The Death of Andrew Knight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
I have been the FJR Forum Administrator for over 5 years now.

There has never been a more difficult post for me to make that this one right here.

Recently there has been some questions surrounding the details of Andrew's death. While we'd like to be a forum completely open to any discussion, we don't think it would be possible to do that while remaining true to Andrew's memory in this of time of raw emotions and grief. Also, a number of Andrew's friends and family have joined us on the forum to share and work through the all-important grieving process and we will remain respectful of them.

However, it is important that forum members know the accurate circumstances involved in the loss of our beloved Orangevale, as this is a critical factor for many who are still working through the grieving process.

Andrew's motorcycle mishap was not an accident. It was intentional.

There had been speculation on the whys and wherefore's, but without proof, we didn't want to pander to rumor. Speculation surrounding the circumstances of Andrew's decision will not be allowed on this forum, certainly not while Andrew's children and family are here reading the forum and working out their grief. Andrew was a well respected member of this forum, and we will not tarnish his memory by trying to make sense of his pain.

That said, administrators and some members who were close to Andrew don't want anybody to feel that they may have contributed to the memorial fund under false pretenses. We realize that some individuals hold strong feelings about this kind of loss. If you have the slightest doubt about what you may have donated in the past you are urged to contact ponyfool and he can easily initiate a complete refund.

If you feel you must talk to somebody about Andrew's death you may direct PM's to Ignacio. I personally do not wish to engage even in PM discussion; I am barely capable of getting this post out as it is. Iggy will be honest and open about what he knows. There are also a few board regulars who would probably be open to a PM, and Iggy can steer you to them, as well. I would just ask that you remember Andrew was a great personal friend to myself and the other admins, and we're grieving his death as much as anybody.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

In closing, I want to make it ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY clear that any comments made will be respectful of the loss of our friend. Again, Andrew's family members are here reading the forum. If any one of you steps out of line (and you know EXACTLY what I mean), you had better believe what I tell you here and now: not only will I step on your neck and cut you off at the knees, I will ban you forever, and I will erase every one of your posts, and remove any trace that you were ever a part of this forum. It will be as if you never existed here. I trust I have made myself clear on this matter.

Don't put me in a position to do this, people, because believe me - trust me - with the emotions I am feeling right now, I won't blink as I eradicate you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough news, tough post. Thanks, Dale.

Edit: Any offering I gave was for my memories which are irreplaceable, my heart for Andrew and for his family. That hasn't changed.

It doesn't change the fact that I miss him. Thanks for posting the clarification! This really is a difficult time.

At the end of the day, this is but a footnote and it matters not to me. My friend, my buddy Andrew has left an enormous legacy.

I see his waggish smile, I hear his facetious laugh and I'm trying to catch-up on some heady thoughts or twisty bits of road... There he is. I see him.

This is how I knew and this is how I will remember Andrew.

How a man passes away has no reflection on the way he changes the world. Andrew was a big part of our community that's now missing. Thats all that matters.

warchild wrote a very good post. thanks for that, warchild.

i've known andrew via the boards (pashnit and SBR) for quite some time. though we never met in person, we've shared many adventures together via the internet and the phone.

i found out that it was not simply "an accident" a few days ago. admittedly, i was pretty angry when i first found out. i was angry at andrew for doing such a thing and hurting so many people. quite honestly, i still am angry. i was pretty devistated when i found out he'd passed away, and even more so for reasons entirely different when i found out that his passing was by his own admission.

it does not change the fact that his often bright personality, fantastic posts, great pictures, and thorough dedication to the sport he loved...the sport he ended his life doing....it does not change the fact that he will be sorely missed by myself. as angry as i am at him, i still feel choked up and saddened by the fact that he's never again going to brighten my day with his pics, his stories, and his seemingly cheerfulness.

my sorrow for sherri and his children has not diminished in the slightest.

i do not believe in heaven or hell. i do not believe in gods or angels. i do not believe in spirits or demons. but i do believe that if he could take it back, he would.

ride in peace, my friend.

WC -- that was a difficult thing to post. At the least, it's no longer necessary to meet inquiries with "well, what have you heard?" before addressing what's being asked.

To me, it makes absolutely no difference in donating. The expenses are the same, the need is the same, maybe the tragedy is even greater -- either way, we lost a gentle soul and a good man. I knew Andrew well enough to know that much for sure, and I'm certainly not qualified to judge any part of what led to this terrible tragedy.

We're all human, all given to frailties and imperfections, all suffer our own demons and pain -- sometimes out of sight of others. There, but for the grace of God, go I. There is nothing we can do to change what happened. But we're still here, and I hope that what we do is celebrate the good, forgive what we must, keep a part of what he gave us, and provide comfort and kindness to one another.

Thank you Warchild for posting this as tough as it was, you are indeed a man of integrity. Remember Andrew and know that he lives on in this forum and in all that he touched. What matters most is that he lived, and from all that he left behind for all to see, he did so well!

Andrew's death is a tragic loss, no matter what the circumstances. My heart goes out to Sherri, their children, and the rest of the family, both close and extended.

Thank you for making that very difficult post.

The loss of Andrew is perhaps even sadder than it might have been had the circumstances been an accident. His mind must have been incredibly tormented by whatever the problems were, to have taken this action.

His legacy to the forum remains unchanged. He will be missed greatly.

Jill

However it came to be, it doesn't bring him back or make the loss to his family any less. It probably makes a diificult situation even worse. Thanks for the post WC,difficult as it may have been.

I hope this eases some suffering on the part of the members here who have been afraid to saddle up or have been distracted since the news of Andrews passing broke. I pray that Andrew's family understands why this decision had to be made. And I thank Warchild for being big enough to step up and take care of some seriously sensitive business.

Andrew was always a safe rider who rode within his abilities and preached "The Pace" and ATGATT fervently. I have to think that he would not want people to go forward thinking this was just another senseless accident, and feeling unjustly vulnerable to their own demise. I'm not saying it's the safest thing in the world to do, but I don't believe wrecking is inevitable either.

I know I am not the only person who looked up to Andrew's abilities to pilot a motorcycle as something to aspire to. My only regret is that we never had the chance to go "one on one" down a twisty ribbon of mountain pavement. The only opportunity we ever had was heading North on Hwy 49 one afternoon, as I joined him on the return leg of his trip down for a Patriot Guard ride. There was a slower rider between us, but I figured he'd catch up at the end of the canyon, where I planned to stop.

I took off, but Andrew would not pass the middle bike and give chase. I know it was out of concern for the other rider trying to keep up, and riding unsafely as a result. I also know how badly he wanted to let me get a ways out ahead, then reel me in and run me down like an amateur.

That was the quintessential Andrew- always making sure that everyone else was cared for, even to his own sacrifice. That's the man I'll always remember, and who's spirit I will try to foster in myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts