Tailbone Redux, I REALLY need some seat help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
I cracked my tailbone about a month ago, and it's not exactly getting better. I have a thing called an Aqua-Aire cushion with a cutout that is recommended over on the Goldwing boards, and it allows me to ride the Wing, but it's too wide to fit on the FJR seat.

I picked the FJR up today after having it at a body shop for a couple of weeks, due to a stupidhead fawdown at a stop, and by the time I got home, 12 miles later, my wife said I was white as a sheet...from the pain. I'm pretty sure any healing that had occurred was re-cracked on the ride home. No bumpy roads, just the seating position alone, which puts direct pressure on the tailbone.

Can anyone suggest something that will help? My doc tells me it may be months before the bone is healed, longer if I keep bonking it and cracking the cracked crack again. A "doughnut" cushion won't do the trick.

The tailbone, by the way, is called the coccyx, which is Greek for cuckoo. It's called that because some bone namer back in the mists decided the bone looks like the beak of a cuckoo. It's actually several bones, too.

Yes, this will be on the test.

Thanks if you can help, I need something to take the pressure off, or I'll go cuckoo from having a brand new FJR sculpture rather than a motorcycle. I need something that I can rest my "sitbones" on, without any pressure on the coccyx.

I'd say find a seat maker and have him 'hole' the seat in the general area that's, um, affected.

As a second thought, Mike-H would be happy to 'kizzit 'n makey awl bedda fowa du' after a ride. :D

I've had tailbone problems, and its no fun. You can either have a seat ortho shaped to not touch your tailbone, by going to a upholster of your choice. Another way to temporarily relieve the pressure and diy, is fabricating memory foam and having your wife or SO sew them behind your legs, in the seat area of a pair of mens lycra spandex Cycling Tights / Bike Pants. Use these under your mesh, and you'll ride a bit higher, have some relief, but you'll be in the running for that Geico commercial about saddlebags :lol: Otherwise you'll have to do what your doctors says and try not to continue re-injuring, by keeping off the bun.

I hurt mine on a fall snow skiing. when I skied over some corn rowed snow never new it could cause that much discomfort. I takes six week min. to heal can be longer. When I was in grade school this girl broke hers and she carriied a pillow with her just to sit. so maybe one of those over size pillows that the hippies used to smoke pot on would help. :yahoo: :yahoo: :D

+1 for thee ouch factor

Here is something you can do yourself. Take your seat apart by pulling out the staples. Look at the back part of the seat. Cut some of the foam down with a bread knife so that there is no "ramp up" or curve at the back of the seat. You may even have to slope it downward a bit, away from your butt. This will get rid of ANY foam that touches your tailbone. Even a little is not good.

While you are at it, add a thin layer of memory foam on top and re-staple the cover back on. If you wish, slice a layer of foam all the way across so you can use a thicker piece of memory foam across the whole shebang.

Just be very careful to have a negative space in the rear portion of the seat so there is no way you contact the foam with your tailbone. Now when seated, your sit-bones will do all the work and your tailbone will just be along for the ride.

I hurt mine on a fall snow skiing. when I skied over some corn rowed snow never new it could cause that much discomfort. I takes six week min. to heal can be longer. When I was in grade school this girl broke hers and she carriied a pillow with her just to sit. so maybe one of those over size pillows that the hippies used to smoke pot on would help. :yahoo: :yahoo: :D
+1 for thee ouch factor

Or maybe just the pot ! :D

I injured my tailbone several years ago while horseback riding. It was pushed in and to one side. Any type of soft cushion put pressure on it and caused pain. I sat on hard or firm surfaces. I couldn't ride my Harley with the solo seat for a year. Dirt bikes I could manage. For the next two years I couldn't ride the Harley while I was wearing Levis. The jean's seat seam put pressure on the tip of the tailbone. Even now after years of chiropractic care my tailbone can become sensitive from continued pressure.

If you must ride the FJR it sounds like you need a custom seat. I had my KLR seat and my Harley seat made by Tom Simmons in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He's well known in the area. He used to travel out of state to do custom seats. It seems like he had a dealer in Nashville and in Wichita that he would do work for. I don't know if he still travels. Phone 501-521-7339

Harvey

I cracked my tailbone about a month ago, and it's not exactly getting better. I have a thing called an Aqua-Aire cushion with a cutout that is recommended over on the Goldwing boards, and it allows me to ride the Wing, but it's too wide to fit on the FJR seat.
I picked the FJR up today after having it at a body shop for a couple of weeks, due to a stupidhead fawdown at a stop, and by the time I got home, 12 miles later, my wife said I was white as a sheet...from the pain. I'm pretty sure any healing that had occurred was re-cracked on the ride home. No bumpy roads, just the seating position alone, which puts direct pressure on the tailbone.

Can anyone suggest something that will help? My doc tells me it may be months before the bone is healed, longer if I keep bonking it and cracking the cracked crack again. A "doughnut" cushion won't do the trick.

The tailbone, by the way, is called the coccyx, which is Greek for cuckoo. It's called that because some bone namer back in the mists decided the bone looks like the beak of a cuckoo. It's actually several bones, too.

Yes, this will be on the test.

Thanks if you can help, I need something to take the pressure off, or I'll go cuckoo from having a brand new FJR sculpture rather than a motorcycle. I need something that I can rest my "sitbones" on, without any pressure on the coccyx.

what everyone else said... and check out the bicycle seats at a real bicycle shop, you might get some good ideas...

a couple friends of mine have the same problem... they just stick to sportbikes cause they lean forward...

sounds like you need to lay off riding for a while... :eek: (

Mary

OUCH. I know that pain. I cracked mine about 10 years ago doing an ass plant on the icy cement driveway unloading a snowmobile. It took months to ease off and it still bothers me today if I sit on a hard surface wrong for too long. I lost a riding season on my sled and my streetbike that year. It was no fun.

My doctor was really helpful. He inspected and said,"yea, you've broken your tailbone and it takes a long time to heal" "So, how will I know when it is healed?" "When it quites hurting" was his answer. Great. Thanks.

I would definitely take the stock seat apart and cut away the foam where it touches your tailbone. A stock seat is only a $100 so replacing it is not a big deal if you can chop it up for now to ride. Or it makes a great excuse to get a custom seat when it does stop hurting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try all of the suggestions, but you still risk injuring it or affecting it by riding motorcycle. I would let it heal completely before getting on the bikes. I know it sucks, but would you rather wait a few months and let it heal, or continue a longer road of pain.

I'd say find a seat maker and have him 'hole' the seat in the general area that's, um, affected.
As a second thought, Mike-H would be happy to 'kizzit 'n makey awl bedda fowa du' after a ride. :D
Or TWN could just french it for you....add gerbil juice & twn will lick it clean.... :p

Or TWN could just french it for you....add gerbil juice & twn will lick it clean.... :p :D

Double post just for you twn.... :fuck:

Or TWN could just french it for you....add gerbil juice & twn will lick it clean.... :p

dude, that's just gross! :puke:

You guys gonna put on a celebrity death match at Reno? I wanna buy tickets when they go up for sale...

OK, that's a bit over the line, Mikey, even for you. Trying to be humorous is one thing, but that? WTF?

No, Groo. No CDM for me. Not really worth my time, you know?

TWN....I my apologies...apparently the information given my about your gross out limits & abilities was incorrect....so again I'm sorry.....& to show no hard feelings....we can :drinks: & :friends: @ WFO.... :) ....anything you want to add Groo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. It appears I am the witless foil of several brilliantbuttock posters. :unsure: How does one juice a gerbil? And why?

The well meaning suggestions are very appreciated. I am afraid the best advice is the worst: don't ride.

I'll probably try cutting my seat.

Hmm. It appears I am the witless foil of several brilliantbuttock posters. :unsure: How does one juice a gerbil? And why?
The well meaning suggestions are very appreciated. I am afraid the best advice is the worst: don't ride.

Before you cut your seat Mark,....make sure you have picked out a nice aftermarket saddle & show it to the appropriate people (gift ideas).....in case cutting yours doesn't work out....good luck.... :)

Before you cut your seat Mark,....make sure you have picked out a nice aftermarket saddle & show it to the appropriate people (gift ideas).....in case cutting yours doesn't work out....good luck.... :)
Yah, I'd thought of that.

I don't know if they will help, But I have purchased a pair of SADDLEMEN GEL RIDING SHORTS .I haven't had a chance to try mine out except to put them on and sit at my old antique lawyer chair at the computer which usually feels like nails at the 20 minute mark, and I sat for over a hour No Problem. They are spandex shorts with a 1/4 inch perf.gel pads so in the butt cheeks ,this is hopefully my answer to a high priced seat .They sell for around 70 bucks thru Dennis Kirk or Parts Unlimited. I didn't find them on the Saddlemen site but you could call them. Oh ,when you walk in them ,because of the weight of the gel,it feels like you have a LOAD in your pants.