The Death of Andrew Knight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for making that very difficult post.
The loss of Andrew is perhaps even sadder than it might have been had the circumstances been an accident. His mind must have been incredibly tormented by whatever the problems were, to have taken this action.

His legacy to the forum remains unchanged. He will be missed greatly.

Jill

If anything this just makes the grieving process more intense. My deepest sympathy goes out to his wife, children and extended family here on the forum!

LC

WC,

Thank you for letting us all know. This answers some questions, and opens a bunch of new ones, but in the end it doesn't matter.

We have all lost a valuable Forum contributor, some of us have lost a close friend, the most important people have lost a husband, a father, a son, or a brother.

My wish to extend my condolences has only increased with this news.

To say I just hit the floor would be an understatement. However, I've hit it before, and will again. If anything, it makes the whole thing that much more tragic, and I miss him even more knowing now that there were things going on that I had no inkling of, often the case, I guess, when life events of this magnitude occur. He was, still is, and always will be one of the shining lights of this place, and it is evident by the outpouring of sentiments here that many share this opinion. Nothing can ever change that. Nothing. I feel that much more badly for the family is all.

And as for the monetary donations? They are for Sherry and the Children. No second thoughts needed.

That had to be a difficult post Dale, thank you. The internal pain and demons a person may suffer, and the tragic conclusion that may be drawn, is not for others to understand or judge. He was a caring soul... end of story. As for donations, they are for his family left behind... it has nothing to do with how someone left this world.

Tough call, Warchild but I think you've done the right thing.

It won't change my heartfelt sympathy for his family while I cannot even begin to comprehend Andrew's decision.

I hope I'll never have to face those demons.

Stef

Thanks for your words WC. No doubt very difficult for you to do, and no doubt it was the right thing to do. We all appreciate it, and while perplexing, in a way is helpful.

Having known other families that have gone through something similar, I know that the families, loved ones, and friends are hurting - devistated - and need all the love and support they can get.

My memories of Andrew (through this forum) and my reason for providing a donation for the family remains unchanged.

Life is fragile, sometimes fleeting, and at times very difficult. I am proud of this group and the outpouring of support for the family - lets also remember to lift each other up during this difficut time.

You all are great. Jay

Dale:

Thanks for sharing this difficult news with us. We know these are hard and emotional times. It is a shame that a life, so full of life, sometimes has a ending that is hard to understand.

If we thought we slightly understood the emotional state of the family, we were only at the tip of the iceberg of what they are going through with the loss of Andrew.

I continue to pray for all those involved in this tragic event. May GOD hold you and guide you through to the next step of your lives.

Warchild- Thanks for doing what needed to be done, regardless of the difficulty. I believe you ultimately did it because speaking openly and honestly on this forum is what we do. It's one of the many things that makes this forum so great. It's how we're able to know people as well as we do here, despite sometimes never meeting them in person. It's the reason why I, and so many others, have been hurting so badly this week from Andrew's death even though we never met him in person. We're honest with each other here....sometimes to a fault. But I'll take brutal honesty over any alternative any day of the week.

What Andrew has contributed to this forum and the subsequent void that's been created with his passing is completely unchanged by your news. For those who feel they have a right to judge, maybe it makes a difference. But for me.....and, I'm guessing, MOST others....it merely makes a sad situation sadder.

I know emotions are as raw as can be right now. Alone, this may seem unbearable. Together, we will get through this....

Theres nothing I can say except that it now seems more tragic.

Thank you WC. Peace to Andrews family and also to his soul.

Very sad.

Thank you for finding the strength to write such a difficult post.

This doesn't change my memory of Andrew one bit.

-=Chris

I deal with accidents daily and suicides occasionally. This one hurt.

"not a mishap"

makes no difference to me who can't pass judgement,

hurting for the loss of a person I barely knew,

sending support to his loved ones.

Bob

Thanks WC

As a mental health professional, I have unfortunately heard the kind of news you delivered Dale, and far too many times. I am impressed with the bravery of Andrew's family and their coming to us on the forum even more than before. Depression is a potentially fatal illness -- nothing less. And anybody looking to hurt this man's legacy or his family at this time will forever lose my respect. My deep respects to all the people Andrew touched with his personality. And thanks Dale.

Michael

As other's have stated, this just makes it all the more tragic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Warchild, there's nothing you've said of Andrew's death that changes my opinion of his life and the impact it had on those who knew him well.

From personal and professional experience, I know that his family will experience a form of grief and other consequences that make support from others, no matter what form it takes, and no matter how tangential the relationship, even more important.

Thank you.

Thanx, Dale. Tough post. However, to me, it makes no difference how the incident that claimed Andrew occurred. I still get teary-eyed reading the great outpouring of emotion on this forum by his family and ALL the forum members. I still consider Andrew to be a friend although I never had the good fortune to meet the man.

I have great sympathy for his family and only wish, as I'm sure others do, that there would be something I could say/do that would ease their pain.

Vaya con Dios, Andrew. Vaya con Dios, Amigo.

It appears to me, by reading through the many threads after Andrew's death, that he made others lives more whole by sharing, teaching, mentoring, etc... I would like to respectfully suggest that that guiding hand can continue after his passing, by pushing any and all of my FJR brethren that are fighting similar inner demons, to seek the help that is needed, in order to live and love, and ride another day.

Whatever it was that caused him to think this was the best way forward, must have been incredibly painful... I'm sorry somebody didn't have the chance to show him the threads/conversations/emotions that have been created/displayed since his death to show him how much he meant to the community, to persuade him to another path. Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life just vividly flashed before my eyes...

My contribution is as it was... to help his family. It's what I would hope people would do if I were to pass away... under whatever circumstances.

When we heard about the accident, we were all grief stricken.

Those that believe in a supreme being no doubt asked;

"How could You take him? Why take one of the "truly good ones" away from us?

Those that don't believe still had to question "how cruel is fate?"

Hearing that it wasn't an accident changes none of that.

It only makes it even more tragic, if that is possible. More reasons to question "Why?"

The one thing it does change, is to restore a bit of our own inner trepidations about how safe or unsafe our sport might be.

I'll confess that I have had several thoughts along these lines over the past week.

My thinking was that if an experienced, highly skilled rider like OV, who always took all precautions, had a fatal single vehicle accident, what chance do I stand in the long run? Am I crazy to continue? Irresponsible?

Knowing that it wasn't an accident changes only that.

So, thank-you Dale for allaying some of my fears.

It was a brave and thoughtful thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.