Tech Day XII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due? You are due for your second one!
Well this would be the second one. Missed the Tech Day when I was at 25k. Made the mistake of having a local guy do it came recommended. Long story short, he got it done, but it was quite expensive and I had to replace my Audiovox after he was done. Live and learn, Tech Day can't be missed.

I've texted my son and against my better judgement have told him about this event...so he can learn how to do the valve check. I didn't get that done before handing it off to him.

Hopefully he can scrub from his brain the other stuff he learns.

The valve cover gasket is pretty robust, very little risk of damaging it, definitely reusable, don't buy one. If one very carefully removes the right engine cover, gasket 5JW-15456-11-00 will be oK, however, it sometimes can get damaged so best have a spare on hand (we do, I keep one with the shim kit). Shims, we have restocked the shim kit several times out of our own pockets, and if you need shims, we'll twist your arm for a donation. Two O-rings are needed for the coolant pipe, 93210-18417-00 (we have spares also).
No arm twisting required to donate for replacement parts. chipping in $ to cover their cost is a minuscule fraction of what the dealer wants ($600+) for checking valves! I'll buy and bring the recommended gaskets and o-rings though so someone else can use the extra parts if they need them for their valve check. (The parts only cost 1% of what the dealer charges for the service.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in! Would love to have someone help me with a valve check. Trevor and I had such a good time last year. Hope I can be of some assistance to someone. Maybe hold someone's beer or something.

I'm in! Would love to have someone help me with a valve check. Trevor and I had such a good time last year. Hope I can be of some assistance to someone. Maybe hold someone's beer or something.
That job is already taken...by Andy.

Hmmm. May have to get some pointers from Andy then. I'm always willing to improve my skills.
rolleyes.gif

It is highly recommended to keep Andy busy with beer. Do not let him touch tools, JSNS!

Valve check skool will be open........ you do it with the coach looking over yer shoulder.....

I've texted my son and against my better judgement have told him about this event...so he can learn how to do the valve check. I didn't get that done before handing it off to him. Hopefully he can scrub from his brain the other stuff he learns.
Not to worry, I'll make sure he learns a thing or three...

I've texted my son and against my better judgement have told him about this event...so he can learn how to do the valve check. I didn't get that done before handing it off to him. Hopefully he can scrub from his brain the other stuff he learns.
Just don't tell him there is no Santa Claus.

We won't tell him about you wearing the sheep outfit either...

That's some funny shit right there.

Yeah, how to find ice cream and shake places....
smile.png
I sure would like to make one of these Tech days...
graduated.gif

Latest word on the street is there is a brand new CCT at Bust's place if somebody needs one, and I have one in my stash with the valve shim kit..... The one I have was in a bike for a very short time, and I think taken out because it didn't have a dot on it (it is a good one).

I've just texted my son and told him I was mistaken. When people make shit up I draw the line.

:D

Latest word on the street is there is a brand new CCT at Bust's place if somebody needs one, and I have one in my stash with the valve shim kit..... The one I have was in a bike for a very short time, and I think taken out because it didn't have a dot on it (it is a good one).
Ray,

I will take that CCT please. (PM me with price)

17K on my '05 so might as well replace mine avoid issues down the road.

Here is an official instructional video that I thought I'd post up in case FJR Pittsburg decides to bring another non-FJR job ("could we change a chain and sprockets on my son's bike?") to our upcoming Tech Day. Or maybe someone else has a project they might be working on. This video actually was shot by a friend of Yamafitter Bill, who recently had to repair his WR450 motor. Bill had sent the parts in to him for repair under some anonymous name (Greg). Anyway, if you were ever wanting to know how to properly bore out a cylinder and fit an oversize piston into a motorcycle engine, this is the video for you. Andy! Pay attention fer chrissakes and learn how to use these toolz.

I just joined and understand that a tech day is a good time for advice, learning, and getting stuff done. I would really like to make it. What do I need to do to survive such a weekend? Do I need to plan for a hotel room or camping spot? Meals? Money? How have these gone in the past?

I just joined and understand that a tech day is a good time for advice, learning, and getting stuff done. I would really like to make it. What do I need to do to survive such a weekend? Do I need to plan for a hotel room or camping spot? Meals? Money? How have these gone in the past?
Bring lots of money & beer...
punk.gif