The smell of rubber

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I love the smell of (hot brakes, road goo burning off headers/cats/exhaust pipe (especially on a damp day), hot coolant, motor oil, hydrocarbons in the exhaust...) in the morning."

(To paraphrase Apocalypse Now) "It smells like Victory" (or perhaps "like FJR" since this isn't a Polaris forum).

What did you last clean your exhaust pipes with? The last time I washed my bike I used a bug and tar remover on the exhaust cans and now they give off a chemical smell, sort of like burning rubber.

CrabbyJack

I've had the same wonderment ('where's that rubber smell coming from?') on my ST1300 at various times. It is most notable when there are bugs in the radiator and it has been raining ... my belief is that some of the bug juices make it onto the exhaust header. I no longer notice it.

Oooohh, I just remembered I sprayed the bug and tar remover into the front of the radiator... That's where the bugs were.

I used to always have a faint smell of burning plastic or insulation after a bombing run, on my RT, and to a lesser extent, on my 14 FJR. It's gone away in the FJR but I would not be surprised, or particularly concerned, if it recurs this summer. Rubber is another issue. If your tires are the right size and properly inflated, and you smell rubber, that means you are having fun.

Last edited by a moderator: