The Great White North Liberation Army on the Move Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great RR Bill.

Wish I was out there, but have a big ride planned foe the end of July. I need to retire!... in about 10 years.
uhoh.gif

Bill sorry you had to take sole charge of this Liberation mission, and you should know that the guy that was supposed to accompany you has been demoted to Private and his Tim Horton's card temporarily suspended while he is on desk duty. Flags were on sale at Canadian Tire today, so I picked up a couple so future missions will be more official. Do keep on taking those spy photos, eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a little late and it was a long day in the saddle but a great ride so this will be short and I will add to it later.

A small rapid outfeed from the trout pond along Spearfish Canyon....

DSC_0002-L.jpg

Carver's fat head is blocking out the Stugis sign in the background....

DSC_0012-L.jpg

There was a trike / sidecar rally going on in Sturgis this weekend....

DSC_0013-L.jpg

Chainsaw carving on display in Keystone...

DSC_0025-L.jpg

Near the top of the Needles Hwy....

DSC_0050-L.jpg

Mount Rushmore from one of the tunnels on the Iron Mountain Road....

mt%20rushmore-L.jpg

Picture #2 should be labeled, "Ugly, uglier and ugliest." Sheesh!
Kevin is not going to like you calling him the ugliest. And to think he was going to Pay Forward some ice cream here in Spearfish for you. Actually that was a shot of the Good, the Bad & the Ugly. Kevin was being good and I'm OK with being the bad guy since I was setting the pace at something slightly above the posted limit at times. We all know that Carver is all over the ugly thing.

A couple more photos from yesterday.

There were a few people doing some interesting rock climbing right along side the Needles Hwy....

Needles%20climb-L.jpg

Carver's fat head is not blocking out the Sturgis sign in this shot....

DSC_0008-L.jpg

Neihart and his merry band of PNW riders plugging up the road....

DSC_0016-L.jpg

Another of the chainsaw carvings down in Keystone.....

DSC_0023-L.jpg

This store was a across the street from the restaurant when we stopped for lunch in Keystone....

DSC_0030-L.jpg

Friday's route....

Mt%20Rushmore%20Loop-L.png

I stayed in Keystone with Tom and Rob in 2010. Basically, a tourist town. What was cool about it, was we could see Mt Rushmore lit up at night from our hotel room.

I"m enjoying this ride report.

Oh btw, I'll be flying support for our invasion forces again next week.

Pict0675.jpg

I like Allen C. He's a good guy. Me thinks I might've enjoyed being in the middle of that crowd. Too far for me but, One day!... One Day! :)
Vic! You just gotta do it! You don't get a second chance at life! Ya gotta make to the black hills. Lots of great stuff to see and do.
I hear you loud and clear, Intech/Fitter. I'd love to go there but, I suffer from a severe and chronic condition called Aviationitis. It's like being a doctor on call 24/7 where every call is some one with their hair on fire that needs something done Right Now! I have to move Heaven and Earth just to make a slot in my schedule to make my yearly EOM run. Not complaining. It's my chosen profession and I knew what I was getting into when I chose it. Don't worry, I ride every day and I'm creeping up on 94K miles on Betsy. The only downside I have to deal with is chronic flat spots on my tires. I'll take that any day of the week considering I ride everyday of the year. :D

Good ride reports coming out this month on the forum and this one is no exception. Hope one day i can join you guys in the big sky country.

Too drunk and tired to post up much from today.

A slightly different view of Mt Rushmore from Iron Mountain Rd....

mt%20rushmore-L.jpg

Kevin coming out of the tunnel at the top of the Needles Hwy....

DSC_0023-L.jpg

If you are wondering about the different bike, Kevin brought four bikes with him to the Roundup. He tried to keep up to me on his Super Tenere on Thursday and failed. He then rode the FJR on Friday on the Mt Rushmore loop and still I had to wait on him, Finally he brought the secret weapon out, the Duck 999 and I let him lead since the Arrest Me Red Duck would attract more attention from the local LEO than my plain Jane FJR.

The Burger House in Custer was worth the stop for lunch....

DSC_0025-L.jpg

There was one Close Encounter of a Buffalo Kind while we were riding over to the Needles Hwy....

DSC_0009-L.jpg

Great read Bill. Enjoying every post of it. I have to get up to the Badlands. It's a beauty, eh?

You'd better get back across the border soon before you become classified as a defector.

Thanks for all your work in putting this ride together. I think I can safely say everyone enjoyed themselves immensely.

A few more photos from the Saturday ride.

Some of the rock formations at the top of the Needles Hwy...

DSC_0015-L.jpg

DSC_0016-L.jpg

After lunch we stopped in at the Visitors' Center at the Crazy Horse Monument. Some of the Indian artifacts and craft work that were on display...

DSC_0032-L.jpg

DSC_0033-L.jpg

DSC_0034-L.jpg

IN the foreground is a model of what the model will look like when completed with the actual uncompleted monument in the background....

Crazy%20Horse%20Model-L.jpg

After watching the movie on the project we needed to get back to Spearfish to get ready for the picnic. By the time I walked over the gang was already into the suds....

picnic%203-L.jpg

It just wouldn't be a proper FJR event without Marty and his shorts....

picnic%202-L.jpg

Tyler though Marty needed a hug....

picnic%201-L.jpg

AbercrombieFJR (Kevin) was the main chief for the evening and did a fine job grilling up the steaks....

picnic%204-L.jpg

Brian (in the background) keep the potatoes hot and ready to serve.

There was steak, potatoes and salad for the main course....

picnic%205-L.jpg

John's wife also made up some brownies and carrot cake for dessert. Neihart was disappointed there was no pie. I was too busy eating to pay any attention to his whining....

picnic%206-L.jpg

After breakfast at the Common Ground Coffee Shop in downtown Spearfish I loaded up the bikes back in the trailer and pointed the rig east down I90 and started the trek back to the Great White North. I have some editing to do on the video that I took during the rides and will be posting those up later.

Thanks Wheatie, if it wasn't for the fact that Bust was such a dork I would have to hold you in low esteem but Barry sets the bar pretty low.

First video from Spearfish. This one was an encounter with a buffalo herd that we encountered near Custer on our way over to the Needles Hwy....

https://vimeo.com/132045401