The evils of linked brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh-oh. At first I thought you were going "to discuss the matter" but you went all the way to getting "in his face". He probably won't like that.
uhoh.gif

I would be willing to discuss these terrible linked brakes... IF I knew what the point of the discussion actually was and where the evil lies. So far it just looks like the OP wants to stir an argument so he can get mad at whomever "argues".

And for the record my FJR brakes worked superbly during my work commute today.

Uh-oh. At first I thought you were going "to discuss the matter" but you went all the way to getting "in his face". He probably won't like that.
uhoh.gif

I would be willing to discuss these terrible linked brakes... IF I knew what the point of the discussion actually was and where the evil lies. So far it just looks like the OP wants to stir an argument so he can get mad at whomever "argues".

And for the record my FJR brakes worked superbly during my work commute today.
People bitching about something they haven't tested, thoroughly tried, have litlle-to-no in-depth knowledge of and want nothing to do but argue with people who correct their technical deficiencies and/or offer suggestions for change are called TROLLS.

Now, now my Grouchy Friend. We mustn't be so judgmental!

For my part I am trying desperately to not use this awful linking system. I have stopped using my back brake entirely to prevent the linking. For my ride home today I am not going to use my brakes at all. None. I figure it's better to crash into someone I can see than to risk my life to the evil possibilities of meeting the unseen demons lurking within that hitherto unnoticed length of brake hose.

The brakes in my truck are linked. Every time I press the pedal, the rear brakes activate, AND the front ones go off. Makes me crazy, because it reduces my stopping distance, and I can't slide around as much as I want.

The brakes on my FJR? Well, the only reason I know they're linked is because I RTFM, and you guys won't stop talking about it. I've been on it hard, and never had an issue. I have ridden with some very fast guys, and never heard a valid complaint. Methinks anyone complaining is overstating their ability. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The brakes in my truck are linked. Every time I press the pedal, the rear brakes activate, AND the front ones go off. Makes me crazy, because it reduces my stopping distance, and I can't slide around as much as I want.
The brakes on my FJR? Well, the only reason I know they're linked is because I RTFM, and you guys won't stop talking about it. I've been on it hard, and never had an issue. I have ridden with some very fast guys, and never heard a valid complaint. Methinks anyone complaining is overstating their ability. Of course, that's just my opinion.
You call that thing a Truck? More like a Fire Engine. How much does that monstrosity weigh? Over 8,000 pounds? If linked brakes will stop that monster you might just have me convinced.

Those very fast guys were probably trying to get away from your annoying ass.

I was reading this thread then remembered the other day when i was going too fast and a light turned yellow to red in just a couple seconds. I hit the brakes hard and did not skid or slide just came to a nice stop very quickly. If i had been on my stratoliner i know for a fact i would have locked it up and slid right into or through the intersection. I have no complaints about the brakes on the fjr. I like a lot of the changes in bikes since I have been riding in the 80's. I don't have to mess with a choke anymore, brakes are better (no more back drum brakes, abs), and I like the little lights that come on in the corners at night, I don't need them but I like them.

OP says he hates the idea that his bike has linked brakes. Not that the brakes dont work well, just that he doesnt like the idea of relinquished control.

In other threads we have discussed some of the technical details of possible unlinking. The fact that the front brake pistons are not all the same diameter complicates getting even pad pressure. As it is, if tied to the other three front pairs, the linked pair would increase front brake power by less than 25%, as I recall, at the expense of increased lever travel. The linked hydraulic circuit port would have to be plugged at the ABS hydraulic block. And extended banjo bolts could be used to tie the linked piston pair to the regular pair on the front right caliper. This would all work, hypothetically.

Or, you could just plug the hydraulic block, drain the fluid from the linked caliper pistons, and plug that up. You would have the same front and rear brake power (no gain) but no evil linking.

But when a plan is suggested for unlinking them, he says that unlinking them will be too risky. What possible solution does OP look for here?

The underlying premise of The Princess and the Pea fairy tale is that only a true princess could feel the pea under all those layers of bedding.

The underlying premise of The Princess and the Pea fairy tale is that only a true princess could feel the pea under all those layers of bedding.
Or you might consider the "Prince and the Pee". Easier to piss all over other suggestions rather than consider what experienced and competent long-term FJR owners are trying to say.

Back to front... I like ABS. ABS stops are demonstrably shorter than brake modulation. Not having really needed traction control (does this make me a wuss?), I have no opinion, save that what I've read leads me to think I like traction control, too.
Working from my (limited, two weeks) time in the Alps, where 14% grades show up, grabbing front brakes, during a descent, is not wise. Grabbing a bunch of rear brake first, and adding some front brakes later, has much to recommend itself.

Furkapass - 11% max (the fun starts around 13:30 and is in full play around 15:30)

The paved private road I live at the top of is 17% grade for part of it. It's a great place to test the front ABS when going down it when the road is wet and there's leaves on it. :crazy: Takes a leap of faith to hit the brakes with any authority. :) But I've never had a slide on the hill.

My son, on the other hand, has dumped his bike there when he forgot to turn the petcock on and ran out of gas in the corner and proceeded to dump it. :(

why in hell would someone who doesn't like linked brakes buy a bike with linked brakes ???
banghead.gif
I do agree with this but...

I don't like living in the 2nd Circle of Hell but I got married anyway.

Perhaps he bought this motorcycle without knowing anything about it. Perhaps he did no research before he spent his money. He sure didn't understand This Forum had a different set of folks than what he was used to tormenting.

Well, it takes all kinds. I've even met someone who doesn't like fuel injectors and believes carburetors are better.....

The Princess and the Pea comparison seems dead on. Unless someone told me (or I read it somwhere) I'd never have even guessed that the brakes were linked, and I very much believe that if the OP never found out he'd also not be able to tell.

I've been on a lot of motorcycles in my life, and the brakes on my 2006 FJR were in my opinion stellar. I luckily never had to test out the ABS, but the fact they were on the bike was a major selling point to me...(other than looks, that great motor, and this forum)

But, in an old school mind set I can understand someone thinking that linked brakes on a motorcycle are "not right"...but let's also toss in cast wheels instead of spoked, the aforementioned carburetors over EFI, ABS, and rev limiters.

When I grab a handful (or footfull) of brake encountering unexpected wildlife on a sand strewn piece of asphalt, I am grateful for the ABS and grateful for the linked brake if (in a moment of poor judgement) I use too high a proportion of rear vs front.
Well said. Thank you.

Just for folks reading this ten years from now: linked anti-lock brakes are GRRRRRREAT!

JSNS.