Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also a minimal minimalist, I also have the smaller Nelson-Rigg, I don't even use the hardbags, the Nelson easily holds the one spare pair of underwear I bring on my week long stints.
Rad, if you turn 'em inside out, they're good for another week. It'll save you some space. ;)

Turn them around first and you could push one pair for four weeks. :glare:

The twisted Throttle bag also has a power set the auto detaches when you remove the bag.
Dayum, wish I had known that before I ordered all the parts. But I wanted to do a few more custom things anyway. Eastern Beaver had a couple of helpful things, including a power passthru for the bag:

https://easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/Product...ag/tankbag.html

Dude, you related to Carmen?
OK you made go google up Carmen and all I got was an opera and some "fine" (hey, it says so on their webpage, must be true...?) wine from Chile. Wadup wid Carmen? Gawd I feel old...

It looks like Yamaha Europe has a NEW/Improved FJR tank bag:

YME-W0750-10-00_HR.jpg

Touring Tankbag

Part Number

YME-W0750-10-00

Now to find a price and if it can actually be had somewhere....

Standby...

Ok, so I have a tankbag question, and here is just as good a place as any to ask it.

I got a magnetic tank bag for Christmas. I have never used one, so I was wondering who uses that strap that is supposed to go underneath the handlebars. I looked for a good place to route it and it seemed like it would be a pain in the ass, especially if I was taking off the bag every time I parked the bike. The strap would either just hang there or I would have to take it off and take it with me.

SO...Do those of you with magnetic bags use that strap or not?

Ok, so I have a tankbag question, and here is just as good a place as any to ask it.
I got a magnetic tank bag for Christmas. I have never used one, so I was wondering who uses that strap that is supposed to go underneath the handlebars. I looked for a good place to route it and it seemed like it would be a pain in the ass, especially if I was taking off the bag every time I parked the bike. The strap would either just hang there or I would have to take it off and take it with me.

Generally speaking I do not. I have cut the straps off of one tank bag cause they were just in the way. On another I did, cause it was just the right length. The others, not so much. I have a stem stand now that holds the zumo that I can loop it around but it's not going to keep it on the bike in the event of a crash.

QUOTE (HotRodZilla @ Apr 28 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made a bracket that screws onto the tank bolts. My dearly beloved used her sewing machine to make tucks in the strap so it was short enough.

I only have it on when I'm using the tank bag, it only takes a minute to put it on or remove it.

Edit: Pictures added (click on any image for larger view):

Bracket with straps ready to put on. . . Bracket fitted

. . .

Ready to go (well, when turned round) ... Bag hung on straps for refuelling

. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys; thats all good stuff to know and what I was kind of figuring. I'm gonna leave the strap off, put the bag on and go for some local rides, just to test my equipment before a long ride. I just didn't wanna go strapless, go for a test ride, and have the bag flailing all over.

Suggestions for a good tank bag? Pictures and rationale?
Thanks
I bought the Rapid Transit Recon 19 from Motorcycle Superstore and love it. Fits the tank perfectly. I would however like to see a lager window area for the map.

Mike

Suggestions for a good tank bag? Pictures and rationale?
Thanks
I bought the Rapid Transit Recon 19 from Motorcycle Superstore and love it. Fits the tank perfectly. I would however like to see a lager window area for the map.

Mike
I bought this too based upon some recommendations here.

And while it's nice, it's nice for a weekend ride, but not a 'trip' and isn't worth a shit for any LD work.

1: It's too small

2: The map portion is friggin useless, too small and hard to get into quicky. I carry roughly a 3x5 note pad for jotting down mileage, bonus notes, locations, etc. and that won't even fit in the map portion.

3: The hydration bladder, at least the one I got is a joke. Too small of a fill hole, can't put ice in it easily from say a gas station ice dispenser, and there's no way to put it in the bag w/o taking all your shit out or making a mess. A separate zip pocket for this would be ideal bit it doesn't have one.

IF this bag were 3 inches wider with a separate zip pocket it would be sweet....

It is a fine bag for light duty but not an end all bag.

Now that I've gotten you all excited, I may have one to sell (cheap) :)

Twisted Throttle also has that style of bags. They call them quick-lock tank bag. Good stuff.
Thats what I wound up switching to after several others. The on and off is superquick, The bag doesn't touch the tank at all so no scratches. there is a powered one available too I think.

this old post has some good pictures in it. tank bag pictures(and other stuff)