TBS performed yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Just as I suspected. The same thread as the other one.

Don't worry Jarhead, I'll take care of that little ooopsie for you. As usual, marines can't get a damned thing done right without the Navy.

:fuck:

Well, I am going to disagree with DC and barb a bit.

A TBS ONLY smooths out the engine at idle. Does nothing for the FJR while going down the road or fuel economy. Unless of course, you are coasting at idle. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right Skoot, that's my understanding as well. Also, for what it's worth, I've heard that the benefit of having your throttle bodies well sync'd disappears entirely once the motorcycle is fully inverted (playa style). I'm not sure on that one myself, but a friend of mine knows all about it.

A TBS ONLY smooths out the engine at idle. Does nothing for the FJR while going down the road or fuel economy. Unless of course, you are coasting at idle. :blink:
Unless you do TBS the 'RadMan' way?

I dunno, after TBS was done on both the FJR and FZ both bikes could go a considerable distance farther on the same tank full of gas. The FZ6 especially. Started out getting about 250/tank, now easily anywhere from 335-355/tank.

Mind you, the before pic on both my bikes was not as pretty as GunMD's. I was actually shocked to see how out of whack these bikes were.

Last edited by a moderator:
********************************************************************************

I'm gonna disagree with that one. If my understanding is correct, the sync is done at idle to get all throttle bodies in sync, then as throttle is applied and the bodies deliver fuel, they are all on the same level, which makes the entire engine run smoother at all RPM ranges. Not sure where I read that, but if ya think about it, it makes sense. All throttle bodies delivering at same rate to all cylinders should make for a smoother engine at any throttle setting.

Unless you do TBS the 'RadMan' way?
Correct. But you need to be careful with that one. You can improve things with Rad's 'Un-authorized TBS', or screw things up. Afterall, the SM specifically says not to change the Throttle Body butterfly alignment.

********************************************************************************I'm gonna disagree with that one. If my understanding is correct, the sync is done at idle to get all throttle bodies in sync, then as throttle is applied and the bodies deliver fuel, they are all on the same level, which makes the entire engine run smoother at all RPM ranges. Not sure where I read that, but if ya think about it, it makes sense. All throttle bodies delivering at same rate to all cylinders should make for a smoother engine at any throttle setting.
You're understanding is incorrect. :p Sort of.

When performing a TBS and turning that little screw? You are NOT changing the relative position of each of the throttlebody butterflies. That screw is a separate little system in itself. All it does is adjust how much air is let through each throttlebody. At IDLE. With the throttle (and hence throttlebody butterflys) closed.

Once you open the throttle, and those butterflies start passing a significant increase in air, the amount of air that screw adjusts and lets in becomes miniscule and no longer has any effect.

Barb - I am not familiar with the FZ-6 system, but I am guessing it's similar to the FJR's as I describe above. But I am willing to assert that there is NO way a TBS adjustment can give a 30-40% increase in fuel mileage as you describe. Something else was going on there.

I guess I started a little debate.

Ya'all can't agree on anything. :rolleyes:

I see no reason to buy the tool and do this for a little better idle.

Not sure if I have an idle problem anyway.

I might do it for better mileage, but I hear that it does not help that.

Latest posts