Sylanvia Silverstar H4's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staledonut

Reaction score
Lost another set of Sylvania SilverStar H4's on my 05. Both high beams went bye bye on the same day as was the case last time. Not sure exactly how far apart their deaths were though. This set lasted about the same as the first set: ~7 weeks and ~2000 miles. I checked the voltage at the battery which reads 14.16v at idle and 14.21v at 3k rpm. My dealer confirmed this was ok when I lost the first set.

Oh Yes, I made sure the bulbs were clean as always when I installed them. Yes sir.

I'm one of those irritating types that runs the high beams during the day. I want all the firepower I muster in today's environment where the driving public sees driving as a distraction so the high beams receive much more use than the low beams. I've run other H4's (Phillips, Candlepower, brand x) successfully on past bikes, running the high beam during the day, and generally received a year+ life out of them. These were also of the 80/100 watt variety. The SilverStars are 55/60 so I'd like to believe that they are subjected to less stress. I don't run a modulator, but perhaps ought to consider one as an alternative.

I've installed a third set, the same ones whose package reads: "For motorcycles only", which I had on hand when Pep Boys allowed the exchange of the second set, but if these go, I will reluctantly have to give up on the SilverStars as I've otherwise been impressed with them.

I wonder if the high beams on the Silverstars just aren't meant to be run as much as I run them?

I ended up narrowing it down to two. Osram SilverStar H4 & Philips VisionPlus. Neither the North American version.

Osram, the well-established German lampmaker, sells a line of bulbs they call "SilverStar". These are Osram's top-of-the-range headlamp bulbs, equivalent to Philips VisionPlus. They produce the maximum legal amount of light while staying within legal power consumption limits. They have clear glass.

Osram bought Sylvania in the early 1990s, so Osram is now Sylvania's parent company. Sylvania also sells a line of bulbs in the US they call "SilverStar", but it's not the same product at all. I ordered the Osram SilverStar H4 from https://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?ba...sp?V_ID=refresh about $29.00 a pair with free worldwide shipping,

I read on another motorcycle forum (don't remember), it went something like this:

Sylvania had the chance to make an outstanding aftermarket bulb replacement series. However they didn't. Took the low road and made a mediocre bulb with the SilverStars.

Osram, on the other hand, makes an awesome replacement bulb (read about on same site). I got mine from Daniel Stern. He imports the Osram to USA. His site is an excellent read; lots of lighting information and tips. He returned my emails and answered my questions promptly and for that gets my plug.

Daniel Stern

FNG :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts