Tech Day XII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined and understand that a tech day is a good time for advice, learning, and getting stuff done. I would really like to make it. What do I need to do to survive such a weekend? Do I need to plan for a hotel room or camping spot? Meals? Money? How have these gone in the past?
Bring lots of money & beer...
punk.gif
Money, Lot's O' Money... especially if Geek gets near your bike.
Or skip the money and bring a trailer to get your bike home.

Don't give me too much credit, Joe..... there's a lot of knowledgeable folks show up to share, and hopefully we all go home a bit smarter...... I know a whole bunch of us are going to be real smart about the new slipper clutch and six speed from all the test rides that will be taken on your nice new shiny blue bike...... can't wait!!!!
Might have to just bring the car instead...
rolleyes.gif

I just joined and understand that a tech day is a good time for advice, learning, and getting stuff done. I would really like to make it. What do I need to do to survive such a weekend? Do I need to plan for a hotel room or camping spot? Meals? Money? How have these gone in the past?
Bring lots of money & beer...
punk.gif
Money, Lot's O' Money... especially if Geek gets near your bike.
Or skip the money and bring a trailer to get your bike home.
Or have your SO follow you to Owosso in her car so that when something important breaks that cannot be repaired, you can still get home.

DAMHIK.

Don't give me too much credit, Joe..... there's a lot of knowledgeable folks show up to share, and hopefully we all go home a bit smarter...... I know a whole bunch of us are going to be real smart about the new slipper clutch and six speed from all the test rides that will be taken on your nice new shiny blue bike...... can't wait!!!!
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, somebody might need a ride home.........
grin.gif

rolleyes.gif
Yeah, somebody might need a ride home.........
grin.gif
Ray has a truck.
tonguesmiley.gif

Drive to my place - you ride the FJR over with all the crap I need to take and I'll ride the DRZ over...

rolleyes.gif

I am going to try and follow Allen_C up that way. I was going to try and change the fork oil in my '05, and I have two quarts of said oil. I have the time requested off and should be counted in to hold beers and watch and ask lots o questions...

I am going to try and follow Allen_C up that way. I was going to try and change the fork oil in my '05, and I have two quarts of said oil. I have the time requested off and should be counted in to hold beers and watch and ask lots o questions...
Cool! Be sure to get the pieces and parts for your forks as well. One of the smart fellers can tell you for sure what parts you'll need.

The more I read what you guys are posting the more I am looking forward to this. I just hope my work schedule stays out so I can make it.

Joe, I plan on heading to Bust's to do some suspension greasing, lubing, and what-not.

I'll probably stop up at that coffee shop to meet the Michigan crew again. Let me know if you want to ride up together.

Joe, I plan on heading to Bust's to do some suspension greasing, lubing, and what-not.
I'll probably stop up at that coffee shop to meet the Michigan crew again. Let me know if you want to ride up together.
Sounds good to me...I had a great time last year. I have a few things to throw on the new bike.

Sorry, but I have to bail on the tech day. When I originally confirmed, I was under the impression that we'd be going back to Geek's house. Tried to work things out, but no go. I will take a rain check for next year though. You guys play nice and don't break anything that doesn't belong to you. I'll see many of you at the SEOH Ramble.

Sorry, but I have to bail on the tech day. When I originally confirmed, I was under the impression that we'd be going back to Geek's house...
So what you are trying to say is that there is still an outstanding warrant in Michigan with your name on it. I told you not to go riding around naked in Owosso last time but would you listen to me?

Well Billy, it was a really hot day. What can I say? If I wasn't so intoxicated, I may have seen the flashing lights in my side mirrors.

I am going to try and follow Allen_C up that way. I was going to try and change the fork oil in my '05, and I have two quarts of said oil...
If the forks have never been serviced you should consider replacing the bushings and seals.

For a 2005 Gen 1:

Upper Bushing (slide 1) - 4SV-23125-10-00 (2 required)

Lower Bushing (slide 2) - 4SV-23135-10-00 (2 required)

Seat 1 - 4SV-23115-00-00 (2 required)

Fork Seal Kit - 4SV-W003B-00-00

These parts along with the fork oil should be enough to completely service both forks. The part listed as the seat is just a big flat washer that sits between the upper bushing and the seal but sometimes these can be damaged taking the forks apart and IMHO it is worth a few dollars to have new ones ready to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamafitter,

Thanks for the heads up on the parts list. You are the man. I have said parts in my shopping cart and it only totals to about 60 bucks. Now I am thinking that I may want to change my CCT, however would this be too much to try and do during this weekend? When you do the CCT, do you change the chain as well? Or just the cct??

Thanks!