Tech Day XII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
I dunno what the hell is going on in the world (I blame FYB for already announcing his Tech Day) but we're ready to announce Tech Day XII 4 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!!

It'll kick off on Friday, April 29, 2016 and the 'actual' Tech Day is Saturday, April 30, 2016. If ya wanna do a valve check, plan on getting there Friday night.

Bust is gonna host this time so the location is sunny, beautiful, scenic, picturesque, breathtaking, Owosso, Michigan. Lemme know if you need the address for Bust's place.

Past Tech Days have seen CCT swaps, valve checks, tire changes, brake & blinker fluids flushes, and electrical doo-dads being liberated of their smoke. So, whatever your bike needs, there will prolly be someone there to help ya or heckle ya if ya don't need or want help.

Oohh...Can someone there school me on how to change blinker fluid??? Yo Bar, I got's to learn that one!

punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

If I drive West through The Great White North, it is a short 6 hour ride. Something to remember as we get closer.

Alright, on the calendar.

I'm due for a valve check I think. 50k a reasonable time to do that?

Owosso is more manageable and with 4 months notice, I should be able to make it. I'll have my electrical stuff with me if anyone needs help with that.

I dunno what the hell is going on in the world (I blame FYB for already announcing his Tech Day) but we're ready to announce Tech Day XII 4 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!!
It'll kick off on Friday, April 29, 2016 and the 'actual' Tech Day is Saturday, April 30, 2016. If ya wanna do a valve check, plan on getting there Friday night.

Bust is gonna host this time so the location is sunny, beautiful, scenic, picturesque, breathtaking, Owosso, Michigan. Lemme know if you need the address for Bust's place.

Past Tech Days have seen CCT swaps, valve checks, tire changes, brake & blinker fluids flushes, and electrical doo-dads being liberated of their smoke. So, whatever your bike needs, there will prolly be someone there to help ya or heckle ya if ya don't need or want help.
And again you have scheduled to exclude me! I told you I would be in an outage until May 3rd. I see how it is. And don't think like you have any influence. I got the SEOR weekend changed to accommodate MY tech day. WORD!
punk.gif

Alright, on the calendar.
I'm due for a valve check I think. 50k a reasonable time to do that?

Owosso is more manageable and with 4 months notice, I should be able to make it. I'll have my electrical stuff with me if anyone needs help with that.
Due? You are due for your second one!

It's on the calendar. Thanks!

(need address please)

Last edited by a moderator:
In!

I'll need a valve check done too. Can someone list the items I need to order in advance and bring with me - specific shims, gasket, etc?

In!

I'll need a valve check done too. Can someone list the items I need to order in advance and bring with me - specific shims, gasket, etc?
Dude, you're lucky it's not Friday around here...
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118270

There a boatload of info on the forum. BillyFitz has a spreadsheet too. It might be in Canadian though...
Yah, 'Fitter has a spreadsheet for the clearances but his Mac does translate to speak 'Merican. Technology. Ain't it great!

Allen - we have a shim kit. I think RaYzerman has it.

In.

I have valve cover gaskets and the side cover gasket sets - I'll confirm the quantity. I'll bring the spare parts bins as well for "just in case" or "andy touched it".

Wayne

In!

There a boatload of info on the forum. BillyFitz has a spreadsheet too. It might be in Canadian though...
Thanks, but I've heard and read that there are some differences in the Generations and this write-up is for a Gen 1. I know basic stuff will be the same but some will likely be different. I've heard definitely get a new head cover gasket yet in this write-up, more than one said that should not be needed... Oh, and I do not speak Canadinese or Applenese.

If you don't have a valve cover gasket on hand, your's will rip or otherwise be unusable. If there is one there, your's will be fine to reinstall - Murphy's Law of FJR valve checks...

I have two (I'm pretty sure) - like I said, I'll check and make sure.

In!

Thanks, but I've heard and read that there are some differences in the Generations and this write-up is for a Gen 1. I know basic stuff will be the same but some will likely be different. I've heard definitely get a new head cover gasket yet in this write-up, more than one said that should not be needed... Oh, and I do not speak Canadinese or Applenese.

The valve cover gasket is pretty robust, very little risk of damaging it, definitely reusable, don't buy one. If one very carefully removes the right engine cover, gasket 5JW-15456-11-00 will be oK, however, it sometimes can get damaged so best have a spare on hand (we do, I keep one with the shim kit). Shims, we have restocked the shim kit several times out of our own pockets, and if you need shims, we'll twist your arm for a donation. Two O-rings are needed for the coolant pipe, 93210-18417-00 (we have spares also).

Sounds like this might be worth a trip to that state up there....

I will have to see how much of my stuff gets done over the winter. Santa is hopefully bringing a few new farkles for the bike.

And I might be a girl - but I WILL NOT be dancing. Smh