Temptation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
I keep coming across references to the FJ1200, and today I see this at a used car lot of all places, on the way to a customer site:

fj120086forum.jpg

'86, so it's got some age, clock show 17K miles, doesn't have a 6th digit. Didin't see any broken bodywork, has fairly new tires. Haven't heard it run yet. Marked at $2995, seems steep to me, but I don't really know.

All the right antique parts: air-cooled, carbs, vented (not drilled) discs with single-piston calipers (exactly what you need at 150 MPH!) OK, no kick starter, so it's not totally prehistoric. Has 4-into-1 exhaust with a Supertrapp. Hopefully carbs have been accomodated to the exhaust. Not sure about the engine cooling fins being black instead of aluminum color, like all the bikes I see when I search Google images for FJ1200s.

But I like it!

I've been checking out the FJ1200 as a second steed as well. My only worry is obtaining parts for the inevitable wear I'd put on her.

Just like you, I like the looks too. :dribble:

I keep coming across references to the FJ1200, and today I see this at a used car lot of all places, on the way to a customer site:
fj120086forum.jpg

'86, so it's got some age, clock show 17K miles, doesn't have a 6th digit. Didin't see any broken bodywork, has fairly new tires. Haven't heard it run yet. Marked at $2995, seems steep to me, but I don't really know.

All the right antique parts: air-cooled, carbs, vented (not drilled) discs with single-piston calipers (exactly what you need at 150 MPH!) OK, no kick starter, so it's not totally prehistoric. Has 4-into-1 exhaust with a Supertrapp. Hopefully carbs have been accomodated to the exhaust. Not sure about the engine cooling fins being black instead of aluminum color, like all the bikes I see when I search Google images for FJ1200s.

But I like it!

R1 and R6 calipers fit straight on according to many on the FJ Club website. lots of advice available.

I've got 80 K on my '89 -still runs and looks like new. It will easily outrun my FJR-the off idle lunge is amazing. Four piston calipers and discs from '89 on can be found as can any other parts- I think OEM parts are in stock. 5.5 x 17 inch rims from the FZR1000 can be stuffed in there with a 190 spec tire and radials greatly improve handling. Best bike I ever had- the FJR is not as much fun but I definitly needed to calm down..

My best pal in California has had one for many, many years. Loves the thing, Rode it to work every single day for three years, he said - rain or shine.

I'm really trying to get him onto an FJR, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '86 FJ1200 outfitted very similar to the one in the photo (Supertrapp slip-ons, new Dunlop sneakers - that tread pattern looks to be the same as mine). I have about 49K on mine now, and I still love it. It was my long distance touring machine before the '04 FJR came along. I still try to put miles on the FJ every year. I commute with the FJR (hard cases do a better job in keeping the rain out of my laptop), but its still a blast to ride around with the FJ.

Added bonus: because its 20+ years old, I can enter it in the Owl's Head Transportation Museum's annual motorcycle show. I did it for the first time last year and it was a blast: clicky. :yahoo:

As for the price, that sounds about right. Might get him down to $2,500. I have been offered that regularly for mine. I understand Legends car racers like / use the FJ engine.

Scoop it up! You won't regret it. ;)

Here's a shot of my two rides:

db_P10103851.jpg

I bought one of the very first ones to hit the east coast, took del. in march of 84. Lost the bike in a divorce battle 3 years later. For all intents and purposes it is what a 70 hemi challenger is to a new hemi challenger. The FJ is simple, fun, fast, easy to work on and was still sold until recently outside of the states as the XJ 1300 I maybe a little off on the letters. Parts are no problem, the motors were/are used in the legends seriers stock cars, there are companies out there that still offer bigbore kits and engine builders who specialize in those motors. I've been told that over 200 HP is not uncommon in race car trim. Trannies need a little help, the dogs need to be undercut on the earlier ones and if you frequent the drag strip enough a clutch upgrade will be in order, front fork springs should be upgraded as well, and a lot of people with the earlier models have moved up in tire size on the front.

I got to set on one a couple of months ago,seemed so small and lite compared to the FJR brought back a lot of memories, I love my FJR, BUT if I could find a really cheap basket case, for me at least it would make a great solo/hooligan bike. 200 hp on that bike would sure raise some eyebrows, It would be quite the dyno racer lol. If you get real serious Vance&Hines used to have a complete engine program for the FJ1100/1200 they ran one for a couple of years in the PRO series. The price at 2995.00 maybe a little high, but low milage ones in great shape can bring more that that. So much for jap bikes not holding there value, I think I paid 3300.00 for mine brand new in 84.

Do it. They are cheap, fun to ride, fun to mod and just plain fun.

There is pretty extensive inet support for them still especially pertaining to the mods. You'll find that most serious FJ mod folks have worked out the swingarm + fork replacements which also obviously allows for the brake hardware to be upgraded. I've ridden both stock and heavily modded versions and I can tell you with swingarm/USD fork mods which allows standard size radial rubber to be used these things are completely transformed. Even by today's standards they still have a ton of grunt to them. Just like the FJR the motors run forever too.

Check this picture out (link) and you can see both the USD fork swap but the rear swingarm swap + standard (180r and 120f) radial rubber. New appropriate brake hardware and they did a 1300cc bore which is why you see the 1300 designation. Sweetness.

MA5.jpg

A woman on Ebay was selling a 05 FJR in prestine condition, she bought it new for her husband who had a FJ.

The husband wouldn't ride the FJR because he preferred the FJ, so she had to sell it.

GO FIGURE!

My only worry is obtaining parts for the inevitable wear I'd put on her.
Can't speak for the plastics but the drive train stuff is always available (Legend racing cars) in new/used and racing versions.

As stated above, a lot of swapping out and minor machining only needed to redo suspension/brakes/rims so as to allow new generation parts and rubber.

They are great rides.