The ONE Picture Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2007 I rode North to Nordkapp. You can't go any further north on in Europe over the road.

8500kms in 15 days from The Netherlands through Germany, Danmark, Sweden to Norway. And then back home through Finland, Sweden, Danmark and Germany to The Netherlands.

Started with a fresh set of tires, needed a new set when I got home.

Photo was taken just 5kms before a ran out of road.

122-2216_IMG.jpg

In 2007 I rode North to Nordkapp. You can't go any further north on in Europe over the road.
8500kms in 15 days from The Netherlands through Germany, Danmark, Sweden to Norway. And then back home through Finland, Sweden, Danmark and Germany to The Netherlands.

Started with a fresh set of tires, needed a new set when I got home.

Photo was taken just 5kms before a ran out of road.

122-2216_IMG.jpg
Nice!

I ventured out exploring this past weekend in hopes of finding some nice fall color in northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan. Earlier in the week, I had put together a proper route that was 900-miles round trip over Saturday and Sunday, with 95% of those miles being on two lane blacktop through the north woods.

I raised the garage door at 6:30am on Saturday morning to let the svelte, sexy monster out of it's cage. I rolled the FJR out of the garage too.
biggrin.png
It was a brisk 32F with sunrise still 45 minutes away.

The highest temperature I would see on Saturday was 44F. I traveled 466 miles of two lane goodness that day, through two national forests, along Lake Superior's eastern shoreline, and around Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula.The 430 mile return home on Sunday was much the same with a morning temperature of 27F which rose to 50F by 1pm. Fall colors varied from past peak in parts of Wisconsin, to peak in the western portions of the U.P., to another week or more before peak along the shores of Lake Superior.

The photo below was my view for most of the 900 miles. It was taken on Wisconsin county road GG Saturday morning as I rode through the Chequamegon National Forest. What a glorious trip it was.

Onboard-1_zpstjxbpcqq.jpg

Thats a great day in office. I'm queued up for a Sat. AM departure myself. I was planning on skipping off today but two of my clients have other ideas :/

Sometime in 2011

I met Jay, a fellow FJR rider for the first time at a gas station. We introduced ourselves on the forum and since we lived only 50 miles apart, decided to get together and ride. We hadn't really thought about the days' activities past the gas station, so when I asked him what he had in mind, his reply was quick and to the point:

"Let's ride places and eat things."

I thought that was brilliant. I mean really, when you get down to it, what else do you need? A human's basic needs are food, clothing, and shelter. A biker's basic needs are food, a bike, and roads. Even the insatiable wanderer needs an end point. In that same vane, when it comes down to sharing your travels with others, what else really matters? All people want to know is "where did you go and what did you eat".

Food has always played a huge part in my riding adventures. Growing up in the middle of some of the world's best cuisine, the proverbial bar is set pretty high with Pants. Still, regardless of where I ride, I am always looking for that perfect place to eat. I seek that local diner - the one that has no use for advertisement cause everyone there knows all about this place. They serve local foods, and the owner has been cooking it this way for decades. The "décor" might be primitive, and you might even be served on a paper plate, but nobody cares about that. It's what is ON the plate that counts.

My buddy Mike has a fail proof method for finding good food on the road. When lunch time rolls upon us, and we get to the next town (regardless of its size), we ride directly to the center of town, look for the greatest concentration of cars, and eat there. If there is a disproportionate number of pickup trucks, that is even better. No farmer is going to leave his land in the middle of the day for shitty food. In the southeast, many times that town is a county seat. There will be a court house in the middle, and a square of buildings surrounding it. There will be a bail bonding store, a bank, a couple of law offices, two or threes department stores, and a couple of diners. You can predict it like the rising of the sun.

I've always had a sweet tooth, and it particularly manifest itself during the mid-afternoon. On a work day, I fight it off by distraction. But on the bike, I find myself uncontrolled. Inevitably, we have to stop for something at that time, and the allure of that favorite candy bar or ice cream is just too much to pass up. We all have our vices, I suppose.

In that light, before I returned to motorcycling, I didn't have much affection for pie, but that has definitely changed. It seems that across the motorcycling community, a time honored tradition of riding to a place that serves fresh pie has evolved. Motorcyclists seek out these places, and many (including me) would ride hundreds of miles just to try out a new pie. Of course like any other meal, it's not really about the pie. It's about the journey. You see this pie affliction across the board - it doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride, your style of riding, your age, gender, or home town. Riders like to eat pie. I've thought about this from time to time. Maybe the diversity of pie suits our hobby well. Like motorcycles, there are perhaps a hundred different kinds of pies. There is something for everyone to choose. You can pick the fruity kind, or the creamy kind. Thick crust or thin. You can have it warmed, or served right out of the ice box. Ice cream a la mode or not. So maybe the pie place is somewhere that, despite even our slightest differences, we can ALL find common ground. That plus the fact that a hundred grams of carbs makes everyone feel better.

That day, Jay and I (along with others) rode to Natchez, MS. Of course, we took the long, scenic, and twisty way to get there. We stopped to eat at the Pig Out Inn. The BBQ there is excellent, and since I've eaten there many times. They turned some old doors into tables. The smoke aroma throughout the building is delicious. The 3-meat combo plate is far more than I should eat. But I just can't pick between the ribs, brisket, and smoked turkey, so I accept the caloric challenge. Maybe I'll skip the ice cream this afternoon.

But maybe not......

feb2014natchez11_zpsd05cbb22.jpg

Stay thirsty, my friends (and hungry) .....

Last edited by a moderator:

A lot of good day rides and longer trips start from this place...a nice full breakfast. A great launching pad...STAX Original.

Met Griff here for a short 1/2 day ride into the mountains. Duane got the memo and rode from an hour away to make it here...so he rode along as well. His 2007 FJR still does quite well!

Took the day off Friday for a tag ride up north. The 1st tag grab of the day was a covered bridge over the Connecticut River way up in Columbia, NH, north of the White Mountains. The other end of the bridge is in Lennington, VT. I dropped that new tag at another covered bridge in Stark, NH, still "north of the notches."

Ventured over to Glover, VT in the North East Kingdom, and grabbed a tag in a graveyard there. Then rode south through the state on Rte 16, and 14 through the peaking foliage color. Rte 14 was just repaved after NERDS, so it was a fun ride, not too much traffic either.

The sun was bright, temps were cool and the air was crystal clear. Color was pretty much spectacular all day. On my way back to the barn I rode past the (President) Franklin Pierce homestead in Hillsboro and just had to stop for a photo.

IMG_1126.jpg

Yeah... it was like that all day.

Certainly been some good one picture reports here. Keeping with the tradition, it was about time that I threw a nice reminder picture out there.

After riding the straight flat boring roads of Illinois it always takes me a little while to get into the groove of riding curves. On the way to SEO my buddy Mike and I sought out the best tarmac possible to prepare us for the next day. What better road to get you warmed up than the 555!!

Many of you wouldn't even need to see the sign to recognize this place.

The next day, after I got my curvy legs, I did my best to stay with Allen and Prestone.

Posted up a colour ride on FB. Nobody showed up. Big whoop, I like riding alone!

A heavy mist but nice warm temp for the ride down to the Bunny Trail in Parry Sound. Colours around Sudbury are washed out and past prime. I'm hoping a little south of here it'll be at peak. Close to my turn off, the mist turned into a pretty heavy down pour. Woohoo! I'm out in Oct. on the bike with only my nose to follow!

The Parry Sound area was at or near peak colors just about everywhere. It was so beautiful, the air clean, with that ever so slight smell of winter not being far. The ride was fantastic, I did the same loop twice. Miles of curvy road and breathtaking color.

Even in the washed out light of an overcast day the colours were striking.

https://goo.gl/photos/TcQyybK6cENRHmMb7

Big Ogre emailed me saying he was coming north this week from Long Island to take in the foliage before it passes. I agreed to meet him over at Parker's Maple Barn in Mason for some breakfast and a short hooky ride.

When I pulled the bike out of the garage this morning to head on over,
I found that someone had lit the maple trees in my yard on fire!
uhoh.gif

IMG_1128.jpg

Josie was able to come along, so we met Mikey at Parkers, gorged on their deliciousness (as usual) and then took a little jaunt around the countryside on some of the fresher pavement, along Rte 123, 123A, 31 and Rte 149 before we split up in New Boston and he headed south to CT to catch a ferry back to the island.

This has been an awesome foliage season this year in New England. With the severe drought I never expected it to be, but it has certainly been the best in recent years.

Last weekend, a group of riders from another forum I am on got together for 4 days to ride south to GA/TN/NC areas. We left Parkersburg, WV Saturday morning, made it to Johnson City, TN. Sunday we rode down into Clayton, GA. Monday was filled with the big name favorites (Wolf Pen Gap, Six Gap, Deals Gap, Cherohala). Tuesday was a slab home day. 1400 miles in total, only about 450 were slab. This picture was from my pass on Deals Gap. The fastest pass I have ever done on the dragon. Very little traffic and friendly people that pulled off. This trip was probably my last one for the year, and I am glad to end it with an epic trip.

7386495-129Slayer_zpsnpkpb3yb.jpg

Good form there. You've got her heeled over well with your head on-line and not doing any head up counter-leaning nonsense. But...

you should clean the spooge off the bottom of the drive shaft housing before you go next time.
laugh.png

Good form there. You've got her heeled over well with your head on-line and not doing any head up counter-leaning nonsense. But...
you should clean the spooge off the bottom of the drive shaft housing before you go next time.
laugh.png
Pay attention Fred he hasn't yet done the once a year wash prior to being put to bed for the winter

laugh.png
I just changed it and the engine oil, must have overfilled it some
smile.png