rooms; 15 single King, 15 Double Queen and 4 King Smoking rooms. If additional rooms are needed, we can be accommodated until rooms are reserved by other guests. It is best to reserve your room(s) ASAP, to ensure our availability. All room will be grouped together on the bottom floor.

I am arranging a BBQ on one of the nights, probably Saturday night, that will consist of either a Chicken & Ribs dinner or a Mexican Buffet, which will cost no more than $20 per person including taxes and tip. This includes sides and drink. Details will be forth coming once everyone starts making reservations and letting me know which dinner they want. We can have one or the other. The Chicken & Ribs dinner includes both items!

The weather in September is probably the best time of year to have the SW-FOG, because it’s cool in the evenings and nice during the day. If however it started to rain, the outdoor BBQ will be moved inside to Banquet rooms.

If we hit our minimum of 20 rooms, the Hotel will throw in a free breakfast and ½ off your first drink at the bar.

I’ve PM’d our Administrators concerning the 2010 NAFO (if it occurs) and am awaiting word back to make sure the dates of SW-FOG do not conflict with NAFO. Hopefully, I’ll hear shortly!

Reservations will need to be made individually and paid for at the time of your reservation. Payment of the meal (BBQ) can be collected at the same time you make your reservation or at a later date. I am not using my credit card to guarantee any charges to the Lodge.

If you have questions, comments or if you make your reservation, please PM me so I can keep track of who is attending the 2010 SW-FOG. Please include your forum name and your real name, along with the number of guests you might be bringing with you and the type of room you reserved.

I will update as more info is obtained.

Big-D (Dan)
(The Cancellation Policy is: Room Cancellations must be done by 4pm the day before your scheduled arrival) So if you are thinking about going and want to reserve a room, but the possibility exists that something could come up preventing you from attending, you would have plenty of time to cancel out.

Wanderer,
What part of the Springs do you call home. I lived there from '91 to '97 up in Brairgate, back when Brairgate was up and coming. My kids attended Timberview and Explorer.
I live up against Cheyenne Mtn, sorta in the Broadmoor area. It's close enough to Ft Carson that I can go home midday if I need to , but far enough that I don't live with many other soldiers.

How long has it been since you've seen the Springs? Man you should see Briargate now.....I imagine it's grown a good bit and it's definately the, shall we say, more affluent side of town. CoS is really tripping over itself in pretty much every direction its growing so fast. Even more so that the Army relocated 8,000 more troops up from Ft Hood, TX and the Air Force expanded Schriever when they moved NORAD down off the hill.

If we don't end up moving back to Central AZ, we'll probably stay here.

Of course you know by our talking like this, an Irish Asshole from Oregon is going to tell us to press a flower into our diaries!
We, in response, could suggest he press sand up his kooter.
My kooter is exit only, but thanks for the offer. ;)

It is so nice to be loved... but beemerdons, is that any way to treat a fellow Hibernian? :whistle:

As for New Mexico, I haven't been there since a two week vacation back in '94. Beautiful country. On my travels I even saw Georgia O'keefe's broken down shack she used. OM, I take it the looks and talent were passed down to the other side of the family? :rolleyes:

OK, down to business. The Mexico trip in November is a major financial drain. Hell, I don't even have money for a set of tires for PussyKat right now. AND I want to do Vancouver. I can't do both financially. So I'll be a fence sitter until I can get another vacation period approved (I'm just soooo looking forward to that struggle) and see how money goes. My kids and wife keep whining that they want a vacation too -- selfish little rugrats :( ;)

Vancouver would be cheaper and less time consuming, but New Mexico sounds cool too, despite the riff raff attending.

There are a couple of good ways to get from Taos to Gunnison. Alamosa is NOT one of them. I'll post an idea or two when I'm not at work.
Well, we were talking about routes people would take headed home. The only good part of the ride from Alamosa to Gunnison is 114, but it has been about 5 years since I have been on that road. If people are headed to Gunnison, they can always go through SouthFork and take 149 up, but riders will still have long shots of straight to get to the decent parts. Seems like all the good roads are north of Gunnison; unless you know some route I have never hear of. If you have something new, spill it. Riding Southern CO can be a lot of fun if you know where to head.

https://www.cabq.gov/airport/ground-transportation I wanted to stress the fact that SW-FOG 2010 is going to be a great celebration for bringing your significant other with you to enjoy the festivities. My Lady Friend Rena lives in Houston and my plan is for her to fly into Albuquerque International Sunport Airport. I plan on her taking a shuttle to Santa Fe and I would pick her up there on my FJR for the scenic ride up to Taos. When SW-FOG is over on Sunday, Rena would take the return shuttle directly to Sunport Airport while I lead a short morning ride. The shopping for ladies in Taos is phenomenal.

So, if you are having to haul ass long distances to get to SW-FOG, you may want to consider riding solo allowing you to burn off those 750 mile days; which will allow your wife, girlfriend or SO the option of jumping a jet to/from SW-FOG 2010.

Jewelry, tapestry, clothing, artwork, prints, paintings, sculptures: Taos has it all, when it comes to being an artist's colony!!

https://www.cabq.gov/airport/ground-transportation I wanted to stress the fact that SW-FOG 2010 is going to be a great celebration for bringing your significant other with you to enjoy the festivities. My Lady Friend Rena lives in Houston and my plan is for her to fly into Albuquerque International Sunport Airport. I plan on her taking a shuttle to Santa Fe and I would pick her up there on my FJR for the scenic ride up to Taos. When SW-FOG is over on Sunday, Rena would take the return shuttle directly to Sunport Airport while I lead a short morning ride. The shopping for ladies in Taos is phenomenal.
So, if you are having to haul ass long distances to get to SW-FOG, you may want to consider riding solo allowing you to burn off those 750 mile days; which will allow your wife, girlfriend or SO the option of jumping a jet to/from SW-FOG 2010.

Jewelry, tapestry, clothing, artwork, prints, paintings, sculptures: Taos has it all, when it comes to being an artist's colony!!
And this ain't far away either. ;)