The ONE Picture Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
photo assist for bigjohnsd who's on the road .... but maybe not for much longer!
1496255414127.jpg

It reminds me of the song I've Seen Better Days. "....'cause I've seen better days / Been the star of many plays / I've seen better days / And the bottom drops out..."

I'd say the bottom is about to drop out. :D

IMG_4480_zpsmlixtlrn.jpg

Hwy 12, Utah.

My brother was looking to purchase another motorcycle after not riding for a few years. I of course tried to explain the virtues and merits of the FJR... he told me that his days of cutting up the twisties were over, he had no desire for that kind of riding anymore. He just wanted a cruiser/touring machine to take it easy. So he got a Yamaha Midnight Venture, bout a year ago. Fast forward to May 30, unbeknownst to me he found a 2008 FJR locally (I guess he has been looking for a while), convinced his wife that he needed it and then had me go test ride it. I was stoked, I have been trying to get him to go riding for a while, and it seemed like he always just put it off. After he told me that he found a FJR he admitted that he was just not happy with the Venture.

After the test ride, I rode to his home, told him that the FJR was in good shape, he made a deal and we went and picked it up the next day on the 31st. Then rode back to his place, threw the gear on and we were off on his first good ride. I knew that I had to take him on a good ride to really solidify his decision. So we hit Hwy 72 on our way down to Torrey Utah. (Hwy 72 is a two lane seldom used road that is fun if you ever get the chance) We camped overnight in Torrey, had a fire, a beer and talked about how amazing the FJR was how much fun he was having. The next morning after breakfast and coffee we headed to one of my favorite rides, Hwy 12. This is really a must do if you ever get to Utah, you will not regret it.

The ride was excellent, he could not say enough good things about the FJR, and I really bit my tongue to not say 'I told you so' about every three minutes between my grins.

We were planning on another camping/fishing/four wheeler trip later this month... he has nixed that one and wants to do a three day ride on the FJR's. I am thinking of hitting Yellowstone and Chief Joseph Highway... another favorite trip of mine. He was so happy with the FJR that he even talked about hosting SWFOG one of these years in Utah. I think I got him hooked!

The picture above is at one of the overlooks on Hwy 12 between Torrey and Boulder Utah... and it really does not do it justice, not only the view, but the experience of sharing a great ride and the prospect of many more future trips with my brother on the FJR's.

B

July 2017
Reflection

Summer is in full swing here. The humidity is oppressive 24 hours a day. The air is thick and it feels like a blanket choking you at times. None the less, I’d rather ride in miserable weather than not ride at all. So I soak my T-shirt and throw it on. I gear up and fire the engine on the red horse. I powered up the MP3 player and hit the shuffle button. I clunk her down to 1st gear and as I’m releasing the clutch, “Set ‘em up Joe” by Vern Gosdin comes up and I’m off.

Normally on a ride like this, I don’t really know where I’m going and it doesn’t matter much. I just want to feel some wind and have a few hours to myself. I work hard all week. I do what the man tells me to do. I take care of my shit. I pay my dues with my money and my time. When I get home, I do my chores without question. The grass is cut. The cars are cleaned. The house is straightened. I don’t have much to bother me. I usually find my way out into the back country somewhere, where the traffic is thin and my music is good.

But that is not the case today. I know exactly where I am going.

As I head north out of town, the air running through my mesh jacket is nice against my wet T-shirt. The crawfish ponds are calm now as the season is over. Those critters will have 4 or 5 months to eat and grow. Each pond is loaded with Egrets and other shore birds – they certainly don’t mind eating small crawfish. The sugar cane is tall. We’ve had plenty of rain this year. However, the stalks are skinny and it will be a few months before the sweet harvest is underway. But the rice is dry now. Some fields are being cut, and the nutty aroma is delicious running through my helmet. The soybeans plants are green and full – they will be cut soon. I take mental note of all of these things as I roll along the State highways and it pleases me to see it.

Continuing north, in the thriving metropolis of Big Cane, Louisiana, population less than 200, I stopped at a country store shack that couldn’t be more than 600 square feet. I bought a bottle of IBC root beer and a link of Boudin, which is a rice/veggie/pork meat mixture that is encased in sausage packing and cooked in a steam bath.

Out on the front porch, I sat down on one of the two rocking chairs to enjoy my morning snack. An old man is sitting in the other chair. He must be 85 years old. His face is worn like an old leather baseball glove from what surely must be decades in the fields. If he has any teeth, I can’t see them. Wearing overalls, a long sleeved work shirt, and a straw hat, I bid him good morning and we talked a bit about nothing much. His English was broken by a little French and his thick Cajun accent was very familiar to me, although to many outsiders, it might be misconstrued as some kind of foreign language. Still, he spoke freely and seemed pleased that someone cared enough to talk to him. He struck me as a simple man. Probably lived his entire life within 50 miles of where we were, and was content to be there. I’d venture he doesn’t have any deadlines or schedule to be concerned about. Perhaps his biggest decision for today is what to eat for lunch.

I finished my pop and told the old geezer that it was time for me to be moving on. I pull out of the parking lot and AC/DC comes into my ear buds with “It’s a Long Way to the Top, if you Want to Rock-n-Roll”. I firmly believe that anyone that wants to improve their riding skills should have a healthy dose of AC/DC on hand. If nothing else, it will blow the carbon right out of your tail pipes!!!

I turn left onto Hwy 1179 and felt a tingle in my fingers. My palms got just a little sweaty. I turned the music down and started really concentrating. I rolled through the curvy road looking for something very specific. This is where I envisioned going when I left the house this morning and I found it. I pulled my bike over and shut it down. I took my gear off and walked back to the curve. The grass and underbrush is much taller and greener than the last time I was here. The water in that road side bayou is higher too.

This is where it happened. This is where Pops crashed. The tree where he ended up is right over there. The bike was lying in the ditch next to him right here. And the helicopter picked him up right over there in the field. I poked around like a beach comber looking for something, anything, or nothing all at the same time. A flash of red caught my eye and I moved the brush aside to get a better look. Ah – that’s what this is:

IMG_4931_zpschjlflhs.jpg

This is the reflector from Pop’s saddlebag. In the tornado of destruction, it must have fallen off. I wiped it off like some kind of buried treasure, and sat down at the base of the tree to do some reflecting of my own.

I reflected on my countless blessings. I reflected on my wife, and how much I love her unconditionally. I reflected on my children, who are so incredible, I cannot believe came from my DNA. I reflected on my friends - I’m surrounded by good people who do good things for the right reasons. I reflected on my good fortunes, heavy in things that money can buy, as well as many things that it cannot. I reflected on my conquered challenges, and the sweet taste of victory to that extent. I reflected on my health, and how great it is to be able to do whatever I want to do without physical disability. I reflected on my past adventures and future ones that I haven’t even dreamed up yet.

And then I reflected on the fact that it’s so precious and fragile. One wrong turn, literally or otherwise, and it’s gone. We can never know when or even if that will happen, or what it even means for that matter. There are some things we just can’t control. My best shot is to be smart. Take good advice when I can get it. Live a little every day. Love my life and live it with passion. Dismiss my grudges and lay my burdens down. Take frequent assessment of my priorities and hold the highest of these in reverence. See the world physically. Enjoy time with my wife. Don’t dwell on my shortcomings. Give it my best shot, but if that’s not good enough at first, don’t give up. Laugh from my belly every day. Appreciate the little things. See both the forest and the trees. And tell my closest ones that I love them and I am thankful to have them.

The sun came out from behind the clouds and the temperature started rising. So I placed the reflector in my tank bag and pointed the FJR south. The ride home was familiar, but peaceful. I was content to just think about my reflection.

Stay thirsty, my friends…..

Stagecoach Cafe, Stockton, Alabama, Last Ride of the Year, December 30, 2014. My FJR had to park across the street with another 100 bikes.

35713467482_8768dae1a7_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Panman Leading (Kevin) 2007FJR1300A/90,000 miles; Curly Joe (Rich) 2016 FJR1300ES/7,000 miles; Minnesota Jeff (Jeff) 2009 Harley Davidson FLTR Roadglide/40,000*miles; Niehart Sweeping (Dave) 2010 FJR1300A/84,000 miles.

Yosemite was awesome, so was this fellow [Andrea Fanelli] that took this picture.

Minn. Jeff made up a song about me and the first verse goes something like this:

My name is Dave,
They call me Black,
I have to many tickets,
So I ride in back.

What a great crew to ride with and what a great group to ride to.

20863227_10155642248404628_5355092108232579706_o.jpg

And the rest of the story:

"In the meantime, I want to communicate that you guys are on the biggest photography website on the internet:

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/25/photo-four-bikers-power-photography-connect-us/

The piece has been published this morning and everyone is loving the story!

Thanks again,

I hope to meet you soon somewhere around the world!

Andrea"

20229501_10155564014304628_1610877207248570762_o.jpg

I agree about Niehart's photo. That would make a nice desktop image. Here's how you can get a copy for yourself:

Hit the "Quote" button to begin a reply to the post with the photo in it.

Then click the "lightswitch" in the upper left of the reply icon bar to switch from WYSIWYG to "text" mode.

Now find the URL of the image and copy that string.

Paste that string into the URL field of a new browser window.

Expand it to full size if necessary.

Right click the image and do a "save image as".

If you are going to be re-posting the image it is common courtesy to request permission from the owner first, but realistically anything posted on an interwebs forum is in the public domain.

Weekend ride through the sierras including Virginia City and Reno NV, Lake Tahoe and along hiway 4. This picture of one of the mosquito lakes along the route.

i1W1by.jpg

October 2016. Things weren't going as planned with my girlfriend in Las Vegas, so I moved north to the Seattle area where my 2 boys lived. Of course I took 6 bikes north with me, and when you ride, you have instant friends wherever you go. So a woman named Vanessa pops up on Facebook one day and says "who wants to ride?" Turns out I lived about a mile away from her, and she sent me a friend request. Vanessa is a cancer survivor and had started riding only earlier that year in a "live every day to the fullest" concept that she still embraces. We rode locally a couple of times and I met some other riders that she knew.

So someone came up with the idea of riding to the Stonehenge WWII memorial in southern Washington, right on the Columbia river. Oh yeah, in October. Right. I was very hesitant, but the forecast looked okay so 4 or 5 of us left on a foggy morning, headed south on I-5. By the time we stopped for lunch just north of Vancouver, the weather had finally dried up and warmed up to a pretty sunny day. From there we headed east along highway 14, following the Columbia river at the south edge of Washington state.

I was trying out a new idea, I had a point and shoot camera in my tank bag, tethered with one of those retracting key chain things you can wear on your belt. We always had parking lot pictures before and after our rides, but no real ride pics, so I had been taking snapshots of each of the riders when traffic and common sense allowed. I can pull the camera out with my left hand, turn it on, and ignoring the LCD screen, moistly point the whole camera and take a few pics.

Riding along some of the most beautiful scenery I had ever seen (not counting Zion Nat'l park), a train passed between us and the river. I saw it too late to get a pic, but was waiting for another to come along, and when it did, I got this shot of my friend Vanessa on her FZ6 and our other friends ahead. On the way home, others dropped off or went different directions, and Vanessa and I did a long, cold ride to get back home around 11pm. It was the longest ride that either of us had done.

14589971_10209600451466349_8655211078458441789_o.jpg

For anyone still reading along, it seems that my girlfriend missed me more than she expected- she visited me twice while i was living near Seattle, and I moved back to Las Vegas last month and moved in with her.

We bought an FJR1300 in Phoenix a few days ago. No pics of the FJR... hey, I don't make the rules here!!
no.gif
not_i.gif

And a little bit more from the Yosemite picture above.

And the rest of the story:

"In the meantime, I want to communicate that you guys are on the biggest photography website on the internet:

https://petapixel.co...phy-connect-us/

The piece has been published this morning and everyone is loving the story!

Thanks again,

I hope to meet you soon somewhere around the world!

Andrea"