The Snell Foundation takes another shot to the chin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great articles Toe, thanks. I have heard for many years now about DOT being better then SNELL, etc.

What I love is, the "scientific community" is in disagreement. This is better then global warming.

Great article again Toecutter, Thanks.

Armed with the information from the first article-link you posted; I continued my mc helmet shopping. It's amazing that the shop I went into (mc gear only) all they pimp is snell. I told the guy I was looking for a non-snell helmet he nearly freaked.

Just told him I did not want one; of course he wanted to banter about the snell being the best ever. Could not find my size, so I'll be pulling a Z1R online....they have a good new lineup for 2010, which is European rated. Nevertheless, the article makes great prudent sense, now with NY-paper putting it out there, Manufactures are going to have to make some tough choices.

Seen this? It's the prequel....
Actually, Professor Harry Hurt was the first to challenge the Snell Standards back in the 90s when he found that some head injuries were being caused by (Snell approved) helmets that were too rigid and he was recommending DOT approved helmets for street riders. He did concede that the rigid Snell helmets might be better for track use since crash speeds on a track are usually at much higher speeds than the average street crash.

After reading his comments, I quit using the Snell approval as a criteria for buying a helmet but I found that almost all of the good fitting, quality helmets were Snell approved so it was hard to get away from it.

A few years ago I bought a set of matching helmets for my wife and I. They are the KBC VR-1 Euro models. These helmets are marked both "DOT" and "Snell Approved."

2008_KBC_VR-1X_Performance_Helmet_Yellow_Black.jpg

The interior in mine was getting a bit long in the tooth (wifey's doesnt get nearly as much use), and since I really liked the helmet I bought another VR-1 in a very similar graphic pattern on closeout from MC Superstore ($50!!). [edit - I just found out that there are still some of these on closeout in S and XS for $30.] I just can't see paying $500-600 for a (consumable) helmet when these KBCs and HJCs are of such close quality. I guess if you have an odd shaped head and that's all you can get to fit then you pay the $$$.

The newer KBC helmet is identical to the old one in every visable way, but it is marked as a VR-1X model and only marked DOT (not Snell). I was pleased when I first noted that, for the reasons Toecutter brings to light, but I don't really know if they changed the helmet or just didn't get Snell approval.

My point is, not all DOT helmets are the same. Remember that helmets were passing both Snell and DOT for a long time. So they aren't all "softer" that Snell's.

Oh, and back to my point about the helmet prices, after I bought the new KBC I dropped it off the mirror while we were away on vacation. The only visible damage is some chips in the paint on the top vent tunnels. But for $50 I went back and bought a 2nd one from MC Superstore. If it was a brand new $600 Shoei or Arai that I dropped I'd probably still be wearing it. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to your fave local moto shop. I've seen some helmets only have DOT on the back.
I just made that mistake, and ordered the Z1R Venom for $119.95 plus local tax. Who started this damned thread? This just cost me money, but I'll soon be sporting the world's softest helmet and, at that price, can easily replace it often....

Lucky me, my Caberg 'Justissimo' is DoT only.

I saw this same info floating around STN about 18 months ago. There was a pretty epic thread over there if anyone else followed it. ALOT of those Arai wearing "I tour on a 'Busa" guys got all hot and bothered for their SNELL biased opinions. I think one member even went so far as to say something along the lines of 'If you don't want the best protection in your helmet (SNELL) you might as well not wear a helmet. :lol:

Ever wonder why every surface inside your car is rounded and padded? It's to absorb the energy of you hitting it at a high rate of speed.

Being an EMT I have seen the effects of a large kinetic impact transferred to a noggin. Making a helmet so hard that it transfers that energy rather than absorbing and dissipating it isn't helping anyone.

So then, Toe, you've convinced me to Gutter Ride and now this, a marshmellow soft helmet.

I need one that's modular. Too much PBJ stuff where it doesn't belong when doing CBA rides and eating on the run.

Anyone have a favorite modular that is DOT approved?